Chapter 55: Hurt and Closure

Hey guys! This chapter is a bit longer than usual, but I think you'll still like it. Have fun reading it. Love you all and don't forget to vote and comment <3 :)

"Your nanny was Norel's mother? No wonder you were more scared of him than other men. You feel guilty because you think that it's your fault he grew up without a mother."
"It was my fault."
"Who killed her?"
"Me."
"Lyra..."
"Dark-Soul had told me not to talk about it and I didn't listen."
"You were three years old."
"You saved werewolves when you were five."
"I was raised in a loving environment, had access to my powers and wasn't systematically punished for having emotions. You had the complete opposite of that. I'm not surprised that you talked about it to the first person who was nice to you. Cyrian probably had a transmitter inside your necklace so he could listen to you."
"If that's the case, I'm impressed that I didn't get beaten more often considering the impressive number of times I insulted and fought his son."
"I think that, although it was a constant pain in the neck for him, he liked your attitude. Cyrian always preferred strong-minded people. If you didn't have a soul-mate, he would have encouraged it and wouldn't have treated you like he did."
"I'd rather have endured what I went through and have you as my soul-mate than not having one and marrying Sadist."
"I would have stole your heart before you married him."
"I bet you would have," I chuckled.
"When do you want to meet Norel and his father by the way?"
"You don't have anything after supper, right?"
"Not since you came into my life."
"Am I preventing you from doing things you were doing before by wanting to spend my evenings with you?" I asked, concerned.
"Not at all," he laughed. "It's the moment I look forward to the most in my day. Beside, it was mostly late reunions, exploring the world and hunting."
"We can ask them to come after supper then."
"Sure. Do you want to do it?"
"How?"
"Well, you can either write them a letter and teleport it to them or you can talk to Norel telepathically. Why don't you do it now so I can help you if you need?"
"Isn't he a tad far away?"
He chuckled.
"You could interact with someone at the other end of the world if you wanted to. Didn't I talked to you when you were at Death's door?"
I stuck out my tongue at him.
"Don't be mean. I'll try it."
I projected my mind towards Norel. When I found his barriers, I knocked.

****
"Yes? Who is it?"
"Norel? It's Lyra."
"Hi, Lyra."
"Do you think you could come to the castle this evening with your father? I want to talk to you both about some things."
"Sure, we'll be there."
"Thank you."
****

