Chapter 31 - Flashbacks

Evelyn

Don't you just hate those nights when you just lay there and stare at the ceiling but never fall asleep?

This is one of those nights for me. I went to bed three hours ago, now it's one in the morning. At least I don't have work tomorrow. I'm a Dauntless Ambassador and work in a room off of the main building.

As I lay there, my mind drifts to many different things.

For some reason, my mind first drifts to Marcus. Why that dumb idiot out of all people I do not know, but my mind just does.

There once was love between us. We got married because I ended up pregnant with Tobias at nineteen and Marcus was twenty one. He insisted on getting married and I agreed because he wanted to so badly. We had been dating ever since I had been half way through initiation. Then Tobias was born in May and we continued to be an average Abnegation family of three.

Work started getting harder on Marcus. He was promoted as leader of Abnegation when Tobias was five. He started coming home every day stressed and pissed at other people. It made it hard for him to love anyone, especially his own family. He'd come home yelling and screaming and it started to scare Tobias so I asked him is he could lower his voice a little so Tobias wouldn't get upset. That's the first time he slapped me; straight across the face. The abuse got worse as the years went on.

When he got home one day he I don't know if he wanted sex to get his aggression and stress away or if he decided that he wanted another kid to beat, so he began to basically force me; not just once either.

He was beating Tobias with his belt when he was only nine. I was four months pregnant at the time and was scared to tell Marcus because I already knew that he would hate the concept. Tobias turned ten that May and I had been trying to hide my growing belly around him and Marcus. At that time I started having thoughts about going to Factionless, but could never get the courage to just leave.

It was one day when Marcus came home. He was yelling and screaming for me to get downstairs. I never came down though, I was doing something way more important than getting slapped and punched my my husband. I was showing a Tobias a little trunk that I put under his bed. I had just finished putting the blue sculpture in it. I told him to keep it safe and to never let his father see it. I kissed him on the head, told him that I loved him and went down stairs to face Marcus with confidence in myself.

He started screaming at me and punching me. He had kicked me hard in the stomach and I screamed out in pain. I remember my vision being blurred with pain and tears and screaming at him that I was pregnant. He yelled at me for never telling him, then kicked me in the stomach again. I remember thinking "now or never" so I stood up, slapped him as hard as I could across the face then walked out in pain, but with confidence.

I had known that something was wrong, and I knew that I couldn't go to Erudite because I no longer belonged in Abnegation. That right there would've been considered a very selfish act.

Only if they knew then how I had been treated all those years...

I went to the only place that I knew I could go even though I wasn't to sure that my decision was a good one at the time.

I went to the Factionless. They took me in because of one: Being the Abnegation leader's wife and Two: Because I was bleeding so badly and in so much pain. I only remember waking up to all of the pain disappearing and being told that I had a miscarriage. There was doctors in Factonless... They were former Erudite for the most part. I ended up growing with them and became their leader.