Chapter 8 - Unexpected News

Caleb

I feel so guilty to even be alive right now. I shouldn't be here. Why was Beatrice still so selfless towards me after what I had done to her? I was a traitor, but she still died for me, and I just don't get it.

It's been three years, and I still can't get over it.

Quite honestly, I don't think I ever will.

I still live in the Erudite headquarters in an apartment that me and my now fiancée, Cara share. She was also close with Tris at one time, and she also lost her brother, Will, in the war.

I still cannot believe she said yes. We're trying to keep it secret because it's considered to be 'illogical' to get married before the age of twenty-five in Erudite, but at the moment, all that I care about is that we're both happy.

Cara works at the Emergency section of the Hospital in the Erudite headquarters as a nurse, and luckily, she doesn't work nights, and I am currently working in one of the labs in the main office building at the Erudite headquarters.

I've tried to not act so selfish like everyone in this faction, because look where that lead me; Feeling guilty for being a traitor. I know that Tris and my parents would have wanted me to change.

"Hey honey!" Cara says smiling wide and pecking me on the lips. She has been acting weird lately, happy then mad, then happy again, then upset for no reason.

I decide not to worry about it.

The female species can be a strange species...

"Hi. How was work?"

"Uh! As annoying as ever! The other nurses, I don't even get how they have a job! I mean like they..."

I just begin to tune her out, nodding every now and then. I love her, but like I said, she's been acting weird lately, because she never rambles.

"Caleb! Are you even listening to me?" She snaps waking me from my daze.

"I knew you weren't! If you aren't even going to listen, then why the hell did you ask me how my day was?!"

"I'm sorry, Cara. I didn't mean to doze off. Please forgive me. I do care about how your day was!" I reply, not wanting to upset her further.

"It's okay." She replies and begins to tear up.

"I don't know what's gotten into me." She says as I wrap my arms around her.

"It's okay. I love you no matter how you act." I tell her, kissing the top of her head, but I still do have that fear prickling in the back of my mind that something is truly wrong.

"Hold on." She pushes away my hug and runs to the kitchen.

I try to not get offended by that gesture as I follow her to the kitchen. She looks intensely at the calendar, clearly looking for something specific, flipping through the months.

"Caleb," she says, her voice wavering."I'm late." Now she is sobbing.

"I'm late. Oh no, I'm late."

"What do you mean?"

"Caleb. We have to go to the doctors. I- I think I'm pregnant." She says sobbing.

"Why? We only did, well, that, once, and we used protection." I tell her trying to stay calm.