Chapter 83: Different Minds

Hey guys! The last chapters have been pretty eventful, no? Well, we aren't done yet! Have fun reading it :) Don't forget to vote and comment! Love you all <3

Thunder clapping loudly. Lightning illuminating the sky. Rain falling hard on my skin, covering up the tears spilled from my eyes. I sat up. Everything was dark. So dark. Serves me right. I caused so much misery; it was only fair for my death to be painful. Another flash. Rocks, only rocks until the horizon. A prostrated form. Long, blond hair. Don't tell me. I ran to it as fast as I could in spite of the sharp stones slicing the soles of my feet. No, no, no. You weren't supposed to die. You were supposed to stay alive and be happy. I tripped on something and fell face first. I extended a trembling hand to touch the lying form.
"Don't touch me!" growled Rilos. "You had promised. You swore to me that you wouldn't try to kill yourself again, but here we are. Without Nerika's and Hyphas' quick intervention you would have succeeded. I thought you were getting better. I thought you had found a reason to live, that you loved me at least enough not to die."
"HOW DARE YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT, YOU LIAR?" I screamed, forcefully turning him on his back. "You were the one who said that you would always be there for me!" I cried, pounding his chest with my fists. "You said that no matter what happened you would stay by my side! You left me alone for a whole week! Keeshee doesn't respond to anything and he took this opportunity to come back. He came back and you weren't there to help me! I was alone and scared and you weren't there! You were supposed to protect me from him not throw me right into his jaws!"
"Hey, hey, Lyra. Who are you talking about?" he asked, catching my wrists.
"Who do you think I'm talking about? Sadist, of course! You would have known if you hadn't blocked me out!" I continued screaming. "He kept... He kept saying things and I can't differentiate what's true from what isn't anymore! How can I continue living knowing that what I believe, what I feel, might not be real? How can I believe that you love me when this is how you act when something happens?" I knew this had wounded him; I could see it in his eyes. However, at that moment, I was too enraged to care. "Let go of me! RILOS, LET ME GO!" I shouted, struggling to get out of his grip.
"I won't. I can't. I can't let you go."
"DON'T FUCK WITH ME! Where was this resolve when you left me alone after biting me a week ago? Where were you when I woke up screaming Every. Single. Night? Where were you when Sadist was bashing on me so hard that the only way I found to make him stop was to sever my own neck with a piece of mirror? WHERE WERE YOU THEN?"
"What are you saying? I was there with you. I was with you the whole week. You were the one who shut me out. You wouldn't speak or even look at me. You recoiled every time I approached you. Before we got here, you went to the bathroom and I heard something crash. I asked you if everything was alright; you didn't answer. I felt something hurting my hand and then my throat. I called Nerika, Hyphas, Satie, Talia and Vriany, thinking someone was attacking you, and we found you lying in a pool of your own blood. Then." He scoffed darkly. "You told me that you would have preferred not to be rescued in the first place."
I stopped fighting against him, frowning. He was telling the truth. My anger disappeared, leaving me only with confusion.
"How is that possible? I'm positive that what I went through is real. How can your week and mine be different?" I asked quietly.
"I don't know," he answered, letting go of my wrists and sitting up. He rubbed them lightly, seeing the red imprints of his fingers around them. "Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you. We should go back and ask the others what happened. Maybe they'll know."
What would they say? Stars, I had tried to kill myself. Again. There was no way Rilos would forgive me. I had done it because I thought he had abandoned me and that wasn't real. I had tried to kill myself over a lie.
"Lyra. You were pushed over the edge. I don't blame you. I can't blame you; I've done the same thing before. I don't know why you did it but I'm sure that it wasn't to hurt me and that you thought you had a good reason."
"Weren't we going back?"
"I tried. It seems like we are still in danger on the other side. We'll have to stay here for a little longer. Do you want to tell or show me what Sadist told you?"
"Why? It wasn't real."
"It was for you and I'll bet that what he said reflected your own insecurities. I want to dissipate those. I want you to trust me completely."
