Chapter 61: Going From Surprises to Surprises

Hey guys! Long chapter again :) Lots of things happening. I'm so glad that you liked the last chapter because it was really, really hard to write. Thank you for your support. I love you all so much <3 Have fun reading this chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment :)

Two weeks. Fourteen days. That's how long it took for the drug to get out of my system.  Every time it would start to manifest, Rilos would ask me what I wanted to do. Needless to say that we made love countless time during that period. The only positive aspect, other than making love with Rilos, was that I would get longer break between each episode, giving me more time to eat, sleep and shower. After twelve hours of calm, I decided that I was cured. Rilos had been sleeping for the past nine hours in our bed, which we had changed back from two single beds to a King size one. Poor Rilos, I had positively drained him of his energy. I gently stroke his hair, moving them away from his face. His eyes fluttered open and settled on me, a smile stretching on his face.
"Hey, sweetheart. Is everything alright? Is the drug acting up?" he asked in a sleepy voice.
"No, Elun. It's been twelve hours. I think it's finally over. You can go back to sleep."
I had used the ancient word for "soul-mate". It was only fair that he had a nickname as well. It took me some time to find the right one, but Elun fitted him perfectly.
"Elun, uh? I can definitely get used to you calling me that." he said, kissing my stomach.
"Come on, let's get dressed, eat and get out of this room. We've been here long enough and I bet that you have to talk to a lot of people."
"I don't mind you being naked," he grinned, nipping where he had just kissed me.
"I know you don't, but I think you will if I go out like that and others see me." I laughed.
"You're right."
He made a dress appear on me and a shirt and pants on him.
"Let's eat first and then you can come with me to talk to Vriany, Talia, Satie and the other Alphas."
He got up and sat at the table. I took place in front of him, digging into the cereal bowl. Once we were done, he took my hand and guided me to the door.
"Aren't we going to appear there directly?"
"Well, you did very good two weeks ago and the conference room isn't that far away from our room. I can teleport us if you prefer."
"No. I can do it. You'll be with me if something happens."
"That didn't help much two weeks ago."
I could hear the remorse in his voice.
"Hey." I said, turning his chin towards me. "It was entirely my fault. I could have made that syringe disappear, but I'm so not used to using my powers to defend myself that I took her down physically instead. Don't blame yourself for my actions."
"This," he kissed me, "is why I love you."
"You don't have a choice, I'm your soul-mate."
"You always have a choice."
"Ever heard of a soul-mate who didn't want to be with their other half?"
"No. Only an incredibly stupid person would decide not to be with someone who was made for them and I am very, very smart."
"My, don't you have a high opinion of yourself. Why don't you show me the way, O highly intelligent man?"
He smiled and took my hand, intertwining his fingers with mine. I reached for the door knob, opened the door and got out on my own feet for the first time. As soon as I stepped out, I heard screeches coming from my left. I turned towards the sound just in time to be tackled by the girls.
"LYRA!" they all screamed at the same time.
Luckily for me, Rilos and I both have great reflexes and that prevented me from falling backwards.
"Hey girls," I smiled. "It's been a while."
"It's been two weeks, Lyra. We missed you so much. What happened?"
"Did you not tell anyone what was happening to me, Rilos?"
"No. I had my hands full for some reason."
"Fair enough. There was a drug in the syringe and the effects it had on me were not pleasant, to say the least. It finally got out of my system this morning. Sorry you had to kill someone for me, Kylanne."
"Lyra, you do know that as your ladies-in-waiting we are trained to defend and kill for you, right? I was completely prepared for this, especially as a future Alpha."
I glanced at Felia and Sanaelle. Every werewolf is lethal, but they didn't look dangerous at all.
"Sweetheart, Felia's telekinesis is so powerful that she can separate vertebrae from one another if she feels like it and I've never seen some manipulate daggers as well as Sanaelle."
"You have daggers?" I asked, in disbelief.
She grinned cheekily while rolling her sleeves and skirt. Stars, she had a dagger strapped on each arm and two on each leg.
"We've known each other for months and you never once mentioned to me that you carried daggers around. I've seen you in wolf form before. I knew that clothes transformed with you, but I didn't know that weapons were considered clothes."
"Oh, they are a part of me, like my arms and legs. I was born with them."
"What?"
"Every women in her family are like that. It's their power. Her grand-mother had katanas, her mother has hook swords and her sister has metal fans. They are really aggressive which is why they all have a hobby they can channel their energy into. Her sister is a talented horticulturist. She takes care of the gardens behind the castle. As you know, her mother is a chef and her grand-mother could spend hours sculpting."
"Well, you learn new things every day. You are always full of surprises."
