XXXIX: Now, we rest!

Caras Galadhon, 3019 TA, January 15

The sun had set behind the mountains, and the shadows in the woods were becoming longer. The pathways now wound through dense undergrowth where night had already settled. As they proceeded, night fell under the trees, and the Elves unveiled their silver lanterns. They could see no one on the trails and could not hear any footsteps, but there were several voices in the air above. Far out on the hill, sounds of singing could be heard descending from above like light rain on leaves.

There was one more dreamy natural hot spring that had a rhythmic pulse to it unmatched by any other part of nature. It forged its own sounds and kindles its own symphony. The night sky was reflecting against the silver perfection of the water. The slurpy slapping of the late was muted, a metronomic murmur. The waves that were created as she dove inside the spring were merely snoozing, sluggish and slumbering in their liquid robes.

The water moved around her limbs in swirls, creating buoyancy and a sense of freedom. However, she most appreciated the soap that was offered to her. Earlier, they were offered, food, soap, clean clothes and a place to rest. Haldir informed them that along the western paths were the routes of the trees were stronger and wilder, the elves created warm springs to bath and relax.

Xena had stripped earlier from her dusty, and bloody armour, which was already taken away by the maiden to be cleaned and would be returned by the morning. She received all those information, as the maiden who ended up gathering her clothing almost lost her life. Now she sank into a comforting warm spring, trying to scrub her body and hair. The clean towels and a new glittering long silver-blue robe were laying next to the routes of the trees. She was too weary to even complain about the robe.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, the forest even at night was revealing its golden colours, that even impressed the annoying elf. She was not anxious about bathing out in the wild, in her previous life she was doing that a lot. At least now the water was warm and she could not see anyone around. The company was led by Haldir amongst the root of enormous and ancient mallorn trees. Most had already bathed and changed into the clean clothes that were offered to them. Now they were laying between the roots of the tree listening at the lament for Gandalf.

She left her weapons, the Chakram and her broken blade with Aragorn. Truth be told, she was worried about her broken blade. But Aragorn informed her that she would be able to repair it in Lothlórien or find a sword to replace it. The ranger promised her that he would talk to Haldir and tomorrow she would be able to decide what to do with the broken blade.

Looking up, she could see the dark sky and the golden leaves. The entire forest was illuminated with a soft glow. Suddenly, she noticed a tall figure of an elf walking toward her. The human believed that he would see her and find another spring to take his bath. But even when his eyes seemed to stare at her face he continued walking. He came to hold next to her belongings and bent forward placing his own towel and a silver robe.

It took her a few long seconds to register the elf's identity. Fortunately, it was Legolas. Legolas, terribly dusty yet still with great hair. He was not wearing his boots; he had presumably left them behind at the company's overnight camp. She had left her own footwear there since Lothlórien's ground was covered in golden leaves that made walking barefoot comfortable. The irritating elf had just begun stripping down to his soiled tunic and then to his trousers until he was left with only a few layers of clothes to conceal his private region.

If it was only days ago when both ran naked against each other and they ended up fighting about the matter. Now, both did not react at all, as it was something they did on regular bases. So she found herself staring at the elf that dove into the hot spring in a long smooth motion. He swam closer but allowed some safe distance between them.