XXXI: The departure from Rivendell

Imladris, 3018 TA, December 25

At last, the Fellowship of the Ring turned away and faded silently into the dusk as planned. They crossed the bridge and made their way carefully up the steep roads that led out of Rivendell's cloven valley, until they reached the high hills, watching behind them all others of the house of Elrond, members and guests, who stood there in the shadows and watched them walk away offering them their wishes for safe travel.

For many miles and days, they were determined to keep their track west of the mountains. To avoid detection by hostile eyes, they intended to go at a slower pace over the rugged and desolate landscape on the other side of the mountain range, where the Great River flows.

Gandalf walked in front, and with him went Aragorn, who knew this land even in the dark. Hours earlier he had walked through the gardens of Imladris visiting his mother's grave which he had not visited for many years. He stood there for a long time watching the statue trying to remember the last memory of his dear mother. He leaned forward cleaning the dirt and dead plants that grew in dry soil.

At the age of twenty, Aragorn's mother, Gilraen, observed a shift in her son and asked him about it. Elrond would not readily agree to the marriage of his own daughter to a mortal man, even if he were the rightful heir to Gondor. In fear that the line of Isildur might cease, Gilraen warned Aragorn that his destiny was to roam the Wild. Aragorn left Rivendell and joined the Rangers of the North, and his mother left Rivendell and went to live alone near her people in Eriador. She did not often see her son for he continued to journey throughout Middle-earth.

His thoughts, however, returned to his beloved Arwen. Now as the darkness was rising he feared for her more than ever. If his mother were still alive she would advise him on the matter, because he did not know what path to take. He was leaving her behind without knowing where this journey would bring him. He would be one of the nine who aided in the distraction of the ring, and for that, he was not complaining. Though, he was leaving his heart behind without knowing what would follow.

"Anirne hene beriad i chên în. Ned Imladris nauthant e le beriathar aen." [She wanted to protect her child. She thought that in Rivendell you would be safe.] Elrond's quiet voice astonished the ranger, who was in deep thought, as he approached him from behind.

Aragorn didn't give Elrond much of a second glance; instead, he continued to look at the statue of his mother and was gently stroking her face. The lord of Imladris resumed, after a little hiatus, "In her heart, your mother knew you'd be hunted all your life. That you'd never escape your fate. The skill of the Elves can reforge the sword of kings, but only you have the power to wield it."

The ranger finally acknowledged him and turned and face him with his hand resting close to his neck where the Arwen Evenstar Pendant rested. "I do not want that power. I have never wanted it," he said and believed it.

"Aragorn, You are the last of that bloodline." Elrond reminded him "There is no other."

The ranger sighed and continued to look at the statue, he knew that if his mother was alive she would have reminded him of the same. Arwen had as well. Arwen he thought, he would miss her now, more than ever. But once again his thoughts were interrupted as if Elrond had read his thoughts.

"Our time here is ending." he said with a sadness in his voice "Arwen's time is ending. Let her go. Let her take the ship into the west. Let her bear away from her love for you to the Undying Lands. There it will be evergreen and no darkness."

"But never more than memory," answered Aragorn respectfully. Although, he understood Elrond's worries because he somehow kept agreeing with him. He would never want to see Arwen fade away or live through all the darkness. He loved her, but he did not love her so little to be the cause of her suffering.