LVIII: The Formless Shade of the East

Edoras, 3019 TA, March 5

Xena's thoughts were getting nowhere, it was like she was pulled into a meaningless mind game. A game of her own darkness that became a protective saviour who was unknown, but bound in duty to obey the light, then the darkness became the most of black velvets illuminated by heaven-spun stars. There lost in her own dream of her memories she conquer the season of darkness by opening a door to her own light.

Xena stood watching the valley under the cliff, and further west the forests and rivers. There were all her memories of Middle-Earth, united in one dream. In her dream he seemed excited for her to recognise the places, the valley was familiar, the golden trees, and the rivers. She tried to run and jump off the climb into the familiar scenery but her way was cut. A coldness settled in her bones until everything was gone and the blue sky only remain.

"Xena, it's not as if people will stare at you." a familiar voice told her and Xena knew immediately that she was dreaming. She was standing on the rim of a cliff, it was windy and it was raining, the darkness was gone and a familiar light had appeared. There she was sitting on a rock admiring the unseen view beyond the cliff.

She took a deep breath letting the familiar sounds, smells and sights settle in. Even if it was a dream it was nice to see Gabrielle once again. "I'm not worried about that," she answered noticing that she was wearing the same dress as last night.

"It's the latest rage in Rohan. You know what they say... When in Gondor..." Gabrielle told her as she turned over relaxing her body and smiling at Xena "You should wear dresses more often!"

"Oh, please." Xena offered as she rolled her eyes and took a step next to Gabrielle "I don't know, Gabrielle. Look- this is just not me."

"No, no. It is you. It was just taken away from you!" her friend offered while starting to fix the collar of her dress "I don't know, Gabrielle. Look- this is just not me. There's a lot to be said about immersing yourself into the culture of new land."

"What's that?" retorted Xena "Wearing gowns and acting like a lady?"

"I don't know. But you can try and give it a chance. After all, it is home, isn't it?" Gabrielle said waiting for the warrior princess to answer.

When Gabrielle asked the question it was daytime in her dreams, but Xena answered came late at night when the stars were hiding behind the clouds and the wind became stronger. "I have given it many chances, Gabrielle," Xena admitted "There places I could live, but I preferred to remain dead." She sighed and shook her head "I am not sure where home is any longer!"

"Home is where your heart lays, Home is where you are supposed to be," she smiled at her "Why are you fighting it. Let go, and just be! If you try to force things you will never get the answers. And you know that."

"I know it," Xena admitted "But since when do I go with the flow Gabrielle. I have fought against it all my life."

"You have! Since the day I met you. But there are times Xena you can't win, and you have to accept what life is giving to you." she answered softly placing her hand against Xena's "Accept what you are, and things will come easier."

"I am dead," Xena insisted "And I have accepted it. Then all this happened! Wars, elves, hobbits, rings and too many things that are not part of our world."

"But they are," Gabrielle offered "You're just being stubborn."

"I am not," Xena argued "Everyone else is who is trying to have me accept Middle Earth as my new home. It's not!"