Chapter 80: A Wish Upon a Star

Hey guys! Finally done with the exams for now! And my teachers are on strike Thursday and Friday, so we don't have school :P Also, we are at 2k votes!! This is so cool :D This chapter is a bit slow, but it's cute nonetheless. I want to slow it down a bit because I have some neat stuff coming up. Have fun reading it! Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

I was currently in our bed with Rilos sleeping soundly beside me. A sleepless night in addition to a day spent reminiscing painful memories and running around could drain you out. I hadn't told him about feeling Jinary inside me yet. I didn't know if Jinary had noticed it and I had to admit that I was a bit scared of how he would react if he couldn't do the same with Keeshee.
"She's sleeping."
"Uh?"
"Your wolf. She's sleeping. She was happy to see Jinary today and he was happy to finally talk to you," said Rilos, stretching.
"You can feel her?" I almost cried in relief.
"She started talking to me when you were asleep yesterday. She was scared for you and that fear was more concerning for her than her fear of me."
"She's not scared of you," I replied.
"Not anymore. I didn't tell you immediately because I wanted to see if it would affect Jinary and you as well. I'm glad it did."
"What did she say to you and how did you know that I was thinking about something like that?"
Please don't tell me she said I loved you. Please don't tell me she said it for me.
"Calm down, Lyra. You're going to wake her. She commanded me to stay by your side until you felt better, something I would have done regardless of her intervention. She is very forceful by the way. And the only reason why she doesn't communicate as well as Jinary is because she's still young. Once you reach about fifty years old, it gets much better. As for how I know what you were thinking about, I just did. Fragments of your thoughts popped into my head. They become clearer and clearer with time. You'll probably going to start hearing mine too. That's in addition to my past you keep seeing."
"It seems like I'll spend a lot of time in your past since you are as old as this kingdom. Don't be too worried if I sleep late or if I'm lost in my thoughts. It'll probably be your fault."
"Here I thought that I always was the only thing on your mind. Truth really hurts," he smiled. "I just have to find a way to change that. Mmm. What to do? What to do? I could tickle you to death."
"You wouldn't," I whispered, slowly getting out of bed.
"Watch me."
I shrieked and sprinted behind the couch as he went after me. We ran and flew around the bedroom, only for me to end up lying on the floor with Rilos on top of me. We were both laughing wholeheartedly.
"It's been too long since I've seen you laugh like that, sweetheart."
"Right back at you, Elun. We need to get out more often and just be with each other."
"That's a great idea."
I cupped his face adorned with a peaceful and gentle expression. He automatically leaned in my palm, his eyes closing from delight. Everything inside me liquified like snow under the sunlight. This was a strange yet pleasing sensation.
"Rilos, are you made of fire?" I wondered dreamingly.
"Why are you asking me such a bizarre question, Lyra?" he asked, opening one eye.
"I seem to melt constantly when I am around you."
In a heartbeat, his mouth had fused with mine. Keeshee had woken up and was emitting pleased sounds at the attention I was given. Rilos was right; she wasn't afraid of him anymore. She was starting to like him just as much as I was. When he pulled back, flames were dancing in his eyes.
"Are you sure you're not fire? Your eyes scream otherwise," I panted.
"You are the most adorable wolf I've ever come across and it's like you're not even aware of how cute you can be. I can't imagine myself without you anymore."
"That's only up to you because I'm not going anywhere. I want to stay with you as long as the stars will allow us to."
"Want to go and ask them?" he smiled.
I nodded with enthusiasm. I loved looking at the night sky. He got off of me and I walked to the balcony.
"Not there. I'll show you someplace better," he said, catching my wrist.
He intertwined our fingers and I followed him out of our room. The corridors were empty with the exception of a few patrolling guards. He guided me to his office and closed the door behind us.
"How is this better than our room? You don't even have a balcony."
"Patience, red ridding hood," he chuckled.
One of his bookshelf moved away from the wall and in front of another. A black wooden door was hidden behind it. A white wolf paw was painted on and I saw, when he brought me closer, a large handprint engraved in it. Upon examination, a smaller handprint was inside the larger one.
"Place your hand on it."
I grazed the door with my fingers. It wasn't wood. It was colder and harder. Stone. It was one, giant, black stone. I placed my hand on the engraving and it fitted perfectly. I bet the bigger one was Rilos'. Suddenly, my hand was sucked through the door. I looked back at Rilos, panicking. He winked and pushed me. I tumbled on a landing between two staircases. One was going up and the other was going down. They were lit by small light spheres, similar to the ones we had in our room. A dimmer purple light was softly pulsating at the bottom of the stairs that went deeper.
"What's down there, Rilos?" I asked when I felt him come up behind me.
"You'll find out in due time. For now, we're going up to see your second favourite thing in the world."
"Second?"
"I am obviously your favourite and if I'm not, I'll just have to destroy whatever is."
"Don't worry, there's nothing else. Except maybe Jinary, but since he's you, I guess you are my favourite."
"Are you saying that you prefer Jinary over me?"
"He doesn't push me into stuff."
"He threw you in a pond."
"Point sustained."
We arrived up the flight of stairs and Rilos opened the door. The cold air hit me. I shivered and Rilos pulled me closer to him. I gazed over the edge of the tower and saw the village's lights in the horizon. The view was breathtaking.
"How come no one comes here?"
"Why do you think?"
"You're protecting it," I answered, looking up. "Rilos, we can't see the stars. Clouds are masking them."
"Lyra, what are clouds made of?"
"Hopes and dreams. Sometimes nightmares and sadness, depending on the colour."
"I remember that book," he chuckled. "But, really, what are they made of?"
"Evaporated water."
"And what can we do with water?"
"Control it. You want me to move those clouds?"
"Absolutely."
"I think you are overestimating me, but I'll try."
I focused on those and moved the water away from where we were. The sky became clear and I smiled proudly at Rilos.
"Looks like I didn't. Distance really isn't an issue with our powers. Now, go on. Talk to the stars."
I lay down and stared up. I sensed Rilos changing into Jinary, who slid under my head and licked the side of my face.
Dear little stars, breaking through the darkness, listen to my wish and help me find the tools to make it come true. I wish to stay by Rilos' side for the rest of our lives. I wish for Keeshee to be able to come out soon. I wish to be able to speak to tell Rilos how much he means to me.