XLI: The Mirror of Galadriel

Caras Galadhon, 3019 TA, January 20

That night, the Company slept on the ground. The Elves constructed a tent for them amid the trees near the fountain and put down lovely couches; then they left them, murmuring words of peace in their beautiful elvish accents. Each of them, it appeared, had fared similarly: each had been presented a choice between darkness filled with terror and something he desired: it lay before his thoughts and all he needed to do to get it was to turn away from the path and leave the Quest and the struggle against Sauron to others.

However, no one succumbed to despair or dread and decided to abandon their journey. They pledged to assist Frodo in his quest to reach Mordor and destroy the ring, and they followed through on that commitment. They slept out after washing up, double-checking their clothing, and eating. When they awoke, the sun shone brightly on the lawn in front of the pavilion, and the fountain rose and fell glistening in the sun.

The days that followed in Lothlórien, as best as they could tell or recall. Throughout their stay there, the sun shined brightly, except for the occasional mild shower that fell and quickly evaporated, leaving everything fresh and clean. The air was chilly and gentle as if it were early spring, yet they had the profound and contemplative silence of winter about them. They seemed to do nothing more than eat, drink, relax, and wander among the trees; and that was plenty.

They had not seen the Lord and Lady again, and they had little speech with the Elven-folk; for few of these knew or would use the Westron tongue. Haldir remained around and was a great aid. He had provided with maps and plans Aragorn, to aid him to decide which road it would best to follow. The ranger, Legolas, Boromir and Gimli debated many nights and they had not yet decided what route they would follow.

Now, when the friends sat or strolled together, they chatted about Gandalf, and all they had heard and seen about him became obvious. As they recovered from physical discomfort and exhaustion, their sadness over their loss became more acute. It took those few days to slowly get used to the Golden Forest and its folk. Now the company was mostly themselves again, while still missing Gandalf and wishing for his return.

As promised, Xena tracked down Hadir the next morning and inquired about her sword. He escorted her to one of their blacksmiths, Aegnor, whose name meant "sharp flame." He was a Silvan Elf from Lothlórien and Haldir's most trusted blacksmith. The elf grabbed Xena's shattered sword and assured her that he would attempt to restore it. Although he was unfamiliar with the metal, he promised that he would attempt to restore her sword by the end of the month. However, there was a slim risk that he might be unable to repair it.

Galadriel, tall and white and fair walked beneath the trees. She spoke no word but beckoned to Prince of the Woodland Realm. Turning aside, she led him toward the southern slopes of the hill of Caras Galadhon, and passing through a high green hedge they came into an enclosed garden. Nearby was the silver basin of water known as 'The Mirror of Galadriel', where the Lady of Lórien and Prince of the Woodland Realm reached a hold and started to converse.

"Legolas Greenleaf, long under tree In joy thou hast lived. Beware of the Sea!" Galadriel said to Legolas "If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore, Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more." She stood before an ornate stand with a shallow silver basin upon it and spoke those gentle words to him.

"The Sea, Lady Galadriel?" the elf glanced around as he was looking for answers.

The air was very still, and the dell was dark, and the Elf-lady beside him was tall and pale. "Legolas, what shall we look for? What shall we see?" Galadriel murmured with water from the stream Galadriel filled the basin to the brim and breathed on it, and when the water was still again she spoke. "Here is the Mirror of Galadriel, it can show you many things, but in the end Legolas you are the one to decide. If the Sea will claim you or our kin!"

Legolas did not answer. He lifted his gaze and looked at the Lady of Lothlórien confused. He always loved the trees and the forest. It was his home. How could he ever fall in love with the Sea? And how could the Sea or their kin claim him? Doubtful the Elf stepped back, bowing at the lady.

The evening star had risen and was shining with a white fire above the western woods. Down a long flight of steps, the Lady went into a deep green hollow, through which ran murmuring the silver stream that issued from the fountain on the hill. Now she had asked Xena of Amphipolis to meet with her at the bottom, upon a low pedestal carved like a branching tree, stood a basin of silver, wide and shallow, and beside it stood a silver ewer.

"You aren't lost. Though you keep wondering," the lady of light said "I have brought you here so that you may look in it if you will! Here is the Mirror of Galadriel!"

Xena gave a small gasp watching the mirror turning grey and then clear. Indeed inside the basin, there was a mirror. "That is?" Xena asked gazing at it with open eyes.

"Yes, child. You seek to see, things that were, and things that are, and things that yet maybe..." Galadriel said.

"I don't want to know my past. I already know it," Xena answered in a strong tone "I'll make my own future. I don't wish to look into the mirror of yours."

"Xena, beware the Mirror knows things unbidden, of the darkness that haunts you in this world and of the light that you hail! Do you not wish to know child, from where you hail?"

Xena cursed under her breath because this time she could not simply throw her head and break the shiny's lady head. There was a small pause as if Galadriel had read her mind, and paused for a long moment and blinked in disbelief. Xena cleared her thoughts and face her.

"No, I am not interested in learning anything. I am aware of my origins; I do not need a mirror to reveal my history!" Xena assuaged her fears.

"And where are you from, child? What brought you back to Arda? Who are your kin?" Galadriel whispered in hushed tones, her eyes resting on Xena's befuddled one. "Are you from Greece? Are you from Amphipolis? If that is the case, then why are you here?"

"Now listen to me, Pretty Lady!" Xena finally snapped "If you have something to tell me, let me know. If you have too much free time to play with me games, you will find my fist down your throat."

Then there was a pause, and after it, the Galadriel cracked a smile at her threats. "I have only one piece of advice to give you, child! You hail from Adra, and that is the reason that you returned. The rest you will find out in time, you are not ready yet to carry the secrets and the truths of this world."

Xena did not answer, she only cast a glance towards Galadriel and left. It was the first time that she did not wish to listen to more of that story. Because along the way, from the time she met Elrond until today, there was a small voice pointing out that she could hail from Middle Earth. After all details of her birth were unknown. Her mother was questioned when she had her, who her father was. But she knew she could not accept such truths. At least not at the time. Because this forsaken world was still like a nightmare to her, even with glittering elves in it.

((Upcoming Chapter Forty-Two))

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Feel free to Review - Follow - Favorite!