LXXII: The next days

Minas Tirith, 3019 TA, March 30

Over the city of Gondor and beyond, a place of great promise stood. Each morning, pleasant weather and bright sun had appeared to be accompanied by ominous news. The Warden of the Houses of Healing refused to allow Éowyn to freely roam, despite the fact that Éowyn felt sufficiently rested. She wanted to be a member of the west's company and no longer be confined to the Houses of Healing.

"Sir! I am in great unrest, and I cannot lie longer in sloth." Éowyn stated as seated on her recovery bed. She continued to wear her long white robe, and her health had much improved.

"Lady," the Warden of the Houses of Healing answered, "you are not yet healed, and I was commanded to tend you with special care."

"I am healed... My body at least, save my left arm only, and that is at ease. But I shall sicken anew!" She answered.

"I cannot allow it, my Lady. You have to wait until you are fully healed." said the Warden.

The Warden examined Éowyn. She rose from her bed and strolled to the window, fixing her eyes on the outside. She stood tall, her eyes sparkling in her white face, her palm clutched as she observed the East. He heaved a sigh and shook his head.

"Is there no deed to do? Who commands in this City?" The lady of Rohan asked him with a clear voice.

"I do not rightly know, such things are not my care!" the Warden responded honestly. "Lord Faramir should be the Steward of the City, my Lady!"

"Where can I find him?" Éowyn commended with bitterness.

"In this house, lady. He was sorely hurt but is now set again on the way to health. As you are my Lady, Lord Faramir needed to rest and heal!" he explained gazing at her.

"Will you not bring me to him?" she asked kindly. The Warden of the Houses of Healing ended up agreeing to bring her to Faramir.

Faramir was wandering across the garden of the Houses of Healing, and the sunlight warmed him, and he felt life run new in his veins. The Warden spoke his name, and he turned and saw the Lady Éowyn. He stepped closer as he noticed that the lady was hurt.

"My lord, Lady Éowyn wishes to speak to the Steward of the City!" said the Warden.

"Do not misunderstand lord." suddenly the Lady of Rohan appeared and started speaking to him "It is not lack of care that grieves me. No houses could be fairer, for those who desire to be healed. But I cannot lie in sloth, idle, caged. I looked dead in battle. But I didn't die, and the battle still goes on."

"What would you have me do, my lady?" asked Faramir as the Warden bowed and retreated leaving him alone with Éowyn. "I am also a prisoner of the healers." He looked at her and being a man whom pity deeply stirred, it seemed to him that her loveliness amid her grief would pierce his heart. "What do you wish for me to do, fair Lady!" he said again. "If it lies in my power, I will do it."

"I would have you command this Warden, and bid him let me go," she said loudly and proudly, yet her heart faltered, and for the first time, she doubted herself.

"I myself am in the Warden's keeping. Nor have I yet taken up my authority in the City. But had I done so, I should still listen to his counsel, and should not cross his will in matters of his craft, unless in some great need." Faramir responded with a soft pitch.

"But I do not desire to heal! I wish to ride to war like my brother!" she uttered with more pride than before.

"It is too late, lady, to follow the Captains, even if you had the strength. But death in battle may come to us all yet, willing or unwilling. You will be better prepared to face it in your own manner, if while there is still time you do as the Healer commanded. You and I, must endure with patience the hours of waiting." said Faramir.