Chapter 54: Piece of the Past

Hey guys! Here's the new chapter :) I feel that the more I write, the more time it's going to take to finish the story because I keep having ideas and want to put them in :P Hopefully, you won't hate me too much for taking longer to actually end the story. I thought I would finish it this summer, but that might end up not being the case. Anyway, have fun reading and don't forget to vote and comment :D Love you all <3

I had hoped that I would never have to see this face again.
"Lyra, is everything alright?"
"His name is Norel. I knew him at one point."
"Did he hurt you?" Rilos growled.
"No. It's the other way around, actually. Although, I'm not sure that he knows that. I don't think he's a bad guy. Go heal and question him. I'll stay away for now."
He looked at me for a long time before sighing.
"Jaline, come here and stay beside Lyra."
"Yes, your Majesty."
They exchanged places and Rilos crouched next to Norel.
"What did you throw on his wrist?"
"It's a magical trap. It cancels the wearer's powers. Useful when you have to catch someone and you don't know their abilities. I can give one to you if you want. They aren't that hard to make."
"You made it?"
"Yes, I can see and create magical traps."
"Awesome."
She laughed.
"With your powers, you can probably do it too, your Majesty. You just didn't learn how yet. I could show you one day."
"I'd like that. You can come by my room when you have free time. I personally have a lot of that. And with what just happened, I think that I might not be allowed out of my room again."
"Don't say that, my Queen. I bet that if you look at the King with sad eyes, he'll give in."
"Where we you all my life?"
"The other side of the door."
We laughed and looked at the others. Rilos was helping Norel up.
"Sorry about your neck, Norel. We thought you were someone dangerous."
"It's fine, my King. You didn't know that I was just here to train and I didn't know that this old centre was used by other people. I thought everyone used the one at the castle."
"It was the case until this morning."
Rilos turned towards me.
"I'll find a hole in the training centre's schedule at the castle. It'll safer for you and for my heart. Nobody uses it during dinner so I'll close it during that time and you'll be able to use it. Ready to go back, Lyra?"
Hearing my name, Norel walked to me.
"Lyra? From the Northern kingdom? It's been so long. Do you remember me?"
I shrieked and hid behind Jaline. Rilos jumped between us and grabbed Norel by the throat, growling.
"If you even think of taking one more step towards my soul-mate, I will break the neck I just healed without any hesitation."
Norel raised his hands and inclined his neck in an appeasing gesture.
"I apologize, my King. I didn't know she was your soul-mate. We were childhood friends and I hadn't seen her since my father moved out of the castle."
"Sorry, Norel, but I think it would be better for you to stay away from me for now."
"Why is that, Lyra? I know that soul-mates can be very jealous, but still."
"That's not the reason. I'm scared of men and you kind of are a man."
I'm actually more scared of you than other men. Rilos gave me an odd look, but didn't press further.
"Why?"
"How cut off of the rest of the population are you?"
"Very."
"That explains a lot. Remember the Alpha's son?"
"Mikyan? I never liked him. So arrogant and rotten on the inside at three years old."
"He raped and tortured me for three months."
"WHAT? Where is he? I'm going to beat him up."
"You really think I did nothing about it? He's in jail, awaiting trial," said Rilos.
"I appreciate the gesture, Norel. Rilos, would you let him go?"
"Only if he swears to stay where he is."
"I promise."
He slowly opened his fingers, to test the truth of Norel's words. Since he didn't move, Rilos came and placed himself beside me. I took his hand, clinging to his arm. I couldn't look at Norel's face. Not after what I had done to him.
"How's your father, Norel?"
"Good, he remarried and has a bakery downtown. I have a farm and grow the ingredients that he needs. That's why I'm a bit behind news. How are you doing?"
"Rilos found me in the Northern jails. He got me out and I'm doing better. I even made some friends."
"That's great! Well, I have to go back to my farm. I'll see you at the winter ball if you aren't scared of men anymore."
"Actually, I think it would be best if we saw each other sooner. There's some things I have to talk to you about. Bring your father along. I'll send you an invitation or something."
