Chapter 79: Run By Me

Hey guys! It's been a while, again. I only have 6 weeks left of class and things are starting to get hectic. It should be calmer by Christmas. I'm really trying my best to write but college is kind of more important. Anyway, have fun reading the new chapter! Fun things are coming up, I promise. Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all and thank you for understanding <3

"Is there something you want to do today, sweetheart?"
"Don't you have work to do?"
"No. I purposefully finished it early so I could take the day off. I thought you might react the way you did so I made sure that I could be there for you the whole day."
"Are you always this perfect, Rilos?"
"Most of the time, but I'm also extremely protective of you and when I'm not with you, I'm usually very moody. You can ask anyone."
"I think Sanaelle told me about that once. I don't mind your protectiveness because I feel that I could become as protective, if that's not already the case."
"Well then, Miss Protective," he said, kissing my hair, "what do you wish to do? What's something you were never allowed to do?"
"That forest you went to after I was attacked, the one you said was beautiful. Can we go there?"
The scenery changed and we were now sitting in the middle of a clearing. The leaves in the trees were a combination of red, orange and yellow.
"You're right. This is beautiful."
"The leaves are like that all year long, actually. I don't know how that's possible but that's how it is. I shouldn't question stuff like that when we are able to live two hundred years, can use magic and turn into wolves, but I'm a curious person by nature."
I got up, dusted my pants and took off the hoodie. I smiled at Rilos maliciously.
"Tag, you're it," I laughed, touching his shoulder and running away in the forest.
I could feel the leaves crunching under my feet and the wind whipping my face. I jumped over roots, stones and stumps. I didn't care about getting lost. I knew Rilos would find me if it happened. I threw a glance behind me, to see if he was following me, and rammed into a tree. I fell backward, a bit stunned. I swear on the stars that this tree wasn't there before. It crouched to my level. It wasn't a tree; it was Rilos. He took my face between his hands and turned it gently from side to side, searching for injuries.
"Are you alright, Lyra? Did I hurt you?" he asked, concerned.
"It takes more than that to hurt me, Elun," I smiled, pressing my lips on his palm.
"Well, in that case, you're it," he said, tapping his finger on my nose and bolting away.
"Not fair! You can't just knock me out and make me 'it' right after!"
"What are you going to do about that, sweetheart?" he yelled back.
I ran after him. Good thing his shirt was blue or I would have had a hard time spotting him. Why was he so fast? Could I ever catch up? I stopped, gasping for air. I looked around but I couldn't see him anymore. I dropped my head, thinking about what to do next, when I heard rustling. A giant black wolf was sitting in front of me, its tail slowly wiggling.
"Hi, Jinary," I smiled. "What are you doing here? Did you completely take over or is Rilos here as well?"
He shook his head and rested it against my stomach. I stroke his fur, burying my face in it. It fascinated me how Jinary and Rilos smelled exactly the same.
"You know that Rilos wasn't running away from me, right? We were just playing. The point was for him to escape me. You can bring him back."
He shook his head once more and my chest constricted with something. Sadness.
"Rilos didn't make me sad, Jinary." Pause. Stars know how I was able to understand what he wanted to say. "I know that he's supposed to protect me but he can't do it against my own thoughts. I don't want him to." He pressed his nose where my soul-mate tattoo was. "I know you want her to come out and so do I. She's not ready. She's scared. No, not of you. She... cares for you. A lot. Give her time."
He went behind me and passed between my legs, making me sit on his back. I gripped the fur along his spine, trying not to fall.
"What are you doing? Okay, I'm holding on tight. Of course I trust you."
He sprinted to his left. He was running so fast that the trees blurred, soon becoming two long brown bands streaming by either sides of us. He braked in an clearing. A waterfall was coming out of a pile of rocks, plunging in a giant pond from which steam rose.
"This is beautiful, Jinary. Do you think the water is hot enough to swim in?"
He glanced at me and grinned. Seconds later, I was soaked, immersed in said water to my neck. I frowned at him, trying to look as angry as I could manage, which was very difficult considering how cute he was with his tongue out of his smiling muzzle.
"You have five seconds to get in here with me or I will either teleport you myself or make you sleep on the couch, depending on my mood."
I didn't have time to start counting that he had jumped in the water. I began panicking after ten seconds of not seeing him come out. A scream died in my throat when I felt arms encircling my midsection.
"Don't do that, Rilos. You gave me a heart attack. I thought you had drowned," I said, relaxing in his embrace.
"As if I would leave you alone. Jinary thought that this is what I was doing and he pushed  me aside. I don't know what happened between the moment he took over and when I transformed in the pond."
"He came back to me and he talked to me."
"HE WHAT?"
"Don't yell in my ear, big bad wolf," I grumbled, flicking his nose. "He just talked to me. I say talk, but he didn't used words per say. It was more like feelings and images, like Keeshee does. He is clearer than her, that's for sure. I understood everything on the first try. He thought you were the one making me sad. I explained to him that it was just a game and that you couldn't protect me against my own thoughts. He put me on his back and brought me here."
"That's amazing, Lyra!" he exclaimed, turning me around and hugging me. "You can talk to each other. If it continues like that, our link will be in place in no time!"
"It'll make you happy, right?"
"Of course! But I want it to make you happy as well. My happiness isn't important."
"It is to me."
"And you wonder why I love you," he said, kissing me. His smile changed into a frown. "Why were you sad? What made you feel that way?"
"You did."
"Really?" he asked, his face dropping even more.
"No, Rilos, no. You are the best thing that ever happened to me. Remember that. It's just..." I sighed and put my forehead on his chest. "You were running so fast ahead of me. I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever catch up."
"Lyra." He raised my head with his fingers, staring into my eyes. "I'm not ahead of you. I'm right by your side and I'll always be." He gave the corner of my eye a small peck and his lit up with something. "Aren't you dressed a bit too much to take a swim? Do you need help taking your clothes off?"
I, then, noticed for the first time since he appeared in the water that he wasn't wearing anything. Blood crept up my face, colouring it in a nice shade of red. I focused on his eyes, trying not to look down. I could feel his muscles moving under my fingers and that made concentrating incredibly difficult.
"I was kidding, sweetheart. Here." My clothes transformed into a black bathing suit. "Just enjoy the hot water. Sit on those rocks and relax."
I did as he told me even though I could still feel desire lurking inside my stomach. He took place beside me and started massaging my back. I melted under his touch and I might have dozed off a few times. Stars, his fingers were magical. I leaned against him, enjoying the contact of his skin with mine. Nothing else mattered at that moment. Death, guilt and sadness were out the window. The only important thing was his happiness. I felt Keeshee sigh with content and Jinary did the same. I could feel him inside me too. I would have to tell that to Rilos, but right now, I let the world be still. I was where I wanted to be.