Chapter 20: Missing You

Wow, 800 views and over 50 votes?!?! You guys are awesome! Here's the new chapter. I might slow down in the next two weeks, since the finals are beginning. As always, don't forget to comment and vote. Love you all :)

This time, I woke up without being startled or scared. I got up, without waking Rilos, and got clothes from the closet. I went to the bathroom and started the shower. I placed myself under the stream, humming as the hot water flooded over my body. I washed myself vigorously, trying to get rid of what I had saw in the nightmare. I knew this hadn't happened in reality, but I still felt the need to clean myself as hard as I could. I heard something rushing and opening the bathroom door.

****
"HAAAAA!!!! Rilos, what are you doing?"
I covered myself like I could with my hands. He saw me, naked, in the shower and closed his eyes quickly.
"Sorry, Lyra. I didn't see you when I woke up and I panicked."
"You could have used your senses, you big dummy."
"I acted on instinct, I was scared of what happened in my nightmare had become true."
"Okay, now that we cleared this up, would you get out? I'm uncomfortable."
"Sure."
****

I sighed. Having uneventful days was apparently not for me. I finished my shower, got dressed and went out. Rilos was lying down on the floor, his eyes closed. Breakfast was on the table.

****
"You never give up, don't you?"
"Neither do you." he smiled.
"Have you already eaten?"
"No, I'm not hungry."
"You're going to need food. You said that you would have a rough day. Eat with me. Food is always better when we eat together."
"You're right."
****

A plate appeared in front of him. I ate slowly to make sure that he would finish his plate. He made them disappear as soon as we were done. Satie came in at that moment.
"Good morning you two. I heard you had quite an eventful night."
"We did. I'll go catch that person now. Take care of her, as always."
"When didn't I?"
Rilos got up and I hugged him hard. I didn't want him to go. I was still scared.

****
"I know you're scared, sweetheart, but I need to go."
"Come back whole, would you?"
"I promise. I love you, Lyra."
****

He left, throwing back some glances from time to time, as if he didn't want me to disappear.

****
"I'm not going anywhere. Go."
****

The door closed behind him. If I wasn't already sitting down, I probably would have fallen.
"This nightmare really affected you both, didn't it?"
More than I like to admit.
"Let's change your state of mind. What did you learned by yourself?"
I can read, write and do basic mathematics. I learned all about geography, history and art in books.
"Okay, let's fill in what you don't know. I think biology would be a good way to start. You need to know how a body works if you want to repair it."
Don't we already heal pretty fast?
"Yes, but sometimes you need this healing to be faster. For example, when you came in, Rilos healed you since your body was having trouble doing it by itself. Now, I heard that you finished learning to control water, correct?"
I did, it was really fun. Ylna is very nice.
"She is. I don't have the power to heal, but I know someone who does. First, I'll teach you how organs work and she'll show you how to repair them."
By dinner, I knew how cells, organs, nerves and blood worked. Satie and I ate and she told me that her friend would come soon. I sat in front of the window. I really liked the feeling of the sun on my skin. I thought about Rilos. When was I not, really? I thought that maybe we could try going further tonight. I was alright with him in another room when human. Maybe I could be alright with him in the same room as a human but with my eyes closed. I was getting nervous just thinking about it, but I missed, needed, skin to skin contact. Whether I liked it or not, werewolves are social creatures and him being a wolf and me human was just not enough. I was sure that he felt the same way, although he wouldn't say it for my sake. If I could transform, that would be okay, but I was still unable to. I brought my knees to my chest. Should I even be called a werewolf if I am unable to be a wolf?

****
"Of course you're still a werewolf, Lyra."
"How much of my thoughts did you caught?"
"Just that part. I felt your sadness and heard that sentence. You are not responsible for your latency and I will love you even if you are unable to change for the rest of time."
"Thank you, Rilos."
"You're welcome, sweetheart. Work well."
"Always."
****

I lifted my head and someone new was standing in the room.
"I'm sorry, Lyra. I didn't warned you that she had arrived, but you seemed in an important discussion with Rilos."
I was. Thank you for waiting after we were done.
"This is Nerika, patience. She has the ability to heal any injuries."
"Except decapitation. It's kind of definitive."
She was small and didn't seem much older than me. Her hair were black with streaks of red. Is your wolf black and red?
"She doesn't have telepathy. I'll connect you to her, so you can ask her yourself. She won't respond in your head, but like I'm doing right now."
I felt my mind connect to someone else. Nerika?
"That's me."
I wanted to know if your wolf was like your hair, red and black.
"Why don't I show you?"
Really? That would be great. She changed and sat down. Her wolf was black, except for her paws and end of her tail, which were red. She transformed back.
"Pretty cool, no?"
Yes, I smiled. I had never seen a wolf of an other colour than naturals one.
"It's a change that has been happening recently. I've seen some blue wolves and a green one. There's a mutation in the colour genes, but we don't know what's causing it. His Majesty assured us that there wasn't going to be negative impacts on our health, so that's good. People were worried when we were first born but we are all doing fine."
How does Rilos know that you won't have any health problem?
"He looked in the future. He never does it, except if it's related to the survival of the population. The mutation could have mean our doom, but he looked and said that it was normal. When humans found out about us and started decimating us, he looked and found that we would go instinct if nothing was done. He opened another dimension and brought us here. This is Earth where humans will never exist. We are safe here. The King thinks that we mutate because we don't need to hide anymore. Now, let's start your training, shall we?"
Yeah, I nodded enthusiastically.
"You can control water, right? Healing is going to be easier for you, then. Scanning a body is like searching for water. You need to visualize what's inside and find what is wrong. Once you find what's wrong, you can repair it. Now, I'll cut myself and you'll grow back the skin cells to heal the cut."
She took a knife and cut the palm of her hand. I took her hand in mine and, almost out of instinct, made the blood vessels and skin heal.
"That was quick. I thought it would take you more time to be able to do it. It's like you've been doing it your whole life. Want to try a broken bone?"
What? On you? Won't breaking your bone hurt? I don't want to do it if you're going to hurt yourself.
"Don't worry. I can block the pain. I'll show you how after."
I saw her radius break on its own. How did you do that?
"If you can repair something, you can break it. Now, heal it up."
I did. Healing bones was harder, but I still managed to do it in less than a minute.
"Good job, your Majesty."
Don't call me "Your Majesty", it's weird. I'm just Lyra.
"You're the King's soul-mate. It's only fitting that you are called "Your Majesty", but if you want me to call you "Lyra", I'll call you "Lyra"."
Thank you, I prefer that.
"Wanna try to heal organs now? After that, we'll block pain."
Healing organs was easier than bones. She taught me to block the pain by inhibiting the pain receptor. It made the part of the body numb and insensible to pain. Unlike Ylna, Nerika was very serious which was fine, since healing was harder than controlling water. Rilos came back just before supper. I hugged him. Would I ever stop missing him when he was gone?

****
"You'll never stop missing me, sweetheart, because every time I leave, I take a part of you with me. And when I'm gone, I leave a part of me with you."
****