Chapter 7 - Rules

Chapter 7 - Rules

Tris

I still cannot believe it. Mom and Dad are alive. I wish I could tell Caleb...

Tobias. I miss him so much. I could go on and on about how much I miss him and Chris and Uriah and Zeke and Will and Tori.

Wait. Mom and Dad are alive.

I'm alive.

Are all of the people that died alive too?

My thoughts are interrupted when a dull light turns on slowly, hurting my eyes even though it is still pretty dim.

"Mom? What's happening?"

"It's morning, so David turned the lights on."

"Wait. David from the Bureau?"

"Exactly." A masculine voice that sounds nothing like my fathers replies.

The door to my left of the hallway opens and out comes none other than David.

Before the door closes, I see another hallway with what looks like this one that I'm in now. Maybe more people who were 'dead' are alive.

"We have some catching up to tell her, don't we Natalie, Andrew?" He says with an evil smirk.

I stand up and walk over to the front of my cell, and even though I don't want to be any closer to him than I have to, I want to hear what he has to say.

Crouching down to eye level with me, he stares at me long and deeply, as if he is trying to read my mind.

"But, this all must be such a shock to that small, genetically pure brain of yours that I won't tell you right now." He says, still smirking.

I just stare back, not wanting to tell him how curious I am about what he has to say.

"Well then," he says standing up,"Since your brain is in so much shock that you won't speak, I'll be back." And he walks out the door to my right.

I start breathing heavily, pain returning to my side yet again. My knees buckle and I fall to the ground.

"Beatrice, come here," Mom tells me.

I begin to crawl over, breathing so heavily that I may cough up a lung. Once I get to by the bars separating our cells, she grabs one of the two blankets that I didn't realize I had in the cell. She lays the bigger one out and tells me to lay on my side on it. Pulling up my shirt, I expect her to gasp or make a face at the ugly sight she would have seen, but she doesn't. Not because of being use to the sight of blood, but because it's just a bruise about the size of my fist.

I also notice that I'm not very skinny for not eating in the past three years.

"Shouldn't I be skinnier for not eating in so long?" I ask because maybe she knows something i don't.

"The person that has been bringing the little food and water we get has been giving you food in the form of a injection. Why the needle went in your rib cage I do not know, but that must be why your so bruised; from getting jabbed with needles."

"Here, let me help you stand up. David may hurt you and I if I'm caught checking out your wounds, even though you clearly have none," she says standing up and reaching a hand to me.

I sit up and hold onto her hand with my left hand and pull up on the metal bar and finally get on my feet. I'm way better balanced than earlier this morning.

"Thanks."

Until now I didn't realize how hungry I actually was. Dad must have heard my stomach because he says,"They usually bring the food for the day soon. It's usually an apple, a slice of bread, a glass of water, and sometimes a slice of some kind of small slice of meat."

As if on cue the door to the right of the hallway opens and two people come out. David and one other person. He walks up (since I'm finally standing, he doesn't have to crouch down as low be at eye level with me)

"I see you're back on your feet, Beatrice." He says slyly.

"It's Tris to you."

"I will call you what I feel like calling you, and right now I'm calling you Beatrice. You will learn to not question me, or else there will be consequences for your actions of defiance."

"Really? Consequences? What am I? Three years old or something?"

All of a sudden he pulls a gun out of his pocket and shoots at the ground by my left leg, missing by a few feet. Just enough to prove a point. But I still jump back a little. He walks closer and grabs the collar of my shirt.

"To bad for you, little girl, that I don't tell you the rules of this place. You just have to use your small mind and figure it out yourself. You will not speak unless you are being told to answer something and you will especially not speak in that manor or tone. Is that clear, Ms. Prior?" He spits in my face.

I hesitantly nod not wanting to speak because I know my voice will be shaking.

"Good. Your food will be given to you in a little bit by Derrick," he says pointing to the man behind him.

"Oh, and he and I communicate. He'll get to me if anything needs to be addressed around here, Beatrice."

"Very well." Is all he says before walking out the door to the left with Derrick following.

I am just left standing there looking at the dent the bullet left in the concrete.