XXII: The unexpected ambush

Imladris, 3018 TA, October 27

Stallions are magnificent creatures with unique beauty and a strong purpose to possess. Galloping over the fields assured the rider's return to Imladris was filled with incredible excitement and amazement. All four riders understood the significance of a horse; it was not only a trusted companion on whatever trip they chose, but it was also a method of getting them to their objective quicker and without the rider tiring.

Two of the horses had been reared and trained to traverse Mirkwood's terrors and gloom. Because beings that had not been nurtured in Mirkwood would be afraid of it, and most would flee or freeze in the face of all the evil that existed in the Mirkwood forest. One of the horses, in particular, was the prince's horse, which had endured atrocities that most horses would not. It had accompanied Legolas on many journeys throughout the years. Legolas called it Súrë, which means "wind" in elvish since it was one of the quickest horses he had ever had.

The horse handed to Xena had a similar pattern of brown and white as Legolas, it was a horse trained in Mirkwood, and it had seen a lot of blood and darkness as well. Varnë was the name given to him by his owner because of his brownish colour. It was a quick horse, but it had one little flaw: it was often spooked by its own shadow. And now, when the riders returned to Rivendell, the light cast more shadows than it should have, making the poor creature jump startled.

Asfaloth was Arwen's horse; it belonged to Glorfindel and was sometimes ridden by Elrond's daughter. When Glorfindel was at Rivendell or travelling without his faithful friend, Arwen would ride his horse. Everything began when she overheard Aragorn and Glorfindel discussing her riding abilities, and both agreed that Asfaloth was a highly strong and powerful horse to be utilised by Arwen. The following day, Arwen rode Asfaloth to Lothlórien to see her grandmother followed by her brothers.

It didn't take long for everyone in Rivendell to be talking about Arwen's ability to gallop such a horse and her act of seizing it without consulting Glorfindel. Elrond was irritated by the occurrence and the rumours spread in his daughter's name. Aragorn and Glorfindel were left to cope with the aftermath. To resolve the quarrel, Glorfindel told them that he had given Arwen permission to ride his horse. Since then, it's been known that Arwen would sometimes be spotted using Asfaloth.

Aragorn's mare's name was Aira, and she had been with him for most of his life. Aragorn's last experience with it occurred when taking the hobbits to Rivendell; after that, he would leave the horse in Imladris to live his final years in peace. Aira was gasping for air as it was carrying Aragorn and Pippin on his back, making the mare tired. Next to Aragorn, Arwen was galloping Asfaloth, and Merry was riding with her.

"Aira seems exhausted," Arwen said as she observed Aragorn's horse. "She's been galloping for many hours now, Aragorn."

"We can't keep going at this rate because she's becoming old. This was, I suppose, the final trip I took on her." While lovingly running his fingers through the mare's silky hair, the ranger responded.

"Are you going to abandon her in Imladris?" Arwen inquired as she held her stallion's reins, ensuring Asfaloth took the correct way.

The ranger smiled and nodded. "I feel Imladris is the best spot for her to spend her last years. I am not abandoning her she is in good hands."

"Merry! Merry! Are you sleeping?" Pippin inquired after noticing that his cousin had not talked in a while.

"I guess I was dreaming," Merry remarked as he straightened his back and held against Arwen.

"Our last meal was hours ago," Pippin murmured quietly, not wanting the others to hear him and scold him again. "I'm starving!"

"Sam would have had the breakfast ready by half-past nine," Merry added, remembering how Sam was always the one who made sure they ate on time by preparing their meals.