Chapter 2: Birthday Audience

The photo is what the necklace looks like

It had been eighteen long years since this fateful day. Eighteen years since Dark-Soul brought me here in this "castle". For everyone who lived here, it was indeed a castle. For me, it was a jail I couldn't leave. Oh, I tried so many times but the necklace prevented me from leaving. It blocked every way out: the entrances, the sky and the grounds lower than the torture chambers. Okay, they were not called torture chambers, they were called re-education rooms. It was basically the same thing. As for the necklace, I couldn't take it off. Not that I didn't want to, it only responded, as far as I knew, to Dark-Soul.
His real name was Cyrian, King of Northern Wolves and other boring titles. I think Dark-Soul suited him best. Cyrian meant control, which was very fitting, but less than Dark-Soul. Don't get me wrong, I was the only one who thought, knew, that he was evil. All others saw, especially women, was a tall, broad, charismatic leader who's powerful, firm but just. In short, an handsome Alpha.
The only good thing about the necklace was that it only suppressed my powers, not my wolf form. Sadly, it also prevented me from killing anyone. If it didn't Dark-Soul's days on Earth would have ended by sooner. He wasn't about to die soon either since the only ways to kill a werewolf are childbirth, that was not going to happen, men don't have babies, the death of a soul-mate, he didn't have one of those, decapitation, as if someone would kill the King adored by all but me, and old age, he was only 130 and werewolves usually live to be 200. Those didn't work on me either. The necklace made it impossible for me to be decapitated, I tried. I hadn't found my soul-mate yet, so him or her dying couldn't mean my death, I think. I couldn't have children, not that I have tried, I just knew it. I was only eighteen so no chance of me dying of old age. Looks like I was cursed, forced to stay alive until I was no longer needed.
So, today was my eighteen birthday. As if today would be special. It wasn't in the past and it wasn't going to be now. I just went outside in the training centre and, you guessed it, trained. When I was little, it was easy. Children were afraid of me and would run in their mother's skirt. They soon learned that I couldn't use my powers or kill anyone. They discovered that unless I was attacked first, I couldn't hurt them, stupid necklace, but I could defend myself to a certain point. That was when I started training, to be strong, fast and agile. To protect myself, because nobody would and nobody cared to. Also because injuries hurt, a lot. Especially broken bones that repaired themselves.
I made it to the centre without being insulted, a first in a long time. Maybe this day was going to be special, or it was just too early for anyone to be awake. Apparently not too early, Dark-Soul Junior graced me with his presence along with his many followers. No, this wasn't his name, although I wished it was. He was very proud of his name,  Mikyan, meaning power. I sighed. This was going to be a long day if they stayed here. I would have to endure their hurtful words and despise the many years that I have known them, they never got repetitive. With a bit of luck, they would attack first and I would get to beat them. I had beat every single one of them in combat before, including Junior. Each time was the most satisfying moment I had ever lived.
"Scared of me, Rishka? My coming-of-age ritual is in a week. I will live up to my name and your life will be hell."
Rishka had been my nickname since I was brought here. It meant abnormal.
"As if. You were scared of me until your daddy told you that I couldn't kill anyone or use my powers, not that you know what they are, since daddy dearest refuses to tell you."
That was true, Dark-Soul hadn't told anyone what my powers were and had hid my tattoos. I wasn't allowed to talk about it either. I had told a maid once when I was three, he instantly knew and killed her in front of me. He had, then, sent me in the re-education chamber until I wasn't even able to pronounce the word infinity. I was still unable to.
"We'll see about that. My father has decided to hold an audience with only me... and you, tonight. I bet he will tell me all I need to know."
Great, just what I needed on my birthday, or any day really, an audience with Dark-Soul.
"Or he'll tell you that you are going to Wulfric and I will finally be freed from your horrible face."
Wulfric was the boarding school for Alphas, where they learned to control their powers after their coming-of-age.
"Even better, I am indeed going to Wulfric and you come with me so I can always have a toy to torture."
Oh the stars, please don't let that be true.
"I see I managed to scare you" he said with a smug grin on his face.
"You wish."
I was, though. Without Dark-Soul's presence, who knew what he would do to me. Time to train until I couldn't think of this possibility. Cardio, muscles and flexibility. Done, good thing since it was already noon. I was starving. Mikyan and his followers had been gone for three hours, replaced by guards and older nobles. Time to put some food in my stomach. I changed to my wolf form, since I was much faster as a wolf. I got up to my bedroom. I was not allowed inside the dinning hall. After my meal, like everyday, I went to the library. There was a spot full of cushion where I always sat. It was near a window and high enough so I could see outside the walls of the castle.
I gazed outside, imagining what it was like to run free, in the forest with no care in the world. What it was like to participate in the hunt, having others to run with. To feel the wind in my fur, see the stars. I had never seen stars other than in books. The lights in the library masked them and I had no windows in my bedroom. Plus, I had a curfew and was not allowed to break it unless I had a special dispense like today. Dark-Soul knew if I did something I was not allowed to and back to torture room if I broke the rules. So I never did.
I was almost done with the four books I had taken, but as the hours passed, the harder it was for me to concentrate. As the clock reached 7 pm, I knew I had to go.