XCII: The Shadowed Greenwood Part I

「The Lord of the Rings

「Into the Past」

「BOOK IV

~ XCII: The Shadowed Greenwood ~

~ Part I ~

___

Woodland Realm, 3019 TA, May 15th

Upon Sauron's defeat, Aragorn was crowned King Elessar, a name given to him by Galadriel and adopted by the people of Gondor because of the Elfstone he wore. Aragorn was planning to marry Arwen shortly afterwards, on Midsummer's Day in the year TA 3019. He became the twenty-sixth King of Arnor, the thirty-fifth King of Gondor, and the first High King of the Reunited Kingdom, though it would be several years before his authority was firmly re-established in Arnor.

Legolas and Gimli stayed and assisted the King a few times after his coronation until the appropriate choices were made. However, Legolas finally had to return to Mirkwood in order to pursue Uagz. Gimli would follow his trusty friend, but Aragorn's duties as the new king prevented him from joining. Xena would be one of their travelling companions, and Legolas seemed to agree with that choice.

"Mirkwood! We will flee to Mirkwood and not the mountains when we should stand next to you. Who will defend the King if not his most trusted friends?" Gimli inquired as he approached Aragorn, ready to protest once again.

"He is only doing what he thinks is best for his kin. The Woodland realm withstands attack after attack; he has to return." King of Arnor responded, watching the Elf securing his last belongings against Arod, the grey horse given to Legolas by Éomer; he rode with it into all old and new adventures.

"He is doing what can bring peace to his mind, going after Uagz!" Xena interrupted when she appeared with Argo, donning her armour and carrying her gear for the journey.

"He will need you with him, both of you, I fear for him," The King instructed two of their loyal friends, despite the fact that he already knew they would comply without his request. Xena nodded and Gimli added.

"He has my support, and you know that, Aragorn! I remember the Elf told me once that he would never return." The dwarf responded while resting against his axe as a small smile appeared on his face, "Yet I am only travelling with him to see the face of the Elvenking when the elf tells him that we became close friends."

Aragorn rose an eyebrow, gazing at Gimli with a smirk. "You wouldn't bring trouble to the Halls of the Elvenking."

"Troubles are upon the Elvenking if he likes it or not," A fresh powerful voice was heard when the Elf in question finally descended the stairs and met his close companions. He was sure of his father's reaction to finding out that Legolas became trusted friends with the son of Glóin, and he did not dare to think what he would say about him and his recent encounters with the human.

"But are your kind to cross the sea? As the rest of the elves?" Gimli questioned in an effort to shift the subject since the topic of Uagz had recently given the elf too much grief. He had heard that the majority of elves had already crossed the sea, and those who had yet to do so intended to do so.

"I do not know. Woodland elves are different. However, with the Elvenking remaining behind, my kin will be stubborn to leave." He acknowledged, "I suppose no one has left Mirkwood."