Chapter 53 - Nightmare

Tris

"Tris, honey. It's time to wake up." I hear Tobias coo stroking my hair.

"Ugh. Fine." I say rubbing then opening my eyes.

The person is not Tobias.

It is David.

I'm not safe in Tobias's apartment like I had guessed.

"Why the confused face, Beatrice? Did you think I was somebody else?" He sneers.

I try to back up, but I bump against the headboard. Suddenly, my arms and legs are chained to the bed and something is over my mouth as David lurks his way toward me, making it seem like every step means the world to him. The heavy yet light pat of his feet make his way closer and closer to me.

But they aren't the same footsteps that I'm use to him hearing.

In fact, I know they aren't his footsteps.

I try to scream for someone, anyone to please come help me, but the tape over my mouth only allows a muffled cry to escape.

I jump when I recognize Cara's crying out in vain from behind me.

My hands somehow are free, but I don't ponder on it, I just whip around to realize that now I am no longer on the bed.

I'm sitting on the floor in the Erudite Hospital.

"It was her fault. She's dead because of her! Dead!" She screams turning to me, hands on top of her flat stomach.

My heart sinks.

I already can tell what happened.

The baby is gone.

I feel hot tears start down my face before I am full out crying.

"Why? Why are you of all people crying?! You had every opportunity to save her! But you didn't! You saved yourself instead you selfish IDIOT! Now she's dead and so is everyone else I ever cared about! Even your own parents! Your brother! Your friends! All dead because. Of. You."

"Wha--" I try to ask. Suddenly, I literally see what happened.

I see David walk up to Cara in her cell; a huge knife in hand. I see myself, unconscious right next to her. Everyone is screaming at David except for me. I'm just laying there, in and out of consciousness.

David unlocks the cell, grabs Cara by her neck and the knife goes into her very round baby bump.

I hear the screams of pain not only from Cara, but the baby's father; my brother and the baby's grandparents; my parents. The baby's aunt; me, is just laying there, barely conscious, not saying a word or moving a muscle.

The vision is gone and I see Cara and the doctors again.

"If it wasn't for you, none of this wouldn't have ever happened." She sobs.

I hear a familiar voice behind me.

"Tobias?" I question.

I turn and see that it is him, but it doesn't seem that he can see or hear me.

I can tell that he is somewhere in Dauntless, but in an office. There is a desk with a computer and a ton of files and papers all over it so you can't even tell where the bottom is.

He is talking to someone who is around his height with dark blonde, almost brown hair dressed in all black as well.

"You know what?" Tobias says to the other guy." I can't stand it anymore, Josh. I'm done with this project. It's just too much work. We will never find them; it's just like a needle in a haystack. Even if we do find them anyway, they'll probably already be dead so why bother. We could be wasting out time on something else; not this. It's just a trap, so why spring it. I'm calling it off. It's for the best."