Chapter 76: Fairness Is For Those Who Deserve It

Hey guys! Longer chapter today and we are at 29.4k views and 1.84k votes :D You make me all so happy, you have no idea! Have fun reading this new chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

    For two days Rilos coached me on how to use the power I had chosen to defeat Cerc using a mannequin. The night before the trial, he showed me something incredible.
    We were in the arena and I had just finished "killing" the dummy.
    "That was great, Lyra. Just stay out of his reach and you will be fine. Remember that you don't have to keep fighting for a long time. You can end it whenever you feel like it. Cerc is cunning so don't let the words he might throw at you get to your head."
    "You should stop worrying about me. You have a fight of your own tomorrow as well."
    "Although this is not something to be proud of, I'm used to killing people, sweetheart. You, on the other hand, aren't. My fight is going to be over fast. Her power isn't lethal at all. Like you, I just have to make sure that she doesn't touch me. Considering the fact that we can fly, it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve. Speaking of which, I have never showed you how amazing we, infinity wolves, are, have I?"
    "I would say that having every power that exists is amazing as it is and you did show me how incredible you were on multiple occasions. What more is there for me to discover?"
    He chuckled and passed his shirt over his head.
    "I already know how sexy you are, Elun," I said, my eyes transfixed on his glowing chest and toned abdomen. He could spend his entire time naked that I still wouldn't get enough of him.
    "My eyes are up here, Lyra," he laughed. "It doesn't matter that much anyway because that's exactly where I want you to look. When at rest, our tattoos are like this, infinity and the four elements," he continued, pointing at them. "However, when we use a particular power, say creating barriers, they transform."
    All of his tattoos, except for his crescent moon, disappeared and were replaced by a bubble, the barrier tattoo.
    "No way! That's amazing!" I exclaimed, lightly caressing the magical design. "How come I've never noticed this before?"
    "Probably because I usually keep my shirt on to prevent you from fainting. And please, stop touching me like that. If you continue, I won't behave."
    "Oh, is my big bad wolf lacking self-control?"
    "By being around you all the time, I think I forgot what self-control was." He kissed me and slipped his hands under my shirt, slowly drawing circles with his thumbs on my stomach. "Judging by your lack of negative reaction towards what I'm doing, I'll assume that you don't mind it that much."
    "You are insatiable," I laughed, reciprocating his kiss with the same enthusiasm, not minding one bit about his wandering hands.
    "Allow me to return the compliment, beautiful. And I have not tasted you for two days. Of course I'm hungry."
    "Rilos! This is highly inappropriate. You are so lucky that there is no one around or I would have beaten up you for saying something like that."
    "But there is no one around so I can tease you all I want," he smirked, attacking my neck as soon as he took off my shirt.
    "You have three seconds to teleport us to our room because I am not doing this here. Three, two..."
    His mouth was on mine just as I was about to say "one" and familiar dark blue walls replaced the arena. I felt the mattress against my back. Rilos gently pushed me until I was completely lying down on our bed. He undressed me reverently, his gaze mapping my body like this was the first time he was seeing me. I moved his hair away from his face and met his eyes, which were filled only with love. I cupped his cheek and smiled softly.
    Wait for me, Rilos. I promise that once I find my voice, I'll tell you that I love you.
    Warm. Everything around me was warm. Especially my face. I opened my eyes and got immediately blinded by the sunlight. I groaned and tried to get out of bed but Rilos was holding me firmly against his body. We did not have time for me to get excited so I had to untangle myself fast.
    "Elun, we have to get ready. The trial will start soon," I murmured, shaking his shoulder.
    "Five more minutes, sweetheart," he mumbled, bringing me closer to him.
    Alright. Time for a different approach. By all the time we had spent together, I had learned to play him just as much as he was able to play me.
    "If you don't get up now, we won't have time to eat breakfast and I'll be hungry until lunch."
    His eyes jerked open. Bingo. He really didn't like it when I was hungry. Protectiveness at its best. In an hour, we were both showered, dressed and fed. Rilos teleported us to the arena, which also served as the court. The Judge was sitting behind a high desk, a woman by his side. Probably his apprentice. A truth ring was stretched around the desk, preventing anyone within the circle to lie. We sat on a bench beside Delalie and Serala. Once all the seats were filled, the Judge rose.
    "Silence. Three cases will be presented in this court today. Be convincing and convinced because a death match is not something you can quit or go back on. First in order, Rilos vs Mayella. Let the accused in."
    Cerc's wife went through the door, shackled and led by Jaline. They stopped in front of the Judge's desk and Jaline walked back out, leaving Mayella there. Rilos kissed me and went down, taking place next to her.
    "Rilos, what is the reason for your request of a death match with the accused?"
    "Attempted murder against my soul-mate and myself by the mean of poison."
    Angry murmurs resonated in the room. Delalie scouted closer to me.
    "Did she really poisoned you both?"
    "She got Rilos. He stopped me before I ate it."
    "Silence. Rilos, your memories, please," the Judge said, extending his hand.
    Rilos gave him his and took it back after a few minutes. The Judge made no comment and turned to Mayella.
