VI Nor a Guest Nor a Prisoner

Imladris, 3018 TA, October 2

Xena was now safe in the House of Lord Elrond east of the Sea. She found that she no longer felt in need of rest or sleep but had a mind for food. Elrond and all three of his children have left her alone. As the noon drew on, she decided to get dressed and explore Rivendell, and if she were lucky enough, she would feed herself. She got out of bed and discovered that her broken leg was a little better at moving. Along with that, she still needed to use the wooden stick to support herself.

She dropped her gaze on her clean garments of black cloth and her leather armour. In the light that flows water-like through the windows of the old bank, Xena stripped off the nightgown, that strangely enough, she was wearing still. Looking in a mirror, she was startled to see a much better reflection of herself than she remembered. Against her ghostly skin, her cuts and bruises were grotesque, but she knew she was lucky not to have died.

She sighed and reached for her black cloth garments to wear. "Lucky," she scoffed, taking one more look at herself. Anyone returning after their death would be thankful to be back and alive, and she was not. She had accepted her death; she was ready to leave the living world. And now what? She would have to start a new life in this unknown forsaken land called Middle Earth.

However, she was a stubborn one. Stubborn in all the best and worse ways. And once again, she would live through this life, which she wished to be a short one. The garments fitted her excellently. Again she noticed the high quality of the fabric, which was made of natural fibres that seemed to sometimes hold up better over time. Her thoughts were interrupted when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in," she prompted.

The door opened, and a fair elf maiden appeared. She had long dark hair, like hers, and her eyes, a light blue, shined in the intense light the room provided. She held a wooden basket filled with towels, robes, soap, and slippers. "My Lady, I brought you elements needed for your future baths. You will find the springs in Rivendell's eastern parts, on the edge of a narrow gorge of the river. In case you need a warm bath, every building provides one in the north parts." the elleth explained as she placed the basket on the edge of the bed. "Shall I aid you further, My Lady?" she said, offering a gentle smile to the tall woman in front of her.

Xena sized the beautiful elleth noting the fine details on her body and face. There was a slight silence inside the room as she leaned over and checked the basket. The elves gave her a generous and hospitable welcome, and she seemed baffled at their gestures. They rescue her and dress her; however, they do not trust her and they would even kill her if she tried to escape. She smirked; it was not easy to kill her only if she allowed it.

"No, thank you," Xena said with a monotonic tone cutting off the beautiful maiden. "I will figure things out on my own."

"If you need anything else, I'll be at your service. I'm Aeneth, chamber and pure maiden of the house of Rivendell." the elleth introduced herself and bowed.

"I will inform you, Lady Aeneth, if needed," Xena added as she turned to face the mirror once more. "You can ensure your Lord that I have not escaped..." she rose her gaze and looked at the maiden through the mirror. "Yet!"

"What are you suggesting, my Lady? I am only following protocol," Aeneth smiled, bowed, and exited the chamber leaving Xena to her devices.

At that moment there, she knew that she was being watched. Her instincts had kicked in, and she knew that Aeneth was not there only to offer gifts and her aid but to check if Xena was still in her room. She decided to ignore it. For the time being, she would play along. But she could not promise that her anger would allow her to be treated as a fool.