CII: The Trap

Minas Tirith, 3019 TA, June 22nd

The room was peaceful, and the sun was rising slowly. The early light was struggling to break through the heavy drapes into the spacious room. Legolas lay still on the enormous bed, making no sound. He was sleeping soundly, which was unusual for an elf. He laid on his torso, his hair unbraided and loose all over his body, covering the pillows. His clothes, including his tunic, leggings, and boots, were strewn around the room. The delicate white silk blankets covered his button and below, revealing severe wounds on his back. The scars had turned into a fine silver thread that shone in the sunshine. His skin was nothing like it had been before; he could cover most of his scars, but some were visible around his body.

The scars were a source of pride for what he had accomplished as well as a reminder of the darkness he had confronted but did not linger in. It was well known that if an Elf was scarred, it may faint or transform into something different, something darker. Elves were sensitive to lose and grief. They could only be murdered by violence or profound despair. His father was one of the few elves who, after losing his loving wife and facing the darkness, stayed on Middle Earth. Few people are aware of Elvenking's tribulations. However, his son confronted his own and learned not to be overwhelmed by them.

The morning was still early, and everyone in the kingdom had risen and was eating breakfast in the dining room. As the damsel inquired, Xena was already assisting to retrieve the velvet bags from the bedchambers. Arwen had assigned her to fetch the laundry from the guests since the chief maiden was ill. She knew her sister was lying, but she played along. Xena was already aware that since it was breakfast time, all of the visitors might be located in the restaurant. And if she wasn't performing her job, she'd be with them, feasting and slandering the king.

"Beardless pointy-earned pixie, I'll have my vengeance," Xena murmured as she stumbled along the hallways, room after chamber. She would collect the soiled clothing in the velvet bag, open the curtains and windows, and change the bedsheets. The new maiden assigned her a simple duty, but cleaning the guest rooms was insane. They could never open a window while wearing unclean clothes inside the bag.

"You are welcome to..." Elladan stepped in with a bit too much enjoyment as he appeared next to Xena as she stepped outside Gimli's chamber.

"...a little complaint." Elrohir smiled as he finished.

Xena was nearly startled since she hadn't heard the twins approaching her. "What a surprise to see you!" she said ironically. She had already dealt with enough lunacy, and now she had to deal with her brothers. "Thank you, but I can handle my own difficulties," she said as she stuffed the bags into the wooden cart.

Elladan grinned and stepped in front of her, towering over her. "It'll be a simple chore," he said, disregarding Xena's anger.

"... and we'll help you..." Following in his brother's footsteps, Elrohir stated.

Elrond's daughter came to a halt and looked at them. "You are naughty and unlike other brothers, I've met; that is refreshing," she conceded with a tiny grin, "but I - am - not - interested!"

The twins exchanged glances, listened to her praise, and smiled genuinely. "Tell her about our strategy, brother..." Elrohir murmured as he and Elladan drew closer to disclose their grand scheme.

Elladan glanced around to make sure no one was listening and murmured quietly, "You're going to seize Legolas' weapons and toss them out the window at us. Legolas is going to..."

Xena narrowed her eyes and snatched Elladan by the collar. "Of all people, you should know not to touch someone's weapons," she snarled. "That isn't vengeance." She took a peek at the twins. "... it's a cowardly act! Get out of my way," she said as she released Elladan and pushed her way through.