Chapter 73: Cut the Thread and I Will Fall

Hey guys! 24.1k views and 1.5k votes! Isn't that great? You are the ones who keep me going and I'm glad that you continue to like the story :) Don't forget to vote and comment! Love you all <3

I sat down, my back against the door, listening to the sounds coming from our bedroom. Rilos was coughing, his breathing becoming wheezy. Then, everything became silent. I jumped and tried to knock down the door.
"RILOS! OPEN THE DOOR! PLEASE! TELL ME YOU AREN'T DEAD!"
I searched for our link. It was there, thiner, but still there. Someone had poisoned him. I smiled grimly. That person was dead.
"FIGHT FOR ME! I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU IF YOU DIE!"
I appeared in the kitchen and, spotting Balio, ran to him. I threw him on the ground, held his hands above his head, gripped his throat and uncovered my teeth.
"Tell me who prepares our meals!" I growled, using my Alpha voice.
"I do, your Majesty," he replied calmly, but fear underlying his tone.
"Did you poison today's plate?"
"No, your Majesty."
"Who has access to them?"
"Only my sous-chef and I."
"Show them to me."
He pointed at a woman icing a cake. I got off of him and slammed the sous-chef against a wall, holding her up by the neck.
"Did you tried to kill Rilos by poisoning him?"
"Absolutely not, your Highness," she squealed.
"Did you let anyone near his meal?"
"I can't remember. There's a hole in my memory. Someone must have haltered it."
"Who has the power to do so?"
"I don't know," she said, gasping for air.
I released her. I would find out who did this to him even if it meant going through every mental barriers there were in the world.
"Cerc's wife. She's the one you're searching for, Lyra."
I turned around. Vriany. Of course he knew who was responsible.
"Tell me where she is."
"Eastern wing, third floor, fifth door on the left."
I grabbed his wrist and teleported us to the place he had directed me to. The woman was in the room, gazing outside and nervously clenching her hands behind her back. I blocked her powers; I didn't want her to make me forget why I was here in the first place. I also installed mental and physical barriers around the bedroom to prevent her from getting help. She didn't give Rilos a chance; I wouldn't give her one either.
"When I got used to the idea that Rilos was my soul-mate and that I would become Queen of all werewolves, I swore to protect every single one of them. I had forgotten that some wolves lack compassion and protective instincts. I don't care that they don't have these until they attack others, then it becomes my problem."
She had run to the door and was trying to open it. She wouldn't get out until I allowed her. If I ever did that is. I probably wouldn't. I clutched her collar and sent her flying to the opposite wall, a satisfying snap reaching my ears. She cradled her arm against her torso, pain and fury painted on her face.
"Soul-mates are a funny thing, aren't they? Ready to kill at the simple mention of harm against their other half. Can you imagine what they do when their soul-mate is actually hurt? You won't have to wonder for long because I will show you just how angry I am that you dared to attack the one who's mine. Do you think people will mind that I hurt you? I'll give you the answer since it probably would be too intellectually demanding for you. They won't. You attacked their King. You could have asked for a duel. He would have given it to you, but no. You preferred to be sneaky and poison his food, and mine. Two murder attempts. Against the King and Queen of werewolves. If you had tried to attack us face to face, I would have found you brave, incredibly stupid, but a little brave. Poisoning is just cowardly."
I smiled coldly at her as she got up and tried to throw me down. I kick her in her shin, breaking it on the spot. She fell and I put my foot on her throat, pinning her to the floor.
"You know, you have two things to be grateful for. First is that I am the one who got to you before anyone else learned what you had done to Rilos. If they get to you, they will tear you to pieces. Wolves, well, normal wolves, are extremely protective and I don't think that they will forgive you for this. What were you thinking, really? Attacking the one who protects and looks after every wolf. They all love him. Did you want to die that badly? Second thing you can be grateful for is that he won't die from your poisoning. Let's be honest, if he could die from that, I wouldn't be alive because he would have died long ago. If, for some reason, only your poison could kill him, I would have killed you the moment I came in. Instead, you'll get to spend a long time getting beaten by me. Aren't you happy?"
She shook her head.
"Well, you should have thought of that beforehand."
She changed under me and her grey wolf bit my leg. I blocked the pain receptors and dislodged it from her jaw. I kicked her muzzle, sending her teeth in her palate. Blood dripped from her mouth as she launched at me. I smirked and slapped her. She flew near Vriany and tried to attack him. I teleported her close to me and slammed my foot against her ribcage, breaking at least two of her ribs. I closed her mouth with my hand, bringing her eyes to my eye-level.
"Your fight is with me. You touch Vriany; I amputate both of your legs."
She growled and I let her go. This time, she went for my neck. As if I would let her kill me. I teleported myself over her and kicked her back. Her spine broke, prompting her paws to give in under her. She whined, attempting, and failing, to get back up. My link with Rilos became thiner again, trembling and threatening to break. Everything went red. Anger, fear and despair twirled inside my mind. I couldn't think logically anymore. If I was sure before that he wouldn't die, it wasn't the case now. The only thing I could see was our link on the verge of breaking. I couldn't stand that. I didn't want him to die. I wanted her to die.
Keeshee was throwing herself against the walls of my heart, attempting to claw her way through. I'm sorry, Keeshee. I can't let you out. I don't want you to kill Vriany by accident. The pack is going to need him. I wish Rilos could have seen you before we die. I'm sure you would have liked to run with his wolf. I had hoped that if I had to die, I would at least be complete before it happened. At least I got to have a taste of happiness. Isn't that what life is all about? Being happy? Before all of this, I wasn't scared of dying. I always thought that it couldn't be worse than what I was going through. But now, I have friends, a family. I have Rilos. It makes it much harder to let life slip between my fingers. Maybe we'll see each other after death. Wouldn't that be great? I'm scared. I'm really scared. Hey, Rilos? Won't you let me hear your voice one last time?