XLVII: Farewell to Lórien

Caras Galadhon, 3019 TA, February 15

The gang deliberated for two days on what they should do and how they should try to accomplish their mission with the Ring. They would have followed a leader over the River and into Mordor's shadow; Aragorn's mind was still torn, and Frodo saw Boromir's change of heart. Boromir's evil side will possess the Ring. Similar to what he did in Elrond's council.

The night was ageing rapidly. After the conclusion of the argument, everyone fell asleep. As they began to pack their few belongings in the morning, the Elves who could understand their language approached them and presented them with numerous presents of food and clothes for the trip. It was also decided which of Xena's garments would accompany her and which would be left behind. Legolas appeared to get his belongings.

Exterior, more food was provided in the shape of extremely thin cakes made of a meal that was browned on the outside and cream-coloured on the interior. Gimli was compelled to try it, although he seemed to have consumed too much. The elves had to explain that a tiny portion could sustain him for the whole day.

The Elves then unwrapped and distributed to each member of the Company the attire they had provided. For everyone, they had fashioned a hood and cloak out of the Galadhrim's light yet warm silken fabric, according to the individual's size. The colour resembled silver-veined green leaves.

Xena donned her freshly cleaned armour, along with her leather corset and the new black elfin leggings that had been handed to her. Her dark brown hair had been straightened. She donned the hooded cloak that was also handed to her. As she observed the other members of the fellowship, she admired the fabric of their cloaks.

"Are these magic cloaks?" asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

"I'm not sure what you mean by that!" answered the leader of the Elves.

"They are Pippin! You wear those and all the food you wish appears in front of you!" she mocked him.

The Company said goodbye to the grass near the fountain after breakfast. Their hearts were sad because while they could not recall how many days and nights they had spent there, it had become like home to them. Haldir appeared to bid them farewell and inform them: "Come! Your path now goes south."

As they walked through Caras Galadhon the greenways were empty, but in the trees above them, many voices were murmuring and singing. They themselves went silently. Haldir walked them through the white bridge to their boats. Three small grey boats had been made ready for the travellers, and in these, the Elves stowed their goods.

"Come! All is now ready for you. Enter the boats! But take care at first!" Said Haldir.

The Company was arranged in this way: Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam were in one boat; Boromir, Merry, and Pippin in another; and in the third were Legolas, Xena and Gimli, who had now become fast friends. In this last boat, most of the goods and packs were stowed.

As the Elf spoke, the Fellowship climbed into the boats. Legolas helped Gimli on board. Xena, jumped into the boat, refusing to get any help from Legolas. Sam tried to steady himself. Meanwhile, Aragorn and Celeborn wander and exchanged a few last words.

The Fellowship rowed through the river, past the Elves onshore. They were departing from Lothlórien. They turned a sharp bend in the river, and there, sailing proudly down the stream toward them, they saw a swan of great size. The water rippled on either side of the white breast beneath its curving neck.

A song could be heard at the back as the boats float away, following the river. Mixed feelings were showing on their faces. Sadness and bliss, as they remembered the gifts they received from the Lady of Lorien.