Chapter 47: Echos Of The Past

Hey guys! I'm feeling a bit sick at the moment (I wasn't able to open my fridge because I was hurting too much). Let's hope that I get better so I can continue writing. Thank you for your support of the story; I can't tell you how amazing it feels that you like it so much <3. Have fun reading this chapter and as always, I love you all :). Don't forget to vote and comment :P

"What's Resonance?"
"Aren't you an impatient one? It's the name I gave to the phenomena Keeshee was thinking about. Once the link is established, emotions aren't the only things that are shared. Thoughts and pain are as well. This is why your wolf won't be scared to come out once it's in place; I won't be able to hurt you without hurting myself. Not that I would, of course."
"Weren't you able to feel my pain before?"
"I knew that you were in pain, but I wasn't feeling it. After, I'll experience it like it's done to me as well."
"Won't you be able to block it?"
"No. Blocking things from each other will be impossible without killing us."
"How do you know?"
"It happened before," he said with a sad smile.
"Did you knew them?" I asked softly.
"I wish. They were my parents."
I laid down, putting my head on his stomach.
"I'm sorry, Rilos. What happened to them?"
He started to stroke my hair.
"We were still living with humans at that point. My father was one of the Alphas that were trying to live in peace with them. Some humans were okay with werewolves, but the majority were divided in two opinions. One part thought we were the Devil's creation and needed to be exterminated. They called themselves "God's Army". The other faction was called "Hybridos". At first, my father thought that they only wanted to include us in society. It soon became clear that they wanted our powers for themselves. When they realized that we wouldn't submit, they tried another approach. They formed couples between werewolves and humans who were part of their organization, hoping that the babies would be humans with powers or that, at least, they could indoctrinate the newborn werewolves. The problem was that those unions only produced humans without powers, when they produced offsprings at all. They decided that they needed more powerful werewolves. They wanted my mother, without knowing that she was already six months pregnant with me. My father refused. How could he give his soul-mate to someone else? He sent her into hiding with my grandmother in a protected cave where they wouldn't find her. He told them that she was gone to accomplish a ritual that would help her give life to healthy werewolf babies. Of course, it was a lie. He just wanted her to be safe. After a month, they started suspecting that he had lied and captured him. They tried to make him have children with their women, but if it wasn't my mother, he wouldn't get aroused. By that time, he had sent almost all of his werewolves hiding with my mother to protect them. Some stayed behind by loyalty. They were tortured in front of him so he would give in and procreate. He wanted to, but his werewolves said that they'd rather die than see him give up. They ultimately did. The organization tortured my father when they realized that they didn't have any werewolves left. By torturing my father, they were also torturing my mother by extension. She was in labor when they started and my father cut the link, without knowing the consequences, to prevent her from suffering. They died as I was being born. It took me five years before I was able to bring werewolves here. Five years during which it became increasingly harder to go out and hunt because "God's Army" had made wolves nearly extinct by fear that they were hidden werewolves. Meanwhile "Hybridos" had developed weapons and drugs that knocked us out and killed us as easily as it is for us to change. When I was five, I finally was able to control my powers enough to find this alternate dimension and save what was left of the werewolf population."
"You saved our specie when you were five years old?"
"Yeah, basically."
"You always were awesome, weren't you?"
"I had to be. What would my soul-mate had thought if she had found out that I was a complete loser?"
"I don't think that she would see you as a loser. You're the one who saved her from the monsters and nothing could beat that."
"Do you think that she'll forgive me for letting her get hurt once again?"
"I think she already did."
"Did she?"
I looked him in the eyes.
"I forgive you, Rilos. Not because there is something that you need to be forgiven for, but because you need to hear it. What happened wasn't your fault. I never held you responsible. You're the only one who does."
He smiled softly.
"Are you always this wonderful?"
"No. Only with you."
"I feel very privileged then."
He moved away a strand of hair that had fallen in front of my eyes, gently caressing my forehead in the process.
"I'm sorry about your parents, Rilos. I bet they were incredible people."
"They were. I got to know them through others like my grandmother and my father's second-in-command who became the next Alpha and my mentor. They were like my parents and although I had saved them, they didn't put me on a pedestal. They treated me like a normal child and gave me a normal childhood. I was appointed King when I turned 18."
"Did you know that you would live way over 200 years?"
"No because if I had, I wouldn't have suffered as much as I did during those first 200 years."
I tilted my head in incomprehension.
"I got my soul-mate tattoo just before I was crowned. I thought that I would have to wait at most 7 years."
"Why 7?"
"The biggest age difference between two soul-mates at that point was 25 years."
"At that point?"
"How far apart are we, love?"
"Over a thousand years."
"Ding! Now you know what the record is, but when I got my tattoo, it was 25. So I waited and waited. I passed 25 years old and you were still missing in my life. Every year after that, I would not only get sad that you weren't born, but also mad at the world because if you were, your life expectancy would be much lower than normal since you would die way before you were supposed to. Then I turned 200 and didn't have a wrinkle. By the time I was 225, I finally understood that I would probably get to live a lot longer than anyone before. I was happy because that meant that you would get to live older than I thought you would, but I was sad as well because it meant that I wouldn't know when you would arrive."
"Now you know because I'm here."
He smiled, pressing his palm on my cheek and brushing his thumb over my lower lip.
"Yeah, now you're here and the waiting as finally stopped. I want you to know that no matter your setbacks, no matter your fears, I will always love you. You were worth the wait, Lyra."