Chapter 56: Fighting Dirty

Hey guys! We are at 9.12k views and 727 votes!! I can't believe it. I'm so happy that you all like the story so much :) I hope you'll like this chapter just as much. Love you all and don't forget to vote and comment <3 I changed chapters 1 and 9, so you might want to check that out :P

It was dark. I could feel sand under my feet. Were we at the beach? No, I didn't hear waves. I squeezed Rilos' hand.
"Where are we?"
"Why don't you tell me?"
"I can't see anything."
"Don't use your eyes. Use your powers, but not to bring light. Use them to feel your surroundings. Are you scared of the dark, sweetheart?"
"No. What makes you say that?"
"Your nails are digging into my palm. And you're a terrible liar."
"Shut up, big bad wolf," I said, placing a kiss on his lips.
Suddenly, I was able to see where we were in my mind. I had seen this place before.
"We're in the castle's arena, right? The one where you killed Henina."
"Exactly, well done."
The room was filled with light as torches hung on the wall started burning.
"What are we doing here, Rilos?"
"I want to see you fight. I want to assess how much you can defend yourself and others."
"Please tell me I'm not fighting you."
"I think we would both be too easily distracted. You're fighting against a physical projection that I control. One advice: Use everything you can to win even if that means playing dirty. Don't stop until they are dead or seriously incapacitated. Ready?"
I nodded. Someone appeared in front of me but they had no face. It lunged at me and rolled away from it. I teleported a sword in my hand. I knew I wouldn't be able to win at close combat since I couldn't change, so weapons were my best option. The thing also got one in hand and immediately attacked me. I blocked its sword and fought back. Metal clashing was the only sound that could be heard for a long time. I came to the realization that the thing was stronger than I was when I found myself cornered. I remembered Rilos' words, smiled and teleported myself behind the thing. One swipe was all it took to separate its head from its body.
"Good job, Lyra. Let's try again, but this time, no weapons allowed. Use your powers to win. They are your best bet since you can't call your wolf."
The thing reappeared with a sword and tried to hit me left and right. I flew out of its reach, thinking of a way to kill it without a weapon. I saw the water flowing under the arena and brought some to me. I changed it to ice, throwing it towards the thing's neck. It plunged deep inside and I move them away to decapitate it.
"Good. Now, you have to protect me against it and you can't kill it."
"What? Why?"
"I might need to interrogate it."
It appeared once again, this time, holding Rilos by the throat. I didn't think. Rage was the only thing there was in my mind. I severed its spine at the base of its neck. Not enough to kill it, although it was really, really tempting, but its body was no longer functioning. In a trance-like state, I continued to break every bones in its body, savouring the sound of each of them snapping. How dare it hurt Rilos.
"Lyra, that's enough. It's just training. It didn't hurt me."
I came back to reality hearing his voice and flew to the ground.
"Sorry. I don't know what came over me."
"It's fine."
When he saw me shaking at the sight of what I had done to the dummy, he motioned me to come to him. I ran into his arms, sobbing.
"I can't believe I did that. What if it had been a real person? Why didn't I stop after incapacitating it? I liked hearing its bones break. What is wrong with me? Am I becoming like Sadist?"
"Shh, Lyra. You're not like him at all. You didn't break its bones for the gist of it. You broke them because it had tried to hurt me and you can't support that. I'm your soul-mate and you reacted is the way I react every time someone hurts you."
"You didn't act like that when you captured Sadist, Dark-Soul and their men. You didn't act like that when Henina attacked me."
"I didn't because your safety was my priority. Remember that I tortured Henina for five hours when I thought that you were about to die. You didn't have to wait because you knew that I was safe. If I had been in danger, you wouldn't have done that. You're not like Mikyan because you wouldn't be crying over a projection. There's a reason why I didn't use a real person. I knew this would happen since I reacted the same way the first time I trained to protect people. I can tell you that my wolf wouldn't stop chewing on the dummy."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Let's try one last thing. Some wolves can cancel other werewolves' powers. They are called Blockers. In that case, you have to use close combat. Ready?"
"Yes, but where's the projection?"
"Oh, you're fighting against me for this one."
"You're kidding?"
"Nope."
"You said we wouldn't fight against each other," I said, running away from him.
"I changed my mind," he laughed, going after me.
"You can't do that."
"I'm the King. I can do what I want."
"Liar," I chuckled. "If that was the case, Sadist would be dead and wouldn't have a trial."
"You're right," he said, catching my wrist.
I tried to hit him with my leg, but he blocked it. We sped up, hitting and blocking. I knew he had the upper hand as he was stronger and more trained than I was. I smiled thinking of something. Time to fight dirty. I threw my leg at him and, as he blocked it, removed my shirt. He let me go in surprise. I took this opportunity to kick him behind the knees, pushing him on the ground and placing my foot on his throat.
"I win," I smiled, sticking out my tongue.
"Alright, I surrender. That was really dirty fighting, sweetheart. I don't know if it's going to be useful against enemies, but it is against me."
I extended my hand to him, removing my foot. He took it and got up.
"You're very good, Lyra. Most people aren't as strong as I am. You shouldn't have any problem beating them. Blockers are relatively rare anyway so you should be able to use your powers. Now, would you put your shirt on?"
"No, I'm comfortable that way."
"Do what you want," he groaned, rubbing his eyes with his hands.
"I was just teasing you, Rilos," I chuckled, putting it back on.
"You little minx."
He caught me and started to tickle me. I was wriggling and laughing, trying to escape his grip.
"I'm sorry. I give up."
"Alright," he said, stopping.
His mouth softly met mine.
"Looks like I'm the one who won in the end."
I smiled against his mouth.
"If that's what you do when you win, I'll let you win every time."