LII: Théoden King

Edoras, 3019 TA, March 2

They continued to ride through sunset, darkness, and the onset of night. Hours passed as they continued to ride. There was cold in the air. The darkness in the East gradually transformed into a chilly grey. Red rays of light sprang over the dark walls of the Emyn Muil to their left, far distant. The dawn was clear and brilliant, and a breeze rushed through the bent grasses across their path.

The morning was bright and clear as the travellers approached the creek, and birds were chirping. It quickly descended into the plain and, beyond the foothills, curved sharply across their route. At the base of the fortified hill, the path passed under the shade of several towering and verdant mounds. On their western sides, the grass looked as white as if it had been dusted with snow, and tiny flowers sprang like innumerable stars among the grass.

Gandalf pointed ahead. "Look!" he cried, and they lifted their tired eyes. "Speak Legolas! Tell us what you see there before us!" the wizard asked.

Legolas looked ahead, his elfish eyes searched for any detail, then he told them "A dike and mighty wall and thorny fence encircle it. Within there rise the roofs of houses. And it seems to my eyes that it is thatched with gold. Their men in bright mail stand; but all else within the courts are yet asleep."

"Edoras those courts are called. And Meduseld is that golden hall. There dwells the Théoden son of Thengel, King of the Mark of Rohan." Gandalf the white said "We are coming with the rising of the day. Now the road lies plain to see before us. Soon we will meet with King Théoden."

The travellers traversed the tranquil mounds. Following the twisting path up the verdant hills' shoulders. As they approached the hall, they saw a lady strolling and standing inside it. Xena gazed at the woman. She resembled a flower in that she was fair, bright, and lovely. A half-torn banner fluttered down and landed beside Aragorn. As they neared the hall, the locals regarded them with curious stares. They eventually arrived at the sidewalls and gates of Edoras. They were accosted by guards as they ascended the steps to the hall.

Before seeing the King in Edoras, Legolas and the others are required to disarm. Gandalf, however, was able to sneak his staff through. The mind of Théoden was taken by Grima Wormtongue, a servant of Saruman, and the fallen wizard controls the monarch. Théoden and Wormtongue unleashed their thugs on the party, and Legolas, Xena, Gimli, and Aragorn battled them off as Gandalf approaches the king and freed him from the enchantment with his staff, showing himself to Saruman as the new white wizard.

Háma, the Doorward of the Meduseld walked towards the company asking them "I cannot allow you before Théoden king so armed, Gandalf Grayhame. By order of Gríma Wormtongue."

"Wormtongue?" said Gandalf, looking sharply at the guard.

Legolas first surrendered his silver-hafted blades, his quiver and his bow. "Do not permit any other to lay hand on it," he warned Háma, and the man nodded.

Aragorn stood a while hesitating. "It is not my will to put aside my sword. Though, I would do as the master of the house bade me." the Ranger said. Slowly Aragorn unbuckled his belt and he set his sword upright against the wall. "Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it."

"Well, if the lad left his sword, my axe needs to stay behind to keep it company!" Gimli said and laid his axe on the floor and waited for the human to follow his action. Xena sighed and drew her sword and chakram placing them next to Gimli's weapons.

"Your staff," said Captain of the King's Guard to Gandalf.

"Eh? Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?" The wizard innocently asked.