"See, it wasn't hard."
"You had hundreds of years to practice. I didn't."
"You still succeeded on your first try."
"Of course, I'm amazing after all."
"Modesty isn't your forte, is it?"
"With people constantly bringing me down, either I ended up with a very low self-esteem or I pushed myself up. I chose the latter."
"That's great and sad at the same time. Oh, I have to go if I don't want to be late. I'll be back for supper, sweetheart," he said, kissing my lips.
He opened the door and Felia, Kylanne and Sanaelle were standing there.
"Can we come in, Lyra?" asked Felia.
"When have I not allowed you to?"
"Never, but it's more polite to ask anyway," Kylanne smiled.
"I'll see you later, Lyra."
"Bye Rilos."
He closed the door behind the girls. We all went outside and sat in the garden.
"So, I heard you had an eventful morning," said Sanaelle.
"How come you know everything?" questioned Felia.
"I heard Satie pestering against the King for disappearing from a reunion. My guess is that Lyra was in some kind of danger and he went to her."
"I went training in an abandoned barn with Kisa and Jaline, two guards. I heard something and spotted someone's heartbeat. I asked the guards to come check it and Jaline contacted Rilos, who appeared in front of me. The guards apprehended him and Rilos healed him after seeing that he just came there to train as well."
"Poor guy, I bet he didn't expect his morning to go that way."
"He was taking a break from farming and he got an angry Rilos at his neck."
"A farmer? Did you get his name?"
"Norel. Why?"
"I know him!" said Felia, excitedly.
"You know every farmer in the region, Felia. Your parents are farmers."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Oh the stars, I just realized something."
"What?"
"When he was younger, he used to talk about someone. He was telling people about this little redheaded girl who could change into a white wolf. We thought it was just a story his mother used to tell him. She had died tragically earlier and we thought that he felt close to her by telling that story. He was talking about you, wasn't he, Lyra?"
"Yeah. She was my nanny. Norel used to come and play with me. He was the only child who wasn't scared of me."
"You must have felt very lonely when he left."
"I was just happy that he was alive."
"She could have killed him and then killed herself. Yrebor was devastated by her death. Imagine how bad it would have been if she had taken Norel with her," said Felia.
"She didn't kill herself. Dark-Soul killed her. In front of me."
"Wait, that was fifteen years ago. How old were you? Three?"
I nodded.
"Maybe we should go back in time to give you a normal childhood."
"Why don't we focus our energy to make all the years I'll spend with you the best I could ever have?"
"Can you stop being so mature? It's making me look really bad," laughed Felia.
"I like you the way you are, Felia. I don't want you to change," I smiled, ruffling her hair.
"And I don't want another Queen. You're the best," she added, hugging me.
"Lyra?"
"Yes, Sanaelle?"
"Could I design and make your dress for the winter ball?"
"Can I give you my answer tomorrow? I want to see how I react to men I have never seen first. If I do well, then I should be able to attend and you could make my dress."
"No problem at all, Lyra. Who are you meeting tonight?"
"Norel and his father. I want them to know the truth about my nanny."
"Don't you already know them?"
I shook my head.
"I've seen Norel but I've never met his father."
"Not even when you were young?"
"I wasn't allowed outside my room until I was five."
"Harsh. Did you at least have windows?"
"One, really high up. I broke my skull several times trying to reach it by climbing the wall. Dark-Soul thought I would end up killing myself accidentally so he let me out under strict guide lines, which I followed."
"If you do well tonight, maybe you could come to my coming-of-age," said Kylanne.
"Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world. Even if it doesn't go well, I'll find a way to come. It'll be in the Southern kingdom, right? We could go visit afterwards."
"That would be great!" 
We talked about activities we could do in Kylanne's hometown until Rilos arrived for supper. The girls left, wishing me good luck for the meeting. I thanked them and ate with Rilos in the garden. When we were done, we went back inside and I sat on the couch. Rilos placed himself behind me and put his hands on my shoulders.
"I'm scared. What if they are mad at me?"
"Then they'll be mad at you. You can't make everyone happy, Lyra. I don't believe they will be angry, though. I think you will bring them the closure they've been looking for. You'll do great, sweetheart. I'll be here if you need me."
He kissed the top of my head.
"They're here, aren't they?"
"You're getting good at this. Do you want me to let them in?"
I placed one of my hand on top of his.
"Yes."
The door opened. Norel and his father came in, bowing. Rilos closed the door behind them. My heart was pounding loudly in my ears.
"You can get up, but, please, stay there for the moment," I said.
"Of course, your Majesty. Take your time."
Rilos slowly stroke my neck with his thumbs until my heart got back to a normal beat.
"You can come sit down now."
"Good job, Lyra. You calmed down in less than an hour."
"How long did it take me?"
"40 minutes."
"I am so sorry that you had to stand for so long."
"Don't worry about it, your Majesty. Facing a fear as strong as the one within you must be very difficult. However, you don't let it control you so I don't mind waiting until you are ready."
"Thank you, Yrebor. You must be wondering why I asked you to come. I was under your late wife's supervision when she passed away. She was my nanny and was the best I ever had. She was very nice and would bring me food. Sometimes, she would take Norel along so I could play with someone around my age. One day, she asked me why I was locked up like this and I told her what I knew at that time. I told her that I had extraordinary powers and a soul-mate. Cyrian appeared when I said that and broke her neck. He brought us both in jail and torture me for what seemed to be a long time. Then, he decapitated her in front of me. She didn't kill herself. Cyrian killed her. I'm sorry."
They stayed there, immobile. A tear escaped from Yrebor's eye.
"I knew it. I knew she wouldn't kill herself."
"So it's your fault. I can't stay in the same room as you," shouted Norel, getting up.
"Norel..."
"I don't want to hear your excuses, Lyra. If you had kept your mouth shut, she would be alive."
"Norel, calm down."
"I won't, father."
Rilos' grip on my shoulder became loose. I knew he was about to jump between Norel and I to protect me. I caught his wrist.
"It's fine, Rilos. If he wants to hit me, I'll let him."
"I won't let him. Norel, either you calm down on your own or I will make you."
"Shut up! You don't know anything!"
"Lyra and I were both born with the blood of our parents on our hands. I can tell you that we know just as much, if not more, about how you feel. Go take a walk, Norel," he said with his Alpha voice.
Norel had no choice but to obey this direct order. He went out the room, slamming the door behind him.
"You should have let him express his anger, Rilos."
"He did and was thinking very hard about hurting you. I don't care how hurt he is, protecting you is more important to me than anything else."
"I know."
"Sorry about him, your Majesties. He adored his mother. His anger will die down eventually and he'll come back to apologize."
"I'm sorry about everything, Yrebor."
"It wasn't your fault. Cyrian is the one I am angry at. He is the one Norel should blame."
"I saved his life, you know."
"What do you mean, Lyra?" asked Rilos.
"Norel. I saved his life. Dark-Soul wanted to kill him. I begged him and promised that I would do everything he told me if he didn't kill him. He told me that he would if I could endure another seance of torture without letting one scream out. I bit my arm to the bone but I made it."
"Thank you, my Queen. For saving Norel's life and for giving me the truth about my wife."
"You're welcome."
Yrebor went out the door after bowing to us once more.
"To the bone?"
"He was hitting very hard and I was still wounded from the last session."
"Come here," he said, hugging me. "You never had it easy, did you?"
"It could have been worse. I could have screamed. I would have never forgiven myself."
"Why don't I show you something you might like?"
He took my hand and tilted his head. I smiled and nodded. We disappeared.