LI: Fangorn Forest

Fangorn Forest, 3019 TA, March 1

They raced. It was a gloomy, rainy day. There were low grey clouds blanketing the sky above, and a cloud of mist hid the sun. The forested hills of Fangorn became bigger and greater as the sun moved westward. Single orcs with arrows embedded in their backs or throats were the only ones they came across, with no trace to the right or left.

It was nearing sunset when they finally reached the tops of the forest's trees and spotted the large fire burning in an open glade surrounded by the first trees. Helms and armour, broken shields, arrows and darts, shattered swords, and other war gear lay around. Goblin skulls were placed on spikes with white insignia still visible on their helms.

The river rushed out of the bushes and into a mound not too far away from the riverbank. The newly cut turves and fifteen spears had been set around it as it was just lifted from the ground. There was no light left to look at, and dusk came rapidly, dreary and cloudy. By the time the sun went down, they had discovered no trace of Merry and Pippin.

After finding a track, Aragorn continued his search. In her stillness, Xena fixed her eyes on the woodland in front of her. The way it spoke to her. She shook her head in disbelief. Because the other three were just behind her, she couldn't see them. Gore and the decaying smell of orc corpses and blood only served to heighten the sense of fear that they felt as they stood in the middle of it.

"We can do no more," said Gimli sadly. "We have been set many riddles, but this is the hardest to unravel. It will be hard news for Frodo, and hard too for the old hobbit who waits in Rivendell. Elrond was against their coming."

"But Gandalf was not," said Legolas, who trusted Mithrandir, more than anyone in Middle Earth. He had been a great aid to Legolas and to so many, the elf always accepted his judgment.

"Gandalf chose to come himself, and he was the first to be lost," answered Gimli. "His foresight failed him."

"The counsel of Gandalf was not founded on foreknowledge of safety, for himself or for others," said Aragorn. "There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

"Most ends are dark," Xena agreed with the Ranger "That doesn't mean we stop following our mission and forget our promises."

"A hobbit lay there.." Aragorn said moments later as he started following the trail. "They crawled." he followed the tracks, and Gimli and Legolas followed him. "Their hands were bound, their bands were cut. The tracks lead away from the battle! Into Fangorn Forest."

All three paused close watching in the Fangorn Forest. Xena skipped next to them. All four seemed to know the stories about the forest.

"Fangorn! What madness drove them in there?" Gimli said.

All four walked closer, with the horses following. Suddenly, the horses got scared of the Forest. They had dragged their pickets and disappeared. "The horses! The horses!" Said Legolas. He neither could believe their ill-fortune.

"They are gone! We cannot find them or catch them; they will return of their own will." Aragorn said at last as he gazed at the others and then at the sky. It was getting late. "We will go on our feet, at dawn. It's getting dark. We will camp for a few hours here."

"We will be walking again!" Gimli complained.

"Only this morning you were unwilling to sit on a horse of Rohan," smirked Legolas.

"It seems unlikely that I shall have the chance," said Gimli.

"They'll be back don't worry." the elf ensured him.