Chapter 89: Betrayal Tastes Like Iron

Hey guys! I believe this is a chapter that a lot of you, if not all of you, wanted for quite some time ;) I actually wrote it in August but never got a chance to insert it until now. Have fun reading it! Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

    How they were able to dissimulate their presence was a total mystery to me. They jumped on us out of nowhere. We were each grabbed by three men, one holding the neck and the two others holding one arm, and separated from one another. For some reason, my and Rilos' powers weren't working. He struggle to change, but wasn't able to. He looked around and snarled at something behind me.
    "Olran, I should have known that, as his second, you were aware of what Cyrian was doing to her. Using a Suppressor and a Blocker is low, even for you."
    "Now, now, Rilos. If you don't stop struggling, I will have to hurt your precious little soul-mate. I heard she lets out wonderful cries when you hit her ribs with a whip."
    He growled, but stopped moving.
    "Please, Rilos, don't stop fighting because of me. I can endure a few hits."
    "I'm not letting you get hurt, Lyra. Not when I can prevent it."
    "Looks like your soul-mate is catching up faster than you, Rishka."
    "I don't like you addressing me so familiarly, Olran, but please don't dirty my name by using it either. You can call me 'your Highness'. It's more fitting considering the ranks we occupy. Why can I project my voice, by the way, if the rest of my powers are blocked?"
    "You have developed a backbone, didn't you? It would be boring if you couldn't talk, so the Blocker is not shutting off that specific power."
    "I always had a backbone. You didn't know it because your guards were too scared of telling you that I've been beating them senseless since I was ten. They weren't even a challenge."
    "They never told me that and neither did you."
    "Oh please, like you would have believed me. Beside, I didn't want to ruin their reputations. Speaking of which: Hi Ayalo, it's been a while. Last time I saw you, your legs weren't working because someone had broke your spine. Who was it? Oh yeah, me! A ten years old at least 200 pounds lighter than you. I bet Olran didn't know that or he wouldn't have brought you with him. I hope it taught you not to shove me in a wall because I looked you in the eyes. If only I had been allowed to kill we wouldn't be in that position. At least, you wouldn't be."
    "Shut up!" the one concerned shouted, twisting my arm behind my back.
    "Is that all you can do? It's not even hurting," I taunted him. One mistake was all I needed.
    "Don't fall into her trap, Ayalo. We'll... discuss this later."
    "If you live long enough," smirked Rilos.
    "Oh, we will. Don't worry about it, but first, I want you to meet someone. Well, it's more of a reunion since you both already know him. He helped us get in here without being detected. There's a lot of anger and resentment in him towards you so it wasn't hard to recruit him. Why don't you come and say 'hello'?"
    I turned my head to see who was coming and blood left my face.
    "No. No. Why? I thought..."
    "You thought an apology was enough? You thought it would erase those fifteen years? Don't be stupid, Lyra. I want you to suffer for what you did to my mother," Norel coldly smiled.
    "Don't you think she already did, you bastard? She spent all those years blaming herself for something she had no control over. Cyrian is the one who killed your mother, but there you are, joining his side," yelled Rilos.
    "SHUT UP!" he roared, delivering a powerful blow to Rilos' jaw with his leg.
    Rilos looked at him, defiantly, not emitting a single sound as blood dripped from his mouth, his jaw dislocated.
    "It seems open season on the King has started. Beat him up real good, boys. Once he's broken down enough, we'll have fun with his Queen," Olran said, lecherously.
    I shivered, almost throwing up at the thought. One of the man who was holding Rilos down brutally kicked his ribcage with his knee. The sound of his bones snapping reverberated in the garden. I winced, but Rilos didn't even blinked enraging the man who continued until every rib on his side was broken. His breathing was laborious and I could hear his lung filling up with blood.
    "Stop, please!" I cried.
    "Lyra, I'm fine."
    "You're not. Your lung is pierced and half of your ribs are broken."
    "I've been through worse."
    "I don't care. Just stop, please. I'll do anything."
    "Your turn will come, don't you worry your pretty head about it. Why don't we take out your heart, my King, so you can feel what my little sister felt before you killed her? I know that Henina can be a bit... forceful in her actions, but she didn't deserve to die that way."
    "Henina was your sister? No wonder she seemed familiar and why she was such a bitch."
