XCIX: Xena's Trial Part II

Mirkwood, 3019 TA, June 1st

"The fainting of Lady Xena is common!" As all eyes went to her, Nienna said, "She's around seven weeks pregnant! Who is the joyful father?"

Elrond leaned against the wall with his back. His thoughts were now going in every way. He had concerns about his daughter. Concerned about her disappearance as she embarked on one adventure after another. He was concerned about her upcoming trial and conviction. But he never anticipated that his youngest daughter would get pregnant. Who exactly was the father? Xena seems not to be frightened by anybody. How even was it possible? It took Elleth years to get pregnant. It needed for the couple to be entirely committed to one another and for both to want a child.

Elladan and Elrond exchanged shocked looks. They anticipated any response and irresponsible conduct. To them, falling pregnant with Legolas's child was a great burden. Since Lothlórien, Arwen and the twins were aware of their sister's nighttime behaviour. The worse part was, that the father had no recollection of anything, and he could not even know his mate, Xena.

Arwen almost collapsed and was rescued by Aragorn, who had just chosen to join them. When Ellasar returned on a very important mission, he discovered that the trial had been postponed and everyone had been transferred to the healing wards. And he was there when the news was conveyed that Legolas would become a father, although he had no clue.

Gimli was unable to conceal his delight. Two of his closest friends would become parents without their knowledge. Especially poor Legolas, who had forgotten everything. As Xena went outside and stared at them, however, everyone was pulled back to reality. She was informed of the news and reacted angrily to the healer's words, claiming that the Nienna was a fraud and that she could not be pregnant.

"Don't fret! I'm only going for a quick stroll! I shall force myself into that enchanted river to forget everything!" She rolled her eyes at the chaotic occurrences. However, she was stopped by the guards, since she was required to return to the court."No longer can anybody take a bath in these hallways!"

Meanwhile, outside the courtrooms, the Elvenking stood alone, pondering recent events and how they could have transpired so swiftly. However, his son had returned to life and seemed to be fine. And he had to thank Xena for that. Now he was at a dead end and had to ensure that she was not found guilty. said the Elvenking, whose eyes remained blank and he did not turn to face his son.

"I intended to speak with you, Ada [father]!" Legolas responded while skipping with his father.

"It festers and multiplies in the great ignorance of the world. So it has always been; so it will always be. Over time, all vile things emerge. However, I never feared that I would have to reveal your background. Tell me, son, how much do you recollect about your past. And I will tell you everything you have forgotten." Thranduil said.

"I recall the past, my mother's passing, and everything! I recall the period after I lived under your authority, as well as my departure to deliver the message to Lord Elrond. After that, my recollections became rather muddled. But I am aware that I was one of the Fellowship's nine members; I even became friends with Gimli. We battled in the escalating conflict, and I remember returning to pursue Uagz." The Elvenking considered it peculiar that Legolas had taken his mother's death so easily.

What happened to you, Legolas? You had nearly abandoned us?" Thranduil inquired.

"I have no idea! I was imprisoned in the Enchanted River for an extended period of time. I had a dream that my mother advised me not to be frightened. And Gandalf found me. I cannot say If I had been a dead or living father, my mother's remarks and Gandalf's charms would have convinced me to return. I had a reason to return, but I forgot what it was." Legolas said that he was lost throughout those days since his mind was wandering. "I am not cured, father; my body is frightened and my spirit is wounded; yet, I feel I have the will to continue living."

Made from wood and stone!

Thranduil then held his son more tightly than ever before. "Of course, you would, you are after all my son. But you have no recollection of Xena and Amethyst and what transpired at that time?" Thranduil inquired.

"I have no recollection of them!" Legolas acknowledged, and Thranduil held him one more. He felt bad about Xena, but he was glad that his son had returned, albeit in bits. "Now go rest, and we will have a lengthy conversation when I finish my trial."

Legolas consented to his father's departure but informed him that he would stay in court to see the trial. Thranduil then proceeded to the healing wards to determine what was wrong with Xena. There, he discovered her standing and being led back to the courtroom by the guards. Elrond glared at Thranduil, preparing to wage battle, while the Elvenking regarded him with confusion. When he inquired as to what had transpired, they lied and said she collapsed after becoming overwhelmed. As if it would cause the elves to faint.

When the enormous wooden doors opened, the audience started stepping into the courtroom, and the council, and jury followed. Slowly everyone walked away from Xena and took their seat, as it was time for the verdict to be delivered. Before they have voted for the Verdict Aragorn had shown up and asked Thranduil to be allowed for a hearing. The Elvenking agreed and Aragorn stepped up followed by an injured elf. It was Dínenion who was found alive by the troops of Brad II and had notified the Elvenking's halls. Aragorn left to bring him back to testify.

Enwinawen did not accept at first to let him speak but after Thranduil agreed everyone was silenced. Dínenion offered the truth, how he and his daughter had threatened Thranduil and lately Legolas. That she was the one responsible for Legolas remembering everything, and her death was only caused by her own actions. And Xena was only trying to protect the prince.

"Order!" came the Elvenking's voice brutally and loud, bringing silence at once all over the courtroom. "Juri, what is your vote?"

Dínenion was brought to the healing wards, and there he would perish. Everyone inside the court was confused, but soon everyone had fallen into silence to hear the verdict. The first one to vote was the jury "We found the defender guilty; we voted for capital punishment."

"One vote was for execution," the Elvenking said, "Council, what is your vote?"

The first vote had taken everyone back. Xena's fingers were pinned against the desk, and her breaths were sharp; a few minutes ago, she was ready to accept death, but now with being pregnant, she needed to stay alive. But she remained calm until all the votes were given. Legolas was watching the trial without any worries. Xena did not mean anything to him, why would he be worried.

Glóin stood up, his breath heavy, he hated that he was the one to announce the vote "The council finds the defendant guilty, the council vote goes to life imprisonment."

The audience was restless, Xena and Arwen cast a few glances, but no one dared to talk. Their friends were in a worse position; things were getting serious now, as they were waiting for the last two votes that could send Xena to prison or to her doom.

"Order in my court," the Elvenking demanded. He waited, and when there was finally silence in the courtroom, he continued, "The court decided that Rawen of Imladris is found not guilty and free to go, with one vote given for capital punishment, another for life in prison and two votes for her not being quilty."

There was an explosion in Xena's brain, the right sort, the type that carries more possibilities than she could be conscious of, but there were hundreds of ideas there in that buzz of electricity... she could feel it. It was the calling card of adventure, of paths awaiting her feet. Her punishment was one she could live with; she would not be in prison; she wouldn't be killed.

Her family and friends stormed over her; smiles, hugs, and happy sounds had filled the area. That day, the trial of Xena ended with a massive verdict, but also with hope. Along her way, she would have loved ones and friends, a family to make those times just a little better. She had lost Legolas, and her child would not know his father. But at least he was alive, and maybe they could someday meet again.

((Upcoming Chapter One-Hundred))

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Feel free to Review - Follow - Favorite!