XCIV: The battle of Gundabad

Gundabad, 3019 TA, May 19th

A heavy silence settled over them as they were walking towards the main Tents outside Mount Gundabad. The silence was thicker than the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. For weeks now, Thranduil, Bard II, Glóin and their troops were pursuing Uagz and his forces. Today they were once more debating what their next move should be. Tauriel had settled their maps and notes trying to plan their last part of the mission: Reaching Gundabad and slain Uagz.

Thranduil ignored the unsettled eyes and glanced unceremoniously around. Most of the troops were already worn out or scared, they believed it would be one mission, but it had become a continuous attack on Uagz, who had managed to keep the assault going without having to show himself. And they were not sure if he would ever reveal himself and ride out to meet them.

"The darkness is deepening," Glóin spoke first, sitting effortlessly on a seat made of stone. "The enemy knows we are here and ignore us."

"How near do you think they know we are?" Bard II scoffed as he was going through the maps. "Here we are fighting his troops but he never follows."

"We do not know where and when he will appear," Thranduil answered. "Only if his spies notify him that we are weakened and he desires to be there when the ultimate blow is delivered."

All the officers were already seated around the table inside the main tent used as now as the location they held all their meetings. Everyone was whispering to each other wondering if it was wise to start a direct fight with the orcs of Gundabad. Thranduil knew exactly what he was facing, he was Uagz prey for centuries and even longer, now it was the first time he actually decided to attack him first on his land. He could not let him win once more.

"They should find it more difficult now," Bard II said, gazing at leaders sitting around him, "If keep pushing Uagz will eventually have to take part in the battle."

"So why do not we attack the enemy on two fronts simultaneously," Glóin suggested, "Our troops are fighting close to the Gates. We can turn west and secure you the passage."

"About that," Tauriel interfered, "That could delay his forces to reach the main battle and aid our mission."

"It's only a matter of time for the enemy to bring our defences down," Thranduil said as he placed a few more troops on the map, troops that were not supposed to be there, "The enemy is regrouping as we speak; but we have not revealed all our forces.!"

"Why aren't we trying to lead our troops inside Gundabad," another dwarf asked "Why losing so many of our men by waiting for him to come out!"

A few seconds of stillness around the table. Bard II regarded the map intently as though it might provide all the answers. In a regular assault, it would be prudent to immediately attempt to breach the fort in search of Uagz. However, they were not confronting a random troop of orcs; Uagz's soldiers were well-trained, as shown by the fact that they continued to battle him.

"We would need time and safe passage across his land," said Glóin, "We and the army can give you that. Thranduil you could ride and place and attack next inside his fort."

"How?" Bard II was puzzled. "If we have to fight to reach the passage, the enemy will know."

"We could draw all our troops in the front and forget about the secondary attack," Tauriel suggested "Have him focus on the front battle; until the Elvenking could ride directly for Uagz."

"Building a trap inside their land!" Bard II understood "It could be possible."

"No," Thranduil objected with a harsher tone than usual "If we invaded the Uagz fort, we would never be able to exit that location. The only reason he is hiding inside is that it's full of traps. We will adhere to the original strategy, causing him to feel we are losing, and there is a chance he will see us lose."