Chapter 28 - All At Once

Cara

David just came and took Tris and Natalie is freaking out. I don't understand why she is though.

"Natalie. Calm down! She'll be fine. Don't worry." I try to calm her down.

She shakes her head while sobbing.

"H--he-- he's- go-ing t-t-to h-hur-t her. He's going to hurt her!" She sobs.

This can't be good.

"No he won't. She's going to be fine." I try to reassure her and myself.

Tris

David almost drags me through all of these hallways, but I manage to stay on my feet. How big is this place? I can't tell if he is dragging me down different hallways or the same few over and over again. The pain of walking on my leg is too much. It makes my vision go black on the edges and makes me want to go unconscious. But I can't, I have to stay here and fight for my family's life.

He takes a right down a hallway I know I've never been down before because there's stairs at the end of it. He continues to walk speeding up his pace while I limp behind him as fast as I can to keep up.

How am I suppose to do these stairs?

I get my left leg on the stair and try to get my right leg on as fast as possible. Of course, David is there, pulling on the handcuffs barreling up the stairs two by two. I fall hitting my head and letting out a strangled cry of pain. He drags me up the first set of stairs, and halfway up the second. Then he stops, let's go of my handcuffs and looks at me.

"Get up." He growls.

I try my best, using the floor and my right leg to push myself up. I succeed for a minute but begin to loose my balance. Just when I gain some balance back, he pushes me backward, falling down the stairs and landing on my side. I let out a strangled cry again. He continues to kick me as I try to stand, but by now he's got me on the edge of the other stair case. I hold onto the concrete the best I can to keep from rolling down the 20 stairs going down.

He stomps on my hands until I pick them up because I'm sure I have at least two broken fingers my now. Then he kicks me hard in the stomach, knocking the air out of me. I scream as I roll down the stairs, my vision going in and out constantly. I finally hit the floor.

I start wheezing while trying to breathe and start to tremble. The world is going in circles and my vision is blurry and I'm seeing stars. I close my eyes tightly hoping that I could die right here, right now.

But I can't die. If I do, most likely Mom or Cara would be in my place right now. I can't die for their sake.

I just lay there trying to focus on my breathing, not on the pain taking over my body. I only try to stand when I hear David coming down the stairs. If I was capable right now, I could totally run from him and get everyone out of here.

I think I'm going to die before everyone gets out of here.

He stands over me; not saying or doing anything.

And that's enough to terrify me.

I finally get on my feet; using the wall to help me. The world is spinning and my ears are ringing. I hear David yell something, but it's all muffled. I try to reply, but my lips no longer work. It's like I've gone paralyzed but am still standing.

He shoves me into the wall, then goes behind the stairs. He comes back with various things.

One thing I recognize clearly...