He bowed.
"It was a pleasure meeting you, my King. You as well, Lyra."
He ran off in the forest.
"Kisa, Jaline, great job on the capture. That was perfect."
"It wasn't. We didn't detect him," said Kisa.
"He can hide his presence. That's his power. I didn't expect you to sense him. You weren't trained for that. You, however, used the right techniques in regard to apprehending him and that's what I expected from you."
"How did the Queen find him if he was using his powers?" asked Jaline.
Rilos raised an eyebrow at me.
"I heard something falling. It could have been a twig, but I had this nagging feeling that it was something else. I searched for heartbeats and saw him."
"What else did you see?" Rilos said, a smile on his face.
"Three bats over our heads."
"You missed the mouse hiding in the corner."
"That's not fair. It was behind Norel and I was more preoccupied by him than by finding every animal in the room."
"You're making excuses."
"I am not."
He chuckled.
"Come on, let's go back. Kisa, I think you don't appreciate teleportation. You can run back if you desire.
"Thank you, your Majesty. It's much appreciated."
"I'll accompany her, my King, if you don't mind."
"Not at all."
"Thank you for coming with me, girls."
"You're welcome, your Majesty."
They bowed and silently ran back to the castle. Rilos squeezed my hand.
"Do you want to go back or do you want to talk first?"
"Let's go back. I don't want to run the risk of being interrupted."
We appeared in our room and Satie was already there, her foot stomping on the ground.
"You disappeared from a reunion without giving any explanations. I come here and you and Lyra are nowhere to be found. Then you reappear hand in hand like nothing happened? You are going down to apologize and you tell me what you were doing out of your room."
"Lyra went to train outside, with my permission and some guards, and someone got in. Jaline told me and I went there because Lyra could have been in danger. She wasn't so I brought her back. She'll train in the training centre at a predetermined hour during which I will close so no one else enters. I'll go apologize now. Lyra, do you want someone to keep you company?"
"No, I'll wait for you to come back for dinner."
"Alright."
He gave me a peck on the lips and went out the door with Satie. Since my warm-up was already done, I decided to teleport the weights from the barn and train here. I also brought a punching bag and hit it until my arms and legs gave out. I was lying on the floor when Rilos came back for dinner.
"Hi, sweetheart. You trained hard?"
"Yeah, I can't feel my body anymore," I laughed.
"Why don't you go take a bath while I clean this up?"
"Okay."
I appeared in the bathtub and undressed. I filled it with water and changed its temperature until it was steamy. I sank under the water and thought of something.
"Rilos?"
"Yes, Lyra?"
"Do you think I can breathe under water?"
He groaned.
"Do you have to deliberately put yourself in dangerous situations? You can always try. It's not like you can die from drowning anyway. Just be careful, alright?"
"Yes, your Majesty."
"If I had somewhat of an influence on you, I would order you not to do it."
I tried different methods going from creating an air bubble around my head to making the water change into oxygen when it entered my nose. I didn't drown once. I got out of the bath, satisfied. I dried myself and dressed up. I got out and Rilos was sitting at the table with plates filled with food before him. I took place in front of him, quickly gobbling up the meal.
"How did your experiment go?"
"Didn't even drown."
"Obviously, but well done. It could be useful."
"Did they accept your apologies?"
"Of course. I went to rescue my soul-mate and that's the most important thing I can do, right?"
"Yeah, because you were totally the one who saved me and not Kisa and Jaline."
"I healed his neck."
"Something I could have easily done."
"You couldn't even approach him. Why were you more scared of him than other men by the way?"
"You heard me?"
"No, your fear was more intense. Did he hurt you and you didn't want to tell me in front of him?"
"I swear that it's not the case. Like I said, I was the one who hurt him. Remember the nanny I got killed?"
"You didn't kill her. You were three years old. You didn't know that this would happen and Cyrian was the one who killed her, not you."
"I talked about something I wasn't supposed to and he killed her for it. I feel responsible. That nanny was Norel's mother."