LV: The Hours Before

Helm's Deep, 3019 TA, March 3

The vast fortress of Rohan, today sheltered Rohan's horsemen and its inhabitants. Each man, regardless of age, was assembled to prepare for the impending fight. Women and children were taken to the Glittering Caves, a cave network lying behind Helm's Deep's Deeping Wall. The ranger, the elf, and Xena mixed in with the crowd.

"We'll place the reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate." Aragorn said.

"Aragorn, you must rest. You're no use to us half-alive." Legolas demanded of his friend.

"Aragorn! I'm to be sent with the women into the caves." Èowyn suddenly appeared close to Aragorn complaining.

Xena saw as the Shieldmaiden of Rohan requested Aragorn's approval for her to participate in the battle. Aragorn had fallen from a cliff during the earlier orc and wag ambush. On his route back to Helm's Deep, he saw ten thousand powerful Uruk-hai commanded by Saruman. However, Aragorn's response fell short of her expectations. He appointed her to the last defence, and Èowyn ultimately expressed her profound affection for him.

The second time today that Xena was dumbfoundedly staring at the elf. Legolas had overheard the conversation, and his demeanour had darkened as a result. Then she remembered when the ranger bumped into Legolas following his return. The time Legolas spent considering his friend's absence was detrimental. Despite the fact that Legolas believed the ranger would return, Xena sensed the anguish in his eyes as his expression remained unreadable.

"Le abdollen." [You're late.] The elf said, "You look terrible."

Aragorn smiled as he placed his hand on Legolas's shoulder. She had no doubt that both were dependable friends; she already knew that. However, she had observed it when Legolas took Aragorn's jewellery from the orc. And he ultimately returned the Evenstar of Arwen to him. The ranger respectfully bowed to his companion. And Legolas offered him a distinctive grin that concealed all the beauties that the skies and stars had bestowed upon him; with them all, he was endowed and adorned.

"Hannon le." [Thank you.] Aragorn said.

But that occurred hours ago, and now they were all in the armoury, conversing as weapons were distributed to the villagers. They have examined Helm's Deep's defences. They saw how many horsemen and peasants would engage in combat. They determined the probable result.

"Farmers, farriers, stable boys." said Aragorn "These are no soldiers."

"They have never seen a fight!" Xena added.

"Most have seen too many winters!" Gimli told them as he gazed at the people around him.

"Or too few. Look at them. They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes." Legolas spoke, while his gaze rest against Aragorn. There was a sudden silence filling the room. "Boe a hyn neled herain... dan caer menig!" [And they should be. Three hundred... against ten thousand!]

"Si beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras." [They have a better chance defending themselves here than in Edoras.] The ranger explained.

"Aragorn, men I ndagor. Hýn ú ortheri. Natha daged aen!"[They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!] Legolas cried out with an angry voice.

"Then I shall die as one of them!" Aragorn responded irritated by the Elf's words. He and Legolas stared at each other, and Aragorn walked away.

Legolas tried to catch up with him, though Gimli stopped him "Let him go, lad. Let him be."

"Are you done? Or do you want to irritate more people today?" Xena stated while abruptly blocking his path. She realised that losing the ranger left the elf in a state of sorrow.