Chapter 12: Relief and Connection

Note: The **** before a dialogue means it is telepathic.

The door opened and Satie came in.
"Lyra, I know you are scared. If you want to stop this now, you can."
I felt sadness washing over me. I wasn't sure whether it was mine or someone else's, but I didn't like feeling it. I'm okay. Let him in.
"Alright."
A black wolf stepped out from behind her. He was about 4ft 5in. Big, even for a werewolf. It was Rilos. His name was very fitting. He was as dark as the darkest night. His eyes were the same colour as the hot chocolate I had this morning. I sat on the floor and started crying. This was becoming a habit. Rilos whimpered, he wanted to come closer to comfort me but didn't want to scare me. I opened my arms and motioned him to come closer. He approached slowly, stopping from time to time to make sure I was still okay. When his head was near my hand, he stopped and looked at me. I could see all the emotions going through his mind: fear, happiness, relief, but mostly, love. I extended my hand and touched his muzzle. It was warm. I opened my arms again, I wanted a hug. He came closer and I circled his chest with my arms. He put his head over my shoulder and the whole world just disappeared. I cried harder as relief washed over me. He lapped my tears. Our heartbeats synchronized and I felt something pushing inside my head.
"Rilos wants to connect your thoughts, honey. Is that okay with you or do you need more time?"
I looked in his eyes and saw none of the negative emotions that I had seen with Sadist. I nodded. I wasn't scared. I was just happy.
"Okay, I'll put the barriers down. Protect her thoughts from everyone else but you and me, would you Rilos? Don't go too fast, she never communicated in thoughts before."
He laid down, wagging his tail slowly. He looked into my eyes and I saw a field full of baby blue flowers. I could see myself, sitting in the grass, humming. Some flowers moved and my other self looked and them and smiled. Rilos was there, in wolf form. I chuckled and put a flower crown I had been making on his head. He sat and tilted his head, his mouth wide open with his tongue out. I stood up and bolted away, laughing. He chased after me and made me fall. I played dead. He started whining and lapping my face to wake me up. I started talking but I couldn't hear my voice.
We were back in the bedroom. Rilos was still sitting in front of me, waiting for me to talk.

****
"Can you hear me, Rilos?"
"I can."
His voice was raspy, low and seemed like he had just been crying.
"Did I make you sad?"
"No, no, sweetheart. I'm just really happy to finally be able to talk to you face to face. It was hard to know that you were there but I couldn't see or hear you. Your letter was the best news I had received in forever. And Phylana was right, I would have waited forever in front of that door if you had needed me too."
"I like your voice. Did I just said that out loud?"
"You did, but thank you nonetheless." he chuckled.
"What did you just showed me? The field full of flowers. Is that a real place? Could we go there?"
"It is a real place. It's behind the castle. I showed it to you to put you at ease. That was a small wish too. I hope we can go one day and that you'll be able to talk. Now, why don't you tell me about yourself? I saw what happened in the last 3 months, but I want to know about you."
"I don't know where to start."
"What is your school level?"
"I never went to school."
"Did you have a private tutor?"
"No, I taught myself how to read and write. I can do basic mathematic equations. I read everything there was in the North's library about history, geography and art."
"Cyrian never gave you any kind of education?"
"No. Is education mandatory?"
"Yes, but then again, you didn't have a normal childhood. Satie told me you weren't allowed outside. Is that true?"
"Yes and no. I wasn't allowed outside of the inner walls of the castle or outside of my bedroom past 7pm. There was a part of the inner castle that was outside, between the castle and the training centre. I was allowed to go there."
"So you've never seen nature?"
"I could see the forest from the library but not go inside it."
"I'll take you running soon in the forest that is near the castle, I promise. It's beautiful, the leaves are a mix of red, pink and darkness, you'll love it."
****

His head was on my lap, his eyes up locked on mines. I yawned and looked around. Satie and Phylana went out while we were talking. I hadn't heard them leave. I was caught up in our own little world. I started petting him. I know I shouldn't do that since he was a human being and you don't pet humans but his fur was so soft under my fingers, I couldn't resist it. He didn't seem to mind either and started to wag his tail. I nuzzled his neck and inhaled.

****
"The stuffed wolf you sent smells exactly like you."
"It does?"
"Yes."
"What do I smell like?"
"You smell like rain."
"Like wet fur?"
"No," I chuckled. "More like a calm, peaceful rain. You smell like freedom."
"That's an interesting concept. You smell like the forest I talked to you about."
"I've never been there."
"I know. This forest is special. I'll tell you its story when we go there."
"What does the forest smell like?"
"It smells like books. Strong, fragile and a mystery for those who haven't read it."
"So I smell like a book? I think I like that."
"You are a book, sweetheart. A book that is impossible to read without a key."
"Who has the key?"
"You do. You have the key and only you can decide who gets to read your story."
"You mean you won't force me to tell you, or anyone, anything?"
"No, never. You decide what you want to share and with whom."
"Why are you calling me sweetheart?"
"I can stop if you don't like it. It's a way to show you that I love you."
"No, I like it. Is it the same as when Satie calls me honey or darling?"
"Yes it is. Although, I think I love you more."
"How do you know?" I yawned, my eyes closing slowly.
"I just do, sweetheart, I just do."
****

Author's note: The book part is a metaphor for her thoughts and mind, not for sex, you pervs :P