"That's my name after all."
"Felia..."
"Watch out, Felia. She has teeth now. Speaking of which, you have to show your wolf to me when I come back from this meeting, Kylanne."
"Promise. Go see my mom before she gets mad at you for being late."
"She'd never be mad at Lyra, but, since she can be mad at me, it's better that we don't stall too much. I have a few things I want to discuss with you, Kylanne, once we finish this so don't go far."
"Understood, my King."
"See you soon, girls."
We followed the hall and went down a flight of stairs. The lower we would go, the more people I could hear. Rilos stopped a step lower than me and looked me in the eyes.
"Are you okay? Do you want to stop for a moment?"
"Thank you for your concern, Elun, but I'll be fine." I said, kissing his nose.
"Your happiness is, and will always be, my priority." he replied, brushing his lips on mine.
We finished going down the stairs, hand in hand. At the bottom of the stairs, there was a long corridor filled with people roaming around, their heads lowered. In a second, the atmosphere shifted from sadness to joy. Everyone turned towards us and bowed. They all had a smile on their faces and some shed a few tears. I would have to ask Rilos about their reaction later.
"Hello everyone. Sorry about the last two weeks. My soul-mate was attacked and I had to stay beside her because of the nature of the aggression. Good job on keeping the castle running smoothly despite my absence. I'll do a few rounds later to see every single one of you and see how you are doing. Maybe the wonderful lady by my side will accompany me. Guys, this is Lyra, my soul-mate. I know that you have all seen her portrait in the hallway, but she is so much better in person."
I barely had time to blush that they all swarmed over to me, presenting themselves and shaking my hand. My head was starting to spin when I felt Rilos getting more and more agitated as more people came around me. I had to defuse the situation before he blew up. I raised my hands.
"Everyone, thank you for your kind words, but we have a meeting to attend and making the other Alphas wait is not the wisest thing to do. I will come with Rilos during his rounds so I can properly meet you all. I can't wait to learn more about you. Please continue your great work."
They moved out of the way and Rilos gently tugged on my hand to make me follow him. We entered some kind of antechamber and he closed the door behind us.
"So you have questions you want to ask me?"
"How do you know?"
"Our bond is getting stronger. You felt my anger at them being way too close to you and calmed them, and me, down. Marvellous job on that, by the way. You used exactly the right words."
"I didn't want you to get mad at them because they were excited to see me for the first time. How come they were all sad, and then, when they saw you, they became happy?"
"In a pack, you have an Alpha, that's me, his or her significant other, that's you, a second, Vriany, dominants, like Satie and Talia, and betas and omegas, the people you just met. The dynamic of the pack is directly linked to the Alpha. If the Alpha is aggressive, the whole pack will be aggressive. If the Alpha decides to single out an individual, the whole pack will reject that person. If the Alpha shuts him or herself from the rest of their pack, like I just did, they are sad and lost because they lose the one they count on. The lower you go in the structure, the more affected by the Alpha's behaviour they are. This is why Vriany is seldom affected by how I feel. He needs to be able to lead when I am not able to."
"That explains more than I thought it would."
I thought about something for an instant.
"When I was nine years old, the entire staff of the Northern castle suddenly became very sad, but not me. I wasn't sad at all."
"There is two reasons for this. One, as I said to you before, we are not really part of the structure. If I wasn't considered the Alpha, Vriany would be and, no matter how hard he would try to make me obey, even with his Alpha voice, I never would. Same goes with you. I bet Cyrian used his Alpha voice on you and you didn't feel the need to obey at all. You obeyed because you didn't want to get beaten, not because you were forced to do as told by some kind of instinct. Two, you were never part of his pack."
"WHAT?"
I knew my life was a lie, but that took the cake.
"Three ways to be part of a pack: You accept to be part of it, you are defeated in combat by the Alpha or he or she is your parents' Alpha. You didn't want to be under Cyrian's control and he never defeated you in combat because he never fought you."
"Wait. What about my parents? I was born in the Northern kingdom."
"Yes. Born. That's the word. You were born in the Northern kingdom, but your parents were Prior's werewolves. They were visiting when your mother felt the contraction and gave birth. Technically, you're a Western wolf."
I plumped down on a bench. Talk about pulling the rug from under someone's feet.
"Can you imagine how different my life would have been if my parents had stayed in the Western kingdom?"
"Yes, but you wouldn't have stayed there very long." he said, kneeling in front of me.
"Why?"
"Because I would have found you and brought you back here."
I chuckled.
"Guess that would make me a Neutral wolf, then."
"Yeah. You're my wolf and I'll never let you forget it." he smiled, locking our lips together.