LXXXIX: The Nemesis of Mirkwood

Woodland Realm, 3019 TA, May 1st

Elvenking's forces cornered the enemy close to Mount Gundabad while the rain of arrows continued into the night, regardless of time or sun. The arrows were launched with astounding precision, and the Elvenking's men drew their swords. Even though they were dangerously near to the orc mountain, they maintained their confidence. Tauriel was dragged along with Thranduil's finest soldiers.

Glóin was followed by a large number of dwarves who were displaying martial pride by pushing out their chests. They were reminded of the formidable coalitions the world might form if its forces joined. Their past demonstrates that an alliance between them is impossible, yet both parties have fought tirelessly to achieve what was impossible decades ago.

They joined up with Bard II, the great-grandson of Bard the Bowman and the spitting image of him, whose men had separated into smaller groups to guard the perimeter. During the Battle of the Five Armies, Thranduil and his great-grandfather were on the same side. The accord between Bard II and Thranduil transpired more easily than anticipated.

They fought throughout the whole War of the Ring, and even when the ring was destroyed, orcs and spiders did not release them. But today's onslaught was unique since none of them was protecting their territories. Today, Elvenking himself ordered them to launch an open assault. Following his departure from Lothlórien and throughout his return to Mirkwood, he pondered his next action.

To kill Uagz!

He chose first to seek help from the King of Dale and his troops, and then from Glóin as well, and quickly rode to meet them. It was the first time Thranduil had left his pride behind; his sole concern was for his son. Before Legolas returned to Mirkwood, before pursuing Ugaz, and he remembered everything.

The King of Dale was easy to persuade to join him since Thranduil had always granted his requests for help. The Elvenking had sent a contingent of his troops to collaborate closely with those of Dale and Laketown. These forces had camped outside the city and were simultaneously guarding the Woodland Realm and Dale's boundaries.

Glóin, on the other hand, did not instantly agree with him; there was still lingering animosity. However, when Thranduil pleaded with him and explained that this mission was to assist Legolas and not himself, Glóin yielded, and the soldiers were located, and the plan was established. They rode out and camped at the northern end of the Misty Mountains and the western edge of the Grey Mountains. Their objective was to encircle the Uagz forces observed on Mount Gundabad.

The combat and movements around Thranduil occurred swiftly, but the orcish forces did not fall easily. This was their second planned attempt, but Uagz was not among them. The assault continued without pause and would endure for days. Both sides were losing men, and it was evident that even after Sauron's defeat, there are still evil powers in Middle-earth.

"More are coming," Tauriel said, "and they want to block our passage to Mount Gundabad. However, the northernmost route remains available. Thus, we may avoid falling into a trap and effortlessly escape."

"Do not stop; our aim is not to reach Gundabad, but to make Uagz appear." Thranduil cried out as he continued to assault without pausing, and his blade sliced through the advancing orcs. "He is hiding since this was not in his plans."

Thranduil was actively engaged in the battle, ordering his swordsmen into the action, commanding his archers to shower down death, and wielding his broadsword deftly against Uagz's warriors. Numerous times, he was encircled by orcs, but he quickly dispatched Uagz attackers and actively engaged in the combat. Elven blood was shed the most in this conflict, followed by a dwarf and human blood.