    "You finally caught up." My head suddenly propelled to the right. My ears were ringing and my left cheek was stinging. "Don't call my little sister a bitch, you whore. Is there a volunteer or do I have to do it myself?"
    "I'll do it," said Norel.
    "Please, Norel. Rilos never hurt you. I'm the one you're angry at. Do it to me instead," I pleaded desperately.
    "Lyra, Lyra, Lyra. It won't hurt you nearly as much; you're used to physical pain. You'll suffer way more if I do it to him," he replied, taking out a knife.
    He plunged the knife to the hilt into Rilos' chest. Blood oozed down his abdomen, slowly forming a pool around his knees. A mix of rage and helplessness rose in me. When I saw Rilos flinch and Norel holding out his heart, my mind went blank. I tasted blood, felt flesh under my teeth and heard bones smashing. After a moment, there wasn't any sounds except the loud beating of my heart in my ears and a voice.
    "Come here, beautiful. It's okay, I know that I'm scary, all covered in blood. The bad men are dead now. You can calm down." Rilos. I walked to him. Well, I tried. I fell in the grass. "It's been a while since you last came out. Did you forget how to walk, Keeshee?"
    Keeshee? What is he talking about? I glanced down. Those were paws and a muzzle. Mine. I turned around to see the rest of my wolf. Why was I this rusty colour? Last time I checked, my fur was white. Then I noticed my surroundings. The grass was soaked red and limbs were dispersed all around me. Had I done this by myself?
    "Yes, you killed them. Good job on that. They didn't stand a chance."
    I was divided. On one side, I was happy. They had hurt my soul-mate and deserved it. On the other side, I had just killed eight people. Eight. I looked at Rilos, fear running inside me. I felt my bones and muscles change and I became human again. I was covered with those men's blood. Rilos had gotten up and took me in his arms, hugging me.
    "It's okay, sweetheart. I've got you. Everything's fine."
    "It's not. I just killed those people. Why didn't I just break their neck? I slaughtered them, Rilos. Of course they didn't stand a chance, I'm a thousand times more powerful than they ever were."
    "Lyra, you didn't used your powers once. Keeshee did that all by herself. Remember when we practiced protecting people for the first time? You had the same reaction."
    "But we practiced more since then. I was able to do it without killing anyone."
    "That was in a controlled environment and you didn't have your wolf. This is real life. Keeshee is the manifestation of your emotions and they weren't happy at all for a good reason. Anyway, if you hadn't killed them first, I would have for what they wanted to do to you."
    "What is Yrebor going to say? First, I get his wife killed and then I murder his son. What about these guys' families? Rilos, what have I done?"
    He pulled me up until my face was on the same level as his.
    "You did what I expect anyone with a soul-mate to do. Protect them. Lyra, Norel had just ripped out my heart and they were talking about raping you afterwards. You eliminated a threat. As for their families, we are going to show them what happened. How they handle it will depend solely on them. We are going to give them resources if they need it."
    "What if they think we're lying?"
    "They won't because I will ask Feolrn and the Judge to confirm what happened. Neither of them can lie."
    I heard two sets of feet running towards us. Vriany and Talia.
    "Are you alright, your Majesties?"
    "Did she kill all of them or do I have to hunt someone down?" asked Vriany.
    "All dead. You need to clean this up as quickly as you can. Keep what happened here a secret until we've dealt with the families. And not a word to anyone about Lyra being able to transform, am I clear? We are going to get cleaned up. Once you're done, come to our room. We'll discuss what needs to be done concerning security."
    They nodded and Rilos and I were in the bathroom in a heartbeat. He put me down, kissed my forehead and turned around with the intention to walk out. I grabbed his shirt without thinking. He stopped.
    "You have to let me go, Lyra."
    "I know that this is a lot to ask you, Rilos, but I need you here. I'm terrified that if I'm alone, my mind will get the best of me and I will snap. Please, Elun. I'm begging you. Don't leave me alone. Not now."
    The hand holding his shirt was shaking just as much as my voice was. The fabric slid out of my clutch. The door closed and locked. I should have known that it was too hard, seeing me naked without being allowed to do anything. I was suddenly smothered against material covered muscles.
    "I'll always be here for you, sweetheart. No matter how difficult things get, I'll stay by your side, I promise."