Chapter 58: Demonstration, Learning and Story Time

Hey guys! Yesterday I went shooting some photos with my friend for the new cover and I can't wait to finish it so you can see it. They are gorgeous. I think. Anyway, here's the new chapter. Hope you have fun reading it :) Don't forget to vote and comment, it makes me so happy to see your support. Also, we reached over 10k views!!! I love you all so much <3

"Told you she was amazing," Rilos beamed.
"Rilos, you were proud of me when I got up this morning despite what we did yesterday."
What's resonated from all around the room. Rilos pinched his nose and sighed loudly.
"Lyra, please expand on that before I get all sorts of comments from every single one of them."
"What? Why? We were only training... oh. I get it. We weren't... It wasn't like that."
"Rilos doesn't seem to agree," smirked Ylna.
"Ylna, you are so lucky that I don't want to hurt your soul-mate because you would get punched so hard right now. Just because you can hear my thoughts, doesn't mean you have to."
"I'm just saying what the others are thinking."
Rilos stared at the other Alphas with an accusing look. They all turned their heads, smiling and whistling.
"Really? I wonder why I keep letting us share our thoughts."
"You share your thoughts with them?"
"Rilos, don't you tell her anything? You poor thing, come give aunt Zynelle a hug and I'll tell you everything."
I ran into her arms, jokingly pouting at Rilos. He growled at her until she let me go.
"Is it just me or is he getting more and more territorial towards you, Lyra?" asked Ylna. "He wasn't nearly as possessive when I first met you."
"I think the Henina incident has made him a bit over-protective, which is fine as long as he doesn't lock me up in a tower or something."
"That's a great idea, sweetheart."
"Don't you even think about it."
"Why don't we all sit down so we can educate Lyra some more?"
"Good plan, Sivir. Why is the youngest one to most mature?" sighed Myrie.
"With three immature ones, four including Rilos, we need to be at least as much to counter-balance," smiled Prior sitting down.
"I'm not immature. What are you talking about?"
"You are mature, but only when Lyra is out of the equation."
"Which is almost never nowadays. Welcome to the immature club, Riri," said Levian.
"Don't call me Riri, Vivianne."
"Point proven. Now that we're all seated, who wants to explain how we work to Lyra?"
"Me! Me!" shouted Ylna. "So as you know there is four Alphas, each controlling one element and living in one of the four territories. Our job is to guide and help the habitants of our land. We're basically supervisors. We are all connected because it's easier to communicate if we need help with natural disasters or simply when we aren't sure of how to solve a conflict."
"Natural disasters?"
"Yeah, like hurricanes or wild fires. At least once a month, we have a reunion with everyone to talk about how are things going in each of our respective territories. Normally, we go to a different castle every month, but Rilos wanted to stay close to you so it's been here for the past months."
"Sorry."
"Who said it was a bad thing? Balio makes incredible meals, so it's always fun to stay here. And I get to see my daughter more. Will you come to her coming-of-age in two weeks by the way?"
"We'll see how much male presence I can take first."
"You're doing very well considering the amount of men there is in the room."
"And you did pretty good yesterday too. You hadn't even practice with them."
"Practice?" asked Prior.
"I had shown her your faces before letting her meet you so she could get used to you. We didn't do it yesterday when we met Yrebor, the bakery down the street's owner, and his son. I believe she'll be ready. I'll be there with her anyway."
"Look at that, Rilos is becoming a knight in a shiny armour just for you," chuckled Ylna.
"He always was my knight in shinning armour," I smiled taking his hand.
He smiled at me softly and turned to the others.
"Do we have anything else we need to discuss?"
"There was something," began Sivir. "Wait, a fire just started in the field of one of my farmers. I have to go get it under control."
"I'll come with you," said Ylna, getting up.
"I'll teleport you there. Tell me when everything is fine and I'll bring you back."
They both disappeared, but Myrie was still here.
"Aren't you hurting being that far away from her?" I frowned.
"Not at all. Once your link is totally in place after the ceremony, being away from each other doesn't hurt anymore."
She yelped and shook her arm, a large burn forming on it.
"Can't that woman be more careful? Stars. As you can see, we share physical pain instead."
I walked to her, took her arm in my hands and healed the burn.
"There you go."
