LXII: Gondor calls for aid! And Rohan will answer!

Edoras, 3019 TA, March 9

The elf drew his cloak tightly about him and donned his hood as he sat on the high wall outside the halls of Meduseld, gazing at the aperture in front of him. The night had gone without a word from Gondor, and he awaited Aragorn's arrival. It was early, and the majority of people seemed to be sleeping. The modest breeze became a powerful breeze as the wind reverberated through the wall.

Suddenly, he saw the woman and her horse leaving the stables and attempting to spend time with Argo. Legolas continues to observe the horse and person attempting to connect. He was not expecting to see her so early, but he sat and observed them nevertheless. As he saw Éadwine coming, his disposition shifted. Legolas had heard and was aware of Éadwine's view on women, but he had never discussed it. He jumped down the wall and raced towards them without hesitation.

As he returned to the location where he had previously sat, he saw the ranger standing and observing him. Aragorn had seen Legolas' early interaction with the human and was now awaiting the return of the elf. He stood there with his arms crossed over his chest and nodded his head to indicate his thanks for the concern, but he needed to have a lengthy conversation with his idiotic friend.

He anxiously scanned the elf's face for indications of concern, but Legolas once again hid his feelings. Aragorn groaned in worry after seeing Legolas' haunting countenance as he ran to 'save' the human. At first, he believed that Legolas was concerned about a friend and that his response would be the same regardless of who of his friends was in danger. The meaning of what the ranger viewed next may be deduced based on his prior knowledge. And that was just what he had dreaded.

"Enough is enough," Aragorn said as Legolas approached him from the left. "You can no longer hide."

"Aragorn... please," Legolas masked his anxiety, "now is not the moment."

The ranger spotted him and sat on the wall, motioning Legolas to follow him. He lighted and smoked his pipe many times while Legolas sat next to him. "What's wrong, Legolas?" he inquired, exchanging anxious glances with him. "You assured me!?"

Legolas excused himself by saying, "It was nothing but a foolish prank," when he realised that Aragorn had seen them. "I could never be interested in such a relationship with a human."

Aragorn smoked and waited a minute before speaking. "Legolas, I know what I saw, and what I saw terrifies me, not because this union is impossible, but because you continue to deny it. I am really worried about you since you continue to pursue my dear friend without noticing."

"To whom? The person?" Legolas responded by seeming irritated "You are mistaken, Aragorn! You assume that I would develop these sentiments for a human since I accepted and supported your relationship with Arwen. This could never occur!"

Aragorn extended his hand and firmly grasped Legolas' shoulder as he said "You already know that I would support you whatever of your decision. I am only attempting to forewarn you before it is too late. If neither of you are already foolish enough to fall in love, you should avoid doing so. If you have, I cannot alter your destiny, my friend. And I will support you."

Legolas gave him a sincere grin and nodded. He was unable to respond to the ranger because he was too puzzled. He was aware that Xena had gained his interest and friendship. He was able to trust her, and he knew that she had the same opinion of him. But now Aragorn was speaking about something else, something Legolas never believed was possible.

Though their chat was abruptly halted when they realised that Gondor had finally requested assistance. It was time to leave Edoras and go to Minas Tirith by horse. The white city needed assistance. Théoden was informed, that the Riders of Rohan were getting ready and the company. The Rohirrim were about to ride to Dunharrow.