Chapter 21: Colouring in Our Own Way

This chapter is a bit longer to compensate the fact that I probably won't post another one until Friday. I have three exams this week, so I have to study a lot. Yeah, college :) Thank you all for being so supportive of the book! Love you all, don't forget to vote and comment :)

The evening meal was eaten and Nerika had gone back home.
****
"Rilos, can you sit down? I want to speak to you about something."
"Sure, Lyra. What is it?"
I took a deep breath.
"I want to try something. I want you to transform into a human, in the same room as me. I'll have my eyes closed but I'll know you're there. I just want to see if I can do it."
"Lyra, are you sure you want to do this?"
"Yes. I want to move forward, to one day be able to touch you without getting scared."
"Okay. I'll stand in the furthest corner and change."
He walked to the corner and turned to face me.
"Close your eyes."
Darkness. My heart was pumping fast. Don't be scared, don't be scared. The air shifted in the room.
"I'm human now. Do you want me to do something or just stand there?"
"Would you sing for me, out loud?"
****

He started singing. I didn't know the song, but I didn't care. I was concentrating on my breathing, trying not to freak out. I know who he is. He won't hurt me, ever. He loves me, everything's fine. In. Out. In. Out. Okay. Can you come slowly closer? I heard him take a step, seeing that I wasn't scared, he took another one. When he was at approximately five feet, my breathing hitched. My heart was beating hard in my ears.
"I think I'm close enough for now."
Hearing his voice so close was different. A good kind of different. I felt him sit down.
"Can I talk to you or do you want me to do it telepathically?"
Like that is fine. He sighed with, I think, happiness.
"I know that you are a bit scared for now, but what you just did, those steps you let me take, was the bravest thing you've done so far. I have already told you this countless times, but I want to tell you with my real voice. I love you. I have waited for you for so long and you are a thousand times better than what I was imagining. Seeing you every day makes me so happy and I don't think I'll be able to go back to not seeing you every time I wake up."
A few tears escaped from my eyes. Rilos chuckled.
"Don't cry, sweetheart. I can't get those tears for you."
Don't be a hypocrite, I can hear you crying as well.
"Maybe I am. Maybe your hearing is impaired by the sound of your heart."
It is not, it has diminished since you've started talking.
"I know, I can hear it. I made you relax a bit by saying that, though."
You didn't. I calmed myself on my own. I stuck out my tongue. He laughed.
"Don't stick your tongue out, I might steal it."
I put it back in my mouth. You can't steal it, I could need it to talk one day.
"You're right. I do want to know what your voice sounds like eventually. Fine, you can keep it for now."
Do you want to slide closer?
"Do YOU want me to slide closer?"
I think so. He came closer, still sitting. He held his breath. He was getting really close, but I was strangely okay with it. I started to feel heat radiating from him. I think you should stop now and don't touch me. I'm definitely not ready for that.
"I know."
I jumped a bit. He was closer than I expected and his voice was resonating in my ears.
"Are you cold, Lyra?"
No, you're the one who's hot.
"Why, thank you."
Don't be conceited, I was talking about your body temperature.
"I knew that."
Yeah, right. I yawned. What time is it?
"It's nearly 11pm."
No way.
"Yes, way. It took you about 2 hours to calm down from me changing to human and another hour when I came to sit down closer."
I took that long? I didn't feel the time pass.
"You actually took less time than I thought you would. How about going to bed now?"
I'll do that. I laid down on the floor. I was unable to go further.
"Lyra, this is not the bed. It's the floor."
I don't care. I fell asleep.
I woke up. I really was choosing great moments to fall asleep. I looked beside me and Rilos was sleeping in fetal position. He had changed back to a wolf when I was asleep. His lids moved and opened. He yawned and got up. He licked my face and got out of bed.