"He... He... I can't. I don't want to see him again. Please don't make me! I'll be good! Please! I'll be a good girl, I swear! I'm sorry! I'll be good!" I sobbed. I was pressed against something. A hand going up and down my back, the other on my head. "I'll be good... Don't hurt me..."
"I won't. It's okay, Lyra. I'm with you. I'll protect you. He can't get to you. I'm the one who should apologize. I should have known that you weren't healed."
"He told me that he would escape and he would make me remember what it felt like to have him inside me. He told me that I didn't know what love really felt like and that you were probably sleeping with someone else because I was still broken and you don't like broken. He told me you ran away because you didn't want to be tied to me and if I killed myself, you would be free and would stop suffering," I hiccuped. "I believed him. Why did I believe him? Why couldn't I simply believe in you?"
"Lyra," he looked me in the eyes, "I love you. I never loved anyone else. Not in the past, now or in the future. You are the only one I want. You are not broken and I want to be tied to you. I want our link to be in place because I want you to be able to know at all time how much you mean to me. And I wouldn't be free if you died. If really I didn't die with you, I would join you immediately because I can't conceive my life without you in it." He pulled away and extended his hand to me. "Do you want me to show you what love feels like?"
"What if I don't feel the same way, Rilos? What if what I feel is different?" I panicked.
"Lyra, look at me. It doesn't matter. I know that it might take you years to reach the point where I am and I'm prepared to wait for you. You might never feel the exact same way I do because everyone is different. As long as you love me with your head and with your heart, I don't mind that our love isn't the same. You can take your time to find what love is to you; we have eternity after all."
Without further hesitation, I grasped his hand, letting him take me where he wanted.
I saw myself. I was sitting down, crying and smiling at the same time. Everything inside me stopped functioning. My thoughts became all gooey, I really had no better words for that feeling, and my heart expended to a point where I thought it would actually either explode or escape my chest.
"That was when you let me come as a wolf after I brought you back. This was the moment I fell in love with you. You were scared but so brave at the same time. My heart stood no chance. It only grows stronger from here."
"I always feel warm inside when I'm around you," I pointed out absentmindedly.
"Well, that's a good thing, don't you think?"
"I like how it feels like, so yeah. It's a good thing."
The scenery changed and we were back to the rock field except it wasn't storming anymore. The sky was still grey but to a lesser extent than when I first arrived. He opened his mouth to say something but the sound of the ground giving in under my feet covered the words. The terror in his eyes and his hand vainly trying to grab mine were the last things I saw before being engulfed by the void.
The ceiling. I was staring at the ceiling. So I really hadn't died in the end. A scream coming from the other side of the room captured my attention. Rilos. I got up with the intent of running to him when I was intercepted by strong arms. Rilos was tied up on a chair, a power-cancelling bracelet strapped around his wrist.
"Vriany, let me go! Why is Rilos tied up like this?"
"Lyra, you have to calm down. Your wounds aren't done healing yet," said the giant.
"I don't care. Just tell me why he's that way or, even better, untie him."
"We can't do that, Lyra," intervened Satie. "He tried to kill you."
"Have you all gone completely mad?" I yelled. "I was the one who drove that piece of mirror inside my throat! There is no way Rilos would ever try to hurt me!"
"We found him kneeling and laughing maniacally in a pool of your blood. He had the shard in his hand and he muttered "happy that you're dead, uh?" before passing out. I think it's self-explanatory and you are very lucky that Nerika and Hyphas were with me or you wouldn't have survived. Rilos probably manipulated your memories to make you believe that you did this to yourself."
"He's not the type of person who would do that! You've known him longer than me. How can you believe for a second that he would try to kill his soul-mate after waiting for me for this long?"
"You've been fighting all week. Maybe he finally had enough."
"Lyra," rumbled a deep voice. Rilos. "Stop struggling. I don't want your wounds to reopen. Satie, why don't you go get Feolrn? She'll be able to tell us what really happened during the week because it seems we all have different versions."
She eyed him suspiciously but still obeyed. I relaxed against Vriany and he sat me back on my bed. We waited. Waited for the truth to shed a light on this week's events.