LVII: Wonderfully Wrong

Edoras, 3019 TA, March 5

There was something mystifyingly alluring about becoming a part of a throng and alleviating one's loneliness. Act identically. Feel identical. Fight equally. An echo of our humanity, a moment of oneness, was accompanied by a sense of independence. The people of Rohan rejoiced at their survival. They hurried to locate their family and houses. The men of Rohan, the king, and the company all contributed to the disorder. To purify oneself, to abandon all filthiness. To sleep for many hours. Then, to meet the King and drink for the fallen.

The group would next to ride to Edoras, where they would celebrate their victory at Helm's Deep. King Théoden was given the Cup of Kings by his niece Éowyn and spoke to the people of Rohan, including Aragorn, about the heroes who died protecting Helm's Deep's gates and saving the realm. In the Golden Halls of Edoras, everyone was drinking and celebrating the defeat of Saruman and his army.

The sun descended below the horizon, emitting its last rays. The human had returned to the spacious room that had been provided to her days before. She had discovered, to her amazement, that a further chamber concealed behind a big current led to a private bathroom. The bathroom seemed like a natural setting, with clean, warm water waiting for her to wash and unwind.

The warmth of the water, the way it caressed every inch of her skin, and the perfume of the bath were a welcome reprieve from the ugliness and blood she had experienced recently. It was a spot where she could breathe deeply and regain her inner serenity. She bathed in the warm water for a considerable amount of time while reliving all that had transpired.

During the preceding days, it seemed that they would not prevail against the Uruk-hai in combat. But they prevailed, and suddenly everything was returning to normal. At least until the next danger emerged. Even Legolas and Gimli were on friendlier terms, though they continued to compete to see who could kill the most Uruks. Xena smiled, considering their battle to be juvenile. A five hundred years old elf playing like some child.

After several more minutes of tranquil stillness, the warrior princess continued to consider the elf more than they should have. She recalled how he conducted himself throughout the conflict. She had seen Legolas engage in combat before and was aware of his prowess. But seeing him fight in real combat was beyond her wildest imaginings. He was one of the greatest archers she had ever seen, and he understood how to wield his blades. He was courageous throughout combat.

But also courageous as our human. When both were on the battlefield, they were able to synchronise their attacks such that they were balanced. Both parties were now aware of the fact that they were deadly fighters, and they embraced this fact. It did not matter that Legolas was an elf or even an obnoxious elf; while battling together, they were able to create wanders.

Obviously, there were many excellent combatants, and humans recognise their talents. Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Éomer captivated her interest. In this manner, her thoughts wandered to Éowyn, a very unusual woman who had the will to fight but need permission to do so. She was somewhat reminiscent of Gabrielle, although if it were Gabrielle, she would turn up to fight even if she was instructed to wait.

She decided not to linger any longer, and to wear the long gown that was offered to her. She still was bothered about gowns and Middle Earth, in every town she ended up staying they were providing her with gowns. But tonight's choice was one of the best, the quality and the colours were one of the kind. However, the gown was heavy. She wore the blush full sleeve gown with golden patterns.

Her hair hung straight against her, and the depth of colour in her brown hair was like the best cathedral choir singing in perfect harmony. Her complexion was paler than normal, and a few scrapes and bruises were noticeable. However, her look tonight was unique, like a great Mirkwood wine. She shut the door behind her and entered the Golden Hall of Meduseld with the others.