Chapter 57 - Back to Chicago

Peter

I know I use to live in Chicago.

I know that I wasn't the nicest person.

I know that many people I hated have died, but not specifically from me.

I know that I took memory serum before I left Chicago.

I know I haven't forgotten everything although I am not Divergent.

I currently live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin by myself. Milwaukee is also another failed experiment by the Bureau of Genetic Welfare. Just like Chicago. I currently work in an office building as a secretary type person. Really, all I do is the files for this company. Nothing else, just files.

It's a pretty boring life. Just doing paperwork and paperwork and more paperwork. I've had to get glasses because of all of the small print reading that I've had to do. It's so small that I ended up with eye strain and needed glasses.

They make me look Erudite.

I may have moved, but you can never stop petting people, even yourself, into those certain categories.

It's just second nature.

Human nature.

Because of that I've concidered getting contacts.

I just haven't gotten around to doing so yet...

Every day is the same: Get out of bed, do everything that needs to be done in the morning, go to work, do all of that work crap, come home to an empty, silent house, go to bed, repeat.

I really don't like it.

I've tried to make friends, I've tried being nice, I've tried being friendly, I've tried not to complain, I've tried to change my Candorly ways, I've tried to smile, I've tried to stay away from trouble;

I've tried to change my character, but it seems like even the people here know my past.

Do they?

What am I doing wrong?

I don't have much experience with this whole "nice" thing, but I've tried just about everything. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

No one here even bothers to come out and say "Hi" back when I greet them or answer any non-work related questions that I gear towards them.

I even had a small dog, Jo.

He slipped his collar ran away from me as well.

Why does everyone hate me?

I'm not the person I was, or at least think I was.

I've tried to change.

No, I have changed.

Nobody wants to accept that though.

What did I do before all of this to get even people I never even knew to hate me for three years and counting?

*   *   *

I continue to walk to my small apartment after a long boring day at work. It begins to rain, but I don't change my walking pace as I walk down the sidewalk; hands in my pockets, head tipped down, glasses dribbled over with water.

I live at an apartment building quite a few blocks away from where I work.

I still have at least a dozen more blocks to walk.