"Thank you, Lyra. Ylna was utterly confused as to how it healed so fast until I told her. She kept looking at her arm, dumbfounded. It was hilarious. They are ready to come back, Rilos."
They reappeared, smelling like smoke.
"Sorry about that."
"No problem, Sivir. Are you alright?" I asked, worried.
"Fire can't hurt those who control it, Lyra, but thank you for asking."
"And thank you for healing Myrie, and me by extension."
"You're welcome, Ylna," I said, going back to my seat. "What do you mean, you don't get hurt by fire if you control it?"
"We're not sure how it works. I can't get hurt by fire, Ylna and Myrie by water, Prior and Levian by earth and plants and Zynelle by air."
I turned to Zynelle.
"Air can hurt people?"
"Anyone up for a demonstration?" she smiled.
Everyone but Rilos and I hid under the table.
"That powerful?"
"Here, do it on that mannequin," said Rilos, making one appear.
There was a small breeze and the head of the mannequin fell with a thump.
"Air is the scariest element there is, Lyra. You're dead and you don't even know what hit you. This is why the Alpha that controls air is always the most zen and peaceful dominant I can find. Doesn't mean they don't have authority. It's the contrast between their powers and their attitude that makes them the best leaders."
"Are you saying that we are not as good as leaders because our elements are less scary?" questioned Prior, getting out from under the table.
"No, of course not. I'm just saying that if she was scary, she wouldn't be a good leader because the only thing she would inspire to her pack would be fear. You can't rule on fear alone. You need to inspire respect with just a touch of fear. You're already covered anyway, Prior. An Alpha with a soul-mate is as scary as it can get. Everyone knows we would do anything for them, including killing."
Every pair of eyes went on Myrie.
"They deserved it," she grumbled.
"No one is saying that they didn't, sis," said Levian.
"What happened?" I asked.
"I was 10 years old and Ylna was 14. We had known we were soul-mates since I was born. The Southern Alpha at that time was getting sicker and sicker and Rilos was searching for his replacement. Everyone thought that his son would get the position, but he chose Ylna instead."
"Why?"
"I felt that something was wrong with him. I had a bad feeling and decided that it would be better if someone more stable took the position. Ylna, although she was, and still is, a bit childish, was the best candidate. I had planned to train her here when she disappeared."
"Our link wasn't established completely yet and, one night, I woke up screaming in pain. It was the first time I had experienced the separation pain and it was horrible. Rilos appeared and took it on himself. He calmed me down, asked me to search for the link and teleported me to where Ylna was. We thought she had forgotten the maximal distance between soul-mates, so Rilos didn't come with me, but she had been kidnapped by the son's supporters. When I got there, I saw Ylna tied up to a wall and covered in blood. I don't remember what happened after that but I regain consciousness with Rilos and Ylna holding me back as I was about to kill the son. I had transformed for the first time and killed all of his supporters. Rilos invoked the Dula on him, since we were too young to do it ourselves, and killed him. He had lost the rest of his supporters by kidnapping and torturing a child anyway. Rilos trained us to defend ourselves after that and we never had any problems ever since."
"I'm sorry this happened to you."
"It could have been worse. She could have not found me and we would have both died."
"So you found out Myrie was your soul-mate when you were four?" I asked, trying to change to a happier subject.
"Yes. Myrie and Levian are twins. They were born with their soul-mate tattoo since Prior and I were already born. Their parents thought they were each other's soul-mate and were freaking out. I was in the same hospital, visiting my grand-mother, and, like I was possessed by something, I walked to Myrie's room, got passed the nurses and stopped by her mother's bed. I dragged a chair, climbed on it and took Myrie from her arms. I looked her mother dead in the eyes and said: "Mine." Rilos, who had brought Prior, was laughing so hard. I still do it every time we go see her mother."
"How old were you, Prior, when you found Levian?"
"I was fourteen and convinced that I was straight. I was training here in the castle at the time with Rilos supervising me. My powers over earth had started to manifest earlier that year and I was having some difficulties controlling them. My mother was the Western Alpha and I inherited her powers. I felt this horrible pain in my heart. Rilos noticed it and teleported us to the hospital where the twins had just been born. I saw a little girl possessively holding a baby and a woman lying in bed with another one. The other baby looked at me and held out its arms towards me. I took it and, at that moment, I realized that I didn't care whether the baby was a boy or a girl. I would love and cherish it until my last breath."