VII Unexpected Behaviour

Imladris, 3018 TA, October 9

In the week that followed, the Prince of Mirkwood had spotted the strange human called Xena taking long walks along the halls of Rivendell. Her Amazonian figure sat well on her wafer-thin body. She had a decanter shaped waist, and her complexion had an impeccable, ochrous hue. Her pencil-thin eyebrows eased down gently to her black, beetle's-leg eyelashes. A sculptor could not have fashioned her seraph's ears and pixie's nose any better. Legolas had taken the time to notice all the details about her.

Although, with a broken leg, she did not take a break from exploring every corner of Rivendell. The elf understood that she needed to get familiar with the place. The first day it seemed as if she was roaming freely without any care. But by the third day, she had managed to find herself around without asking for instructions. He was amused at her stubbornness and prideful behaviour. Even with a broken leg and in an alien world, she slowly became familiar with the place.

Legolas recognized one more hidden trick in her long walks. Xena was aware that some of the elven maidens liked to gossip. Most of the gossips lacked any critical information. However, some talk aided Xena to understand this alien world a bit better. For starters, she was aware that a great evil was rising. By day more guests arrived, and the rising darkness affected the elves. How and why; she had not yet figured out.

She heard tales about Sauron and the one ring. It seemed that elves liked to sing and tell tales. But most of the time the elves could be seen standstill in peace without doing anything. She knew she had to sit down and do some reading. She had passed outside the library a few times, but she never entered.

Xena would take her dinner late and alone when the dining Hall was empty, and she kept most of the time to herself, trying to gather as much information as she could. Around midnight, she would show up in the opening in front of the bedchambers to admire the view. Legolas met her there every night. But both remained silent in deep thought.

Xena walked as fast as her injured feet could carry her in the hallway, ignoring the amused looks on the elves faces as she rushed past them. Today she had decided to explore the library and find out as many facts as possible about Middle Earth and its races. She spent a week trying to figure out Rivendell, and she succeeded, but she knew Middle Earth could not be investigated in a week, nor a month.

The silence of the room made his blood as cold as the autumnal air that crept through an open window, even if an elf would hardly feel any cold. He was taken back when Xena stepped into the library. Legolas observed her from afar as she carried her way through the library, searching which book to read. Her broken leg that was doing better the previous week gave the impression of having worsened now.

Xena sighed and turned another page in the book, which was the third she had chosen trying to read it. Despite her attempts, her mind refused to recognize the words and symbols as the scripts were written mostly in Sindarin.

In the meanwhile, Legolas sat nearby the fireplace reading an ancient book of old tales. Rivendell had an enormous amount of books and scripts from ancient times. He was amused to watch the newcomer trying to figure her way around the old scripts that were written in a foreign language. Obviously, the elf could help the human by informing her that she would find in the eastern parts of the library all the books and scripts written in the common tongue. But what would be the fun in doing that?

"Le suilon, Prince Legolas!" [I greet you!] the female elf came quickly and placed herself side by side with Legolas "I have been told you arrived days ago. I wished to meet with you but you could not. "

He remained in the same position, without altering his stand. "Mae l'ovannen, Lady Aeariel." [Well met.] his response was formal and short "News fly faster than I expected. I had my own affairs to attend."