XIII: A yak in the dawn

Imladris, 3018 TA, October 24

The room was very quiet, and the sun was slowly rising. The morning sunrays were trying to bust into the large chamber, but the thick curtains blocked them. Legolas was lying on the large bed, never moving or making a sound. He was sleeping deeply, a rare act for an elf. He lay on his torso, hair unbraid, and loose all over, covering the pillows. His attire, from his tunic, leggies, and boots, spread all around the chamber. The soft white silk sheets cover from his button and below. His fresh injury against his shoulder was now healing, as it was cleaned and bandaged up. Lord Elrond healed him from the orc poison and the healers treated the wound after the twins brought him back to Imladris.

The human had followed them into the healing chambers but had not gone inside. Later, when Legolas was no longer in danger, Elrond talked with the human, advising her to rest. They'd converse tomorrow; there was a much to talk about now that Gandalf was back in Rivendell. The Lord of Imladris and he had previously discussed the looming danger, the hobbit, and even the human who had come from a foreign realm. They both decided that it was time to convene the council concerning the approaching darkness, but first, they would speak with Xena.

Her body kept asking her to rest, to find somewhere warm and cosy, to simply close her eyes and sleep. The chamber that was offered to her was still waiting for her, and even if she tried to escape nothing seemed to change. Nothing except the strange darkness that was rising, and although Xena was only human, she could feel the changes around Imladris.

At dawn, after spending most of the night inside the bed chamber and debating if it was wise of her to remain in the elvish town or it would be in her best interest to walk away. She decided to remain. No threat kept her there, what made her stay was the foolish act of the blond elf who with no thought, would take an arrow that was meant for her. Elves were strange creatures. Until now she had spotted many differences and similarities with the humans. But there was something great and pure she could not identify in any human. There were times she could trust them, and there were times she believed they were so out of place, that made them unreal to her eyes. So unreal she could not trust them.

Throughout these times, she had remained inquisitive in the elves. She had picked out a few things about them, but they continued to astonish her. And the one from the woodland realm appeared so proud and self-centred in her eyes that she wondered why he would help her? Why would he pursue her? If Gabriel was there, she'd encourage her to thank him and maybe trust him. But Xena wasn't Gabriel; she had a harder approach to life.

Like that, when dawn rose she ended up walking over to his chamber and knocking on the door. Patience was never part of her personality, especially in times like these. No one responded and she simply pushed the door open against the tide of objects that littered the floor on the other side. She closed the door behind her and picked her way across the room. Books were mixed up with clothes and other objects. The room was dark with the curtains blocking the sunrays and the male figure was still sleeping on the large bed. Xena skipped next to the windows and pulled the curtains letting the sunrays brighten the room. She opened the window to let fresh air inside the room, which was covered with the smell of unique smell of spring rain, wet leaves, Apple Cinnamon and Black Raspberry.

She crossed her arms and leaned against the window observing the elfish male who was still resting against the bed. The human had met in her life enough humans and Gods to know what pure beauty was. The scene of the sleeping male was a view of sore eyes. Even in his injured and messy state, Legolas was handsome to no compare. She could at least acknowledge that. And it even made the warrior blush a little, when her eyes paused and stared at his half-naked back.

Legolas was startled awake by the unexpected light. In his half-asleep mindset, he realized someone was inside his room. In reality, no elf-maiden or any other elf would ever access his chamber without his consent. Elves seldom made such errors, and when they did, they apologized and exited the room. Especially when it came to accessing the prince of Mirkwood's bed-chamber. But not this human lady. She had already opened the curtains and windows, and she was still standing there. Something was wrong... utterly wrong. He sat up, attempting to hide his bottom half. The worst part was yet to come when he saw her staring at him.