LIII: Grief Upon

Edoras, 3019 TA, March 1

Death was charged with illuminating the route to the realm where the departed soul would be going for its next journey. For a human soul, there were many possible routes. All epochs were nothing but a mammoth riddle to the one living, each significant but not in the order we see them. Everything ultimately perishes; nothing lasts forever. Although most people overlook and disregard this fact, it has always haunted us.

In the anguish of death lies the evidence of love and the ties that exist beyond our reality, beyond the spacetime, matter, and energy that constitute our universe. And these ties were what made the anguish longer and more profound, inexhaustible suffering that resides inside the spirit. But there is no greater suffering and sorrow than that of a parent who must bury a kid. A tragedy for the young and a rite of passage for the elderly elicit distinct forms of grief.

"No parent should be forced to bury their kid." This little sentence said by Théoden contains all the facts and anguish of parents who have lost a child. It was wrong to lose your kid or to burn your own child.

"If your child is in danger, it is the most terrifying emotion in the world," Xena stated to Théoden as they returned from the burial of his son Théodred, leading the others. "Then a day comes when you lose your child, and only then do you realise that there are worse terrors in the world. And one of them is losing a child."

"Pain and terror are incomparable, my Lady," the king agreed, throwing a gaze at the human who had spoken as if she had lost her own child. The king kept heading toward the Golden Halls, where he was expected to feed his visitors and deal with the new dangers beyond his boundaries, without more engagement with them.

Xena felt lost in her own recollections, lagging behind. She believed she has a strong heart after navigating the waves of sadness. She understood that the anguish was evidence of the enduring love that had survived the loss. Her resilient heart continued to grieve for her own child. It was a loss, not a memory. However, she was unwilling to discuss it with anybody. That was all her own suffering.

She immediately heard a musical voice inquire, "What was his name?" as his owner materialised next to her. He seems to have heard her converse with Théoden and, upon finding her alone, chose to speak with her. Despite his open mind and understanding, Legolas was unable to comprehend how she might have previously borne children and buried them. It was a notion he had forgotten, and he just rediscovered it today when seeing her emotions.

Xena recoiled when she heard the inquiry, which seemed out of place and time. But she responded. "Solan. He was named Solan. He was 15 years old."

Legolas glanced at her for a while, he was about to explain that he was too young for such a destiny, but she already knew that. If he were chatting with someone else, the elf would not dwell on the matter for as long as he did with her. In his estimation, she was courageous, and he ventured to inquire, "How did he die?"

"Killed by my dearest friend's daughter," Xena said ominously and unfiltered. "A daughter with monstrous qualities. She trusted the monster because mothers are like that. However, she deceived her and lied to me, resulting in the loss of our children. Are you done with the questions elf? Are you finished asking the questions?"

"Forgive me, I did not know," Legolas said as truthfully as he could; this time, his expression revealed his anxiety and sorrow; he did not hide his feelings.

"There is nothing to forgive, you could have known any of that had occurred, and you are one of the fortunate individuals who does not recall your mother's death. Because the memories could have slowly destroyed you."