IX: The Dwarf Friend

~ Gimli ~

Imladris, 3018 TA, October 19

Autumn leaves swirled and waltzed over the soundless dawn, as though putting on a magnificent display. Her mind rewired itself as memories from the previous night gradually return to her. Xena awoke enraged by the incident. She has never been treated in such a manner throughout her mortal life. Not only was she dragged along the halls to her bed-chamber, but it was also the manner in which she was flung and hauled into her chamber. She was never going to forgive the Elf.

She yawned and sat up, casting a quick peek at the October fest that nature was hosting. Everything was in perfect harmony: the trees, the leaves, and the grass. She acknowledged that she may get used to waking up surrounded by the sounds of nature in peace and quiet. However, she was bothered by something. The elf was the very last of her genuine concerns. She was in a foreign world and needed to discover more about its existence, recover, and finally escape and find her own answers.

She was well aware that it was all her fault for allowing herself to be treated like a child. Perhaps not totally her fault, considering none of this was intended. She was well aware that things were awful, but they might always deteriorate further. She never gave credence to the saying but she had lived it her past life. However, in her new existence, she began to believe it. She spent the next several days reading books and maps in between her chamber and the study hall, taking her time to absorb as much as she could about Middle Earth.

She would have given up long ago if not for the hope that she may yet return. Returning to her own world, where she was no longer alive and less worried. At the very least, someday. She was adamant in her refusal to accept she was stranded in Middle Earth. And, apart from the information she gained in such a short period of time, the elfish healing was one she could not comprehend. Xena was experienced with healing techniques; she had spent years treating her own injuries and those of others. However, the healers of Rivendell, particularly Elrond, had enchanted her.

She had mapped the majority of Elrond's home, as she became more acquainted with it each day. Xena had even observed the elves practising in the north fields. She saw how inhumanely they behaved. She found herself longing she could just stroll down the training grounds and combat one or two elves. It would undoubtedly assist her in determining their true strength. The texts preserved critical features in their original form but not details. However, her broken leg was preventing her from going, even though it was gradually recovering.

During those ten days, she avoided the elves, who did not seem to be seeking her either. At the very least, she had realized they were occupied, particularly Elrond. After all, he had informed her that an ancient evil was reawakening. By now, she was aware of the Dark Lord, the one ring, and the increasing darkness. Even his children and Legolas went undetected. She took pleasure in their absence.

She did, however, have a few accidental interactions with the dwarfs. It took her considerable time to realize they were a different race, comparable to the elves. However, they seemed more genuine in her eyes. And they despised the Elves. That was the primary reason she sought their company on occasion. And she recently had supper with Gimli, during which they engaged in a lengthy debate about Middle Earth, the growing Evil, and the elves.

"Do not go any further, Lass!" a loud gravelly voice shouted after her. Gimli slid a muscular arm over her shoulders and grabbed her, stopping her. "No further! It's dangerous! You risk injuring your leg worse!" he insisted.

"Let's move on!" she said, resting her right hand on Gimli. "Throughout my life, Gimli, I've had many worse injuries. I feel I am capable of going a few further yards without difficulty."