42

"Cryssy has cooties!" her little brother, Chris, shouts followed by a fresh round of giggles.

"Hush before I pass them on to you," she threatens, puckering her lips and leaning close to him.

"Ew! No!" he shouts, moving over to the other side of the booth with Nadia.

"You'd better run punk," she teases, scooting over so that the girls could have more room.

They were currently seated in a circular booth at one of her mother's favorite places to eat—a diner she worked at shortly before moving to Korea. The place was revamped just a little, but mostly the same and they were glad they could share some memories of the place with the kids.

"It still blows my mind that you're this lucky. You're living every army's dream right now," Cheyenne says, reaching across Natalia to pat her on the hand.

"I like to think he's the lucky one, but I do acknowledge that many would kill for my spot too," she replies.

"That's an understatement. How much longer do you have to keep your relationship a secret Cryss?" Natalia asks.

"I don't know kiddo, but I must say I don't mind keeping it private. We haven't really discussed it yet, but I'm sure he feels the same," she says, taking a sip of her root-beer float.

"But the whole world will think he's single," Cheyenne exclaims.

"So? Let them think what they want," she replies with an unbothered shrug of her shoulders.

"It doesn't matter what the world thinks, as long as they have an understanding. Besides, would it really make a difference if they knew he was taken?" Nadia cuts in and Crystal nods in agreement.

"People aren't going to just ignore how attractive he is just because he has a girlfriend. You two aren't quite old enough to understand, but the more unattainable someone is, the more people will be attracted. Think about it, you girls have huge crushes on idols—older, handsome, rich, and unattainable to you. You spend your time fawning over them when I'm sure there are attractive boys your age in your classes," Crys explains, giving them a knowing look.

Both girls had countless stories of boys their age trying to ask them out on dates, but they'd compare them to their favorite idols and deem them unworthy, hung up on the "guys of their dreams" instead.

Both girls look dumbstruck, sitting back in the booth with heavy thinking faces.

"Talk about food for thought. On that note, let's get out of here. I have a surprise for you," Nadia sings, making Crystal look over at her curiously.

"Mom, you've already done so much. This Birkin could cover the next two birthdays," she exclaims, making Nadia laugh.

"I've done nothing short of what you deserve. I promise this is the last surprise though," she winks.

 I promise this is the last surprise though," she winks