LXIV: Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Pelennor Fields, 3019 TA, March 15

The fleet of the black ships was now heading towards Minas Tirith. Xena sat cross-legged and closed her eyes. She had no recollection of merging into the ship, but she was faintly aware that she had somehow ended up inside. They were able to conquer the ships and their crew after the army of the dead pursued them. Only the party of four and the army of the dead remained inside the ships. She was aware of their presence, as well as their concerns and hopes. They feared that even if they were dead, they would be haunted for the rest of their lives. It reminded her of her own fatal fault, her inability to control her bloodlust.

Moving away from her toxic background was and continues to be her chief challenge. 'Does her want for blood outweigh her desire to serve others?' Even if she spent her entire life atoning for her wrongdoings and dying to seek redemption, the question remains. But, if she was living again, what was the point of dying to redeem herself? Maybe, just maybe, she was given one more life to make up for all the lives she took. When she considered how many lives she had cost, one life could never be enough.

The fate of time would be decided before the gates of Minas Tirith, and if the tide was not stemmed there, tens of thousands of Orcs would inexorably advance against the city walls. The massive gate opened to expose Faramir's injured horse. The horse was trailing behind Denethor's son. Both were pierced by Orc arrows. His armor protruded two arrows. One arrow entered the region between his right armpit and chest. And the following was below his right chest on his right side. Faramir was transported to the citadel's courtyard on a litter.

Gothmog was the lieutenant of Minas Morgul's Witch-King. He was growling as he passed the orc army. As his troop prepared to invade Minas Tirith, they were outside the city's gate as they approached the city. Gothmog sniffed disdainfully. The approaching storm would be of a scale that would never be forgotten. As Gothmog believed that it was time for the orcs to rise and a new era to begin, he believed it was time for the orcs to ascend.

Faramir was positioned close to his father. Denethor lingered in his mourning over the wounding of his second son. As he pronounced his son dead, the Ruling Steward of Gondor said, "My line is ended!"

"Get ready for fight!" he yelled. He mounted his horse to rally the men. "Draw them in! The gallows! Protect the wall! Come back to your posts!" The soldiers complied and returned to their respective positions. Gandalf surveyed the opposing force. It was an army whose sole aim was to destroy the human race. How could so much evil and cruelty be ignored? How could the men of Gondor endure such a battle?

Using tree butches, they hurl big rocks at the orc army. Some of the orcs were squished by the stonework. The orcs surrounding Gothmog shuffled in terror. The major gates are attacked by bombardment. The Pelennor Fields were trembling with the vibrations of drums and footsteps. Several unsuccessful attempts were made by the trolls to breach the city gates by assaulting the city's besieging towers. Gondorians showered them with arrows. The front of the Gate was defended by Gondor's soldiers, under the wizard's leadership.

Conflict resumed in Minas Tirith. Orcs chanted as they pulled and pushed a massive battering ram towards the city gates. A metallic wolf whose mouth was ablaze with fire and flames. Grond was made for the sole purpose of destroying the Gates of Minas Tirith. They advanced it to the city's outer gates. The trolls drew and dragged toward the ram, then allowed it to crash into the gates. Orcs and archers exchanged volleys above the gate. Gandalf ascended Shadowfax and roused the warriors at the gates.

Grond continued to pound the city gates like a furious demon. Gandalf and a group of troops were waiting. Moments later, Grond smashed through the gate's top. The breaching of the Gate caused waves of fear. The soldiers muttered despondently. Gandalf advised them to maintain their position. The gate shattered and fell to pieces. Trolls armed with heavy weapons jog through the gates. The Orcs were defeated, but numerous troops were also killed. The Gondorians fell back.