XLIV: The Day After

Caras Galadhon, 3019 TA, January 21

The morning seemed dim in the East. As the light increased, it was refracted by the golden leaves of the mallorn. Xena opened her eyes quickly and oddly. The morning was meant to be solemn and sombre, but her eyes were wide open and her limbs were flexing in astonishment. She had dreamt of a companion, a ghost from a previous existence that made her sleep more restful than it should have been. She was doing OK now. The same thoughts tormented her mind, and she had a severe headache from drinking so much of that forsaken Mirkwood wine. But she was in good shape.

She placed her palm on the surface only to discover that it was unstable. It was breathing. She raised her eyes, startled, only to see the annoying elf. The silence of the forest overwhelmed them a place of root and branch was the dominion of the eternal soul. Her confusion came as a fog to a once clear and sunny day, and just as in those times awaiting for clarity to return.

Her eyes absorbed each ray of light, and she knew without a doubt that she had slept too long. She was unclothed under the long robe used as a blanket to cover her and the noisy elf. It took her a moment to recollect the events of last night. Her facial expressions shifted as her recollections surfaced. She turned to her right and saw Legolas soundly asleep. Her eyes were fixed on him. He seemed so calm and peaceful. He was no longer the smug and arrogant elf he normally was.

"For how long do you intend to stare?" Legolas scoffed as he opened his eyes suddenly and gazed at her. His eyes lightened up and his lips formed a smile. His sweet-playful demeanour was a three-dimensional wonderland for the eyes who were willing to absorb the light.

Before she opened her eyes she felt that she was in the right place, as if such comfort was only meant for others. She felt losing herself in the calmness, and when she opened her eyes she lost her words in the depths of his eyes. For a second she felt at home. Tempted but paralyzed. But that's what it only was for a short moment.

"Give it a rest," she said and leapt on her feet while tugging the long robe with her and in one long awkward move she wrapped it around her living the elf almost nude and lying down on the ground. "And stop staring at me before I take your eyes out." she threatened him darkly.

Legolas continued to observe her as she walked away from him while muttering curses beneath her breath. Xena was unaware that Legolas had awakened a few hours earlier in a worse condition than she had. He recalled the events of yesterday night. His mind was flooded with facts about last night. When an individual's processing capacity for fear was surpassed, panic episodes might ensue.

He had already consumed his father's wine, and he knew he could only tolerate a limited bit of Mirkwood Wine. How much alcohol did he ingest last night for him to end up kissing the human? He gave the person a kiss. He did kiss the human. The same phrase was repeated many times until he acknowledged that he had kissed her. He ended up turning off his intellect and living like an idiot because he felt like a fool.

"Amarth faeg!" [Evil fate!] he mumbled as he finally rose up and gathered his own belongings. He wore his robe as fast as he could and run after her "Daro!" [Stop!] he shouted earning her attention.

"What?" Xena hissed as the elf showed up behind her and grabbed her arm gently turning her around to face him.

"You cannot speak of this," the elf whispered leaning close to her afraid that someone would hear or see them. She was becoming more dubious of the elf's apparent amount of concern.

"The last thing I would do would be to run around and gossip about your pervertness," Xena offered but kept observing the elf and noticing that he seemed troubled. His coolness from before was long gone, and she never recalled to have seen Legolas worried about a silly kiss.

"My kin likes gossiping," Legolas stated, being mindful of his tone of speech. "And the Eldar see such behaviours differently."

"Been there, know that since Rivendell! You are the worse gossipers ever!" she smirked as she pointed out a flaw that the perfect elves had. "But I do not keep familiarities with elves to gossip about it." She heard the elf finally taking a deep breath that he was holding for a long time. "But I can't promise about Gimli and the hobbits."

Only the thought of the dwarf mocking him made the elf jump. "No, I forbid it!" his tone was now strong and filled with confidence as the son of the Elvenking that he was.

Xena tilted her head in amazement, this word was quite astonishing, she smirked and freed her arm from his grasp "You are not in any position to give me orders Elf. As you know you would not want me to make me mad, would you?" she said and studied him from head to toe observing how serious he gazed at her "Why does this bother you? It was a mistake. We were drunk and just kissed. I mean it would be better if we could avoid it, but now it happened. It's done!"

Legolas seemed detached as if her views and his were now polar opposites. He turned away from her and began to walk away, shaking his head "Please keep it between us."

It took a second or two for the new information to skink in, she recalled elves and their beliefs about love and that elves had only one mate forever. Her lips stretched a wider into a gaping grin and her eyebrows arched "Don't tell me it was your first kiss," she figured out "Oh, my! A five hundred year elf who never kissed before?"

Legolas sprang back at her words. He turned overwhelmed from last night's kiss and today's encounters. Before he reached her Xena's lips escaped the phrase "Don't tell me you are a virgin?" But she was muffed as he had surrounded her, his right arm around her and his hand pressed against her mouth.

"Do not think I won't kill you, human. I could kiss you for less!" Legolas spat offended "Do not take me for a fool, because I have allowed you to insult me the past weeks. Keep your opinion for yourself."

The next second that followed both of them were again in the same situation as they were on day one. Xena would not take any orders from an annoying and spoiled brat. And especially for a virgin one. She threw her head back as strong as she could, and this time once more the back of her head hit against Legolas' nose. Legolas had again left with a bleeding nose and the human walked free.

It was only after a long moment when both had walked away angry and in frustration that they acknowledged what the poor elf had spat. Do not think I won't kill you, human. I could kiss you for less! Legolas dropped his head recalling how angry he was that he had threatened her by kissing her again. He could hear the dwarf congratulating him 'Well, done laddy!'

"Kiss me for less!" Xena repeated and ended up laughing while returning back to where the rest of the fellowship was. The poor elf probably had never kissed a girl and he ended up losing his words. And after all, she was a great kisser. Maybe she was too harsh with him and should not have broken his nose this time. But then again, the broken nose looked better on his flawless face.

((Upcoming Chapter Forty-Five)

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Feel free to Review - Follow - Favorite!