XXVI: The Moonlight Eldar

Imladris, 3018 TA, November 13

The November mornings were bright and airy. Most of the dawns were beautiful and the mist was rising like a dragon's breath. It drifted up, circling the trees. In the forest, the leaves were still spring-green and lush. For now, the rivers ran joyfully as a group of men was conversing in the greater area of the gardens of Imladris.

"Lord Aragorn, pray tell me, how is the lass?" Gimli intervened; he followed Aragorn this morning to inquire about Xena's well-being, and they ended up having an extended debate with other lords about their little adventure. Gandalf forbade them from discussing Legolas and Xena's capture of the orcs, as well as their welfare. Whoever inquired of the prince and human was informed that they continued their trip to the next town.

"I believe Lord Elrond would know better," the ranger said, resting a hand on the dwarf's left shoulder. "Are you concerned about them?"

"Them?" Gimli said confused gazing up at the man dressed in black "You have heard me asking about the lass and not the pointy-eared pixie..."

"Aye, I heard," Aragorn admitted, "but I believed you were now on better terms with the elf."

"Elves and Dwarves have always been enemies. Mirkwood elves had already forsaken our kin, imprisoning my own father. Certainly not, my Lord Aragorn. I'm not worried about Thranduil's son; I just wanted to check in with my friend." While staring at the ranger, the dwarf said in a deeper tone.

"Friends? Are you acquainted with Xena?" The ranger inquired, perplexed, having missed the period when the dwarf and human would spend hours together vilifying Legolas.

"Whoever is opposed to that pointy-bastard is a friend of mine," Gimli proudly remarked. "In the same vein, we despise the elves, particularly Legolas."

Aragorn grinned as he gently tapped the dwarf's shoulder "Your friend came perilously close to death attempting to rescue Legolas. I'm not sure you're still on the same page, Master dwarf."

Gimli was confused because he needed to gain a greater perspective, on what had been presented to him. "Lord Aragorn, individuals see the truth differently; their accounts of the identical occurrences are sometimes diametrically opposed. Allow time, and I shall await the lass's interpretation. However, you did not address my concern about her well-being."

His simple, earnest response and the conviction on his face made Gimli feel at ease "They are no longer in danger, they should be able to join us shorty Master Gimli. Are you in need of another answer?" Aragorn asked.

"For you to answer only what is asked, Lord Aragorn," Gimli added only to outline that it took the ranger a few long moments to answer his question.

Aragorn nodded as the lords continued to debate the ways and routes they would follow on their impending journey. Indeed, their intentions would be affected by what had occurred to the elf and human, but they still needed to organise the quest to destroy the one ring.

---

Mirkwood, 3018 TA, November 15

The guards that had accompanied Legolas to Rivendell had now returned to Mirkwood, bearing the unfortunate news to the Elvenking. His son consented to pursue the mission, which may easily lead to his doom. Of course, his son was a competent warrior, the greatest archer in Mirkwood – if not all of Arda – but he was still his only child, and he was concerned. And, fortunately, he was unaware of his recent injuries. Because it would require him to ride to Imladris and retrieve his son.