    "Do you have anything to present me to defend yourself against those accusation?"
    "No. I did poison their plates," she articulated with difficulty.
    "You can't go against the truth ring, Mayella. Give me your memories of the events."
    She reluctantly gave her hand and when she pulled back, the Judge smiled at me, shaking his head.
    "You've came far since I first met you, Lyra. I'm glad that I got the tuned down version of your possessiveness because that was downright terrifying."
    "She tried to kill my soul-mate and almost succeeded. I wasn't about to stay there, arms crossed, waiting to die. She's only alive because I didn't expect our link to nearly break."
    "Don't worry, Lyra. I'll rectify your oversight," grinned Rilos, cracking wrists.
    "On these words and the evidence presented before me, the death match can proceed. Rilos go in the arena while we untie and give Mayella her power back."
    Rilos jumped in the fighting area, transformed his pants into shorts and took off his shirt. I growled at the sight of people looking at him lecherously. He is mine. He turned around and winked at me. I smirked, laughing, as I noticed the very visible bite mark I had left on his left shoulder during our antics last night. He had probably inhibited his healing because it should have disappeared by now.
****
    "Told you: Possessiveness goes both ways."
    "Don't get hurt or you will sleep on the couch for a week."
****
    He bowed at me and flew up as Mayella made her entry in the fighting ring. She looked up and pressed her lips into a flat line.
    "That's not a fair fight if you aren't on the ground."
    "Oh, I'm sorry," he replied coldly. "If you wanted a fair fight, Mayella, you should have asked for a duel. Poisoning our food wasn't fair either. Lyra would have died if she had eaten it because she doesn't know how to fight that poison. So excuse me but I will destroy you to pieces for trying to kill the most important person in my life."
    His tattoo changed form and became a tombstone. Each person glanced at their neighbour, trying to figure out what this power was. I was as confused as them. Phylana whistled behind me.
    "I thought nobody had or knew how to use that power anymore. I guess having been alive since before the kingdom's foundation gives you a little knowledge in this kind of thing."
    "What is it and how do you know about it?" I asked, turning around to face her.
    "There is a book in the library, unique in the world, that only the King and I, and you now that you're here, can access. It contains a list of all the powers that have ever existed with a drawing of their corresponding tattoo. This one is called decay. It's self-explanatory. Basically, you can decay what you want, including people. He must be a lot more angry at her than he lets us see because the book says that getting decayed is incredibly painful."
    A hand passing over yellowish pages. Words appearing after, tainting the immaculate sheets. The book closing. Dark blond hair falling over it.
    Where had those images come from? My thoughts were protected, so no one could have sent them to me. Keeshee whined, trying to get my attention. Was it you? She shook her head and showed me the link between Rilos and I. It was Rilos? She shook it once more. Someone lifting heavier and heavier weights. Our link is becoming stronger? She nodded, rolling her eyes. Hey, it's not my fault if you can't talk. So, you're saying that I saw his past because our link is stronger. She nodded again, satisfied. Are you coming out soon, then? She shrugged and sighed, going back to sleep. I guess not.
    I turned my attention back to the fight. Rilos was on the ground, his tattoos back to normal, standing next to a pile of ashes. Mayella was nowhere in sight, but, by the look on everyone's face, she must have been where the ashes now were.
    "That concludes this trial. Our King just gave you a great piece of advice: Don't attack a person's soul-mate; you will die. The court will be in recess for ten minutes to get everything cleaned up for the next trial, which is Serala vs Brimmie."
    The benches emptied themselves but I stayed where I was, waiting for Rilos who was talking to the Judge. He noticed me starring at him and appeared where I sat.
    "Are you alright, sweetheart? Was it unbearable?" he asked, worried.
    "To be completely honest, Elun, I did not see anything you did to her."
    "That's great," he sighed, relieved. "I was scared that you would see me as a monster," he whispered.
    "Oh, Rilos," I croaked, encircling his body with my arms. "You're not a monster and you'll never be. You care too much about the pack and I to even think of becoming one. Monsters aren't afraid of being monsters. They're only afraid of getting caught."
    "You are a strange creature, red ridding hood, but I'm glad that you're mine. How did you not see what I did to Mayella?"
    "When your tattoo changed, everyone, including me, was confused as to what it was. Phylana told me about it and about the book you wrote that only she and you can consult. Then,"
    "Whoa," he cut me. "Rewind to the part where I wrote the book. How do you know about that? Phylana has no idea that I'm the author of this book."
    "I was getting there. I had flashbacks, if I can call them that. I saw you writing it."
    "You saw my past? That's amazing, Lyra," he laughed, spinning me around.
    "Don't get too excited, Rilos. It means you'll see mine eventually and it is far from pretty."
    He put me down and lifted my head.
    "I don't care how ugly your past is. I will love you no matter what."
    "You're a strange creature as well, big bad wolf, but as long as you are my strange creature, I don't care."
    "I would kiss you if people hadn't started to come back in."
    "Is that the only thing stopping you? It won't stop me," I smiled, lacing my arms around his neck and firmly planting my lips on his.
    "Feeling possessive, Lyra?" he breathed between two kisses.
    "With you? Always."