Chapter 65: Rain Will Save You

Hey guys! We have 1.04k votes on the story :o !! I never thought we would get there! I can't thank you enough for the support you give the story, it makes me so happy :) Also, 16.1k views which is 1.6k more than last chapter! You guys are seriously the best readers I could ask for. I love you all <3 Have fun reading this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment :)

    Cold. Dark. I didn't like this. Where was I? I couldn't see anything. I couldn't see. Oh no. Please. I didn't want it to happen again. I can't go through that again. I couldn't hear either. I tried moving around. Surprisingly, I wasn't bound to anything. I sat up and a wave of nausea washed over me. I felt something cold on my forehead. A cloth? A hand grabbed my chin. I slapped it, scrambling as far from it as I could. I arrived at the edge of what I was on and fell on the floor. I yelped as I felt my wrist yield under my weight. I attempted to heal it, but I wasn't able to access my powers. Had this all been one huge cosmic joke? A feverish dream caused by the horror of the torture? The stars mocking me by showing what I could, but never would, have?
    Vibrations on the ground. Someone was coming closer. Probably Sadist. Why had he taken away my hearing? This wasn't like him at all. He loved telling me how useless I was. Maybe he was doing this so I couldn't tell when he was going to hit me. I recoiled as something approached me. I don't want to get hit! I don't want to get hit! Heat spread in my arm and my broken bones fused back together. Was there a Healer in the room? Was this part of his plan too? Heal my bones automatically so he could break them more often? I knew he was twisted, but this reached a whole new level of perversion. His hand once again came close to my face. Backed against a wall and seeing no other option, I bit it as hard as I could until a metallic taste blossomed into my mouth. Strangely enough, he didn't try to remove his hand from my mouth and I didn't receive one hit for what I was doing. Why was he behaving like this? I didn't like it one bit. An unpredictable Sadist was incredibly dangerous. Not that I liked it more when he was predictable. I was just more terrified than ever. I added more pressure to my jaws until I felt one of his metacarpal break. I knew right then that I had gone too far. There was no way that he would let this pass. I released his hand, protecting my head with my arms. I inhaled sharply, preparing myself for the blows to come.
    Rain. The smell of rain overwhelmed me. Along with it was a faint fragrance of orange and flowers. My shampoo? Rilos! These two scents combined could only mean that Rilos was here. I felt around, frantically searching for him. I bumped into something. I traced the form with my hands. Legs. A strong arm. Strong, but shaking. I followed the arm to a face. The stubble combined with the shape of his jaw confirmed that this person was a man. His cheeks were damped. I brought my fingers to my tongue. Salty. Tears. I ran my fingers through his hair. They were as long as I remembered. I brushed my thumb over his lips. It was him. I was sure of it. I threw my arms around his neck, burying my nose in the crook of his neck. He rubbed my back and pressed his lips on my head. I felt them move, but I still couldn't hear anything. Or see for that matter. I took his forearm and wrote with my finger: I can't hear. He traced my spine and something unlocked inside me.

****
    "Lyra?"
    "Thank the stars, it's really you!" I sobbed. "I'm scared. Sadist is here. He took my eyes again and my hearing. I can't use my powers. I'm really trying to be strong, Rilos, but I'm terrified. I don't want him to hurt you."
    "Lyra. Sadist isn't anywhere near you. He's been in jail since I got you out of the Northern castle."
    "But I saw him and I bit him. I broke one of his fingers."
    "That was me. Both times."
    I fell backwards, bringing my hand over my mouth and tears swelling up in my eyes.
    "No. No, no, no. You're kidding, right? Please tell me that it's a joke."
    "I wouldn't lie to you, Lyra."
    "I broke your finger. Oh the stars, Rilos. I BROKE YOUR FINGER!" I cried.
    He picked me up, pulling me close to his chest.
    "Shh. It's okay, sweetheart."
    "IT'S NOT OKAY! Why didn't you removed your hand from my mouth? Why did you look like Sadist? Why can't I hear or see anything? Why can't I access my powers?"
    "Lyra, I need you to calm down. The more scared and stressed out you are, the harder it's going to be for me to undo what has been done."
    What was he talking about? The man! What was his name? Cerc? The heat on my lower back. That man had done something to me. Let's just do what Rilos said. I took deep breathes, clinging to his shirt. Slowly, my heartbeat decreased and my breathing became less shallow. I felt his lips on my forehead.
    "Good girl. I'm going to put you on the bed, alright? I'll lift up your shirt and your back will feel cold. Please, bear with it."
****

    I couldn't help but jump a little when the cold spread on my skin. It was a lot colder than snow. I fisted the sheets around me, biting my lower lip. Gradually, sounds reached my ears. Rilos was singing. I could see light, forms. We were in our bedroom. I felt my powers inside me. I turned around, throwing myself in his arms. We fell backwards and he let out a relieved chuckle. He kissed my eyes, my nose, my cheeks and, finally, my lips. His eyes were red, but were shining with happiness. He gently stroke the side of my face. I projected my voice.
    "What happened to me?"
    "You were cursed, for lack of better terms. How this works is that it shows you what scares you the most. The more scared you are, the stronger the effects are going to be. You must have been incredible terrified for you to lose two of your senses."
    "Why? What was I supposed to lose first?"
    "Generally, only the contact with reality is gone. If you hadn't calmed down, you could have lost your touch. At that point, nothing can make you come back. Not even my powers."
    "Did it block my powers as well?"
    "No, I did."
    "Why would you do that? Do you know how panicked I was when I couldn't feel them?"
    "I know; I was there. Do you know what you did with your powers? You blew up one of our walls, you sent a dagger made of ice through my skull and you cut off my right arm. You were out of control and I couldn't risk you killing people by accident."
    I sat back up, tears rolling down my face. I couldn't believe it. How could I have done something this horrible to my own soul-mate?
    "You weren't in your right mind, sweetheart. I don't blame you at all. And I'm able to block pain, remember?"
    He sat me on his crossed legs, encircling my mid-section with his arms.
    "The curse made you believe that I was Mikyan and you reacted like I thought you would. You tried to kill him."
    "Did you know, when you came in, that I was cursed?"
    "Yes and no. The Judge told me that you had apprehended Cerc and I was simply going to find you to talk to you about it. I didn't know what he had done to you until I came in and you screamed and passed out. I saw the symbol on your back and tried to remove it, but you were too far gone for it to work. I noticed straight away that you couldn't see. You were looking around aimlessly while I was sitting right next to you. By that point, I was almost as terrified as you were and that's why I touched you. When you swatted my hand away, I was shocked, but mostly relieved because it meant that I still had a chance to bring you back."
    "Why didn't pull out your hand when I bit you?"
    "How would you have reacted, Lyra? I knew you thought I was Mikyan and if I removed my hand, you would think that it was to hit you. I didn't want you to think that I was going to hurt you so I blocked the pain and waited for you to come to your senses. How did you realized that I was there, by the way?"
    "Rain, oranges and flowers. A combination I smell everyday, and yet, never get tired of."
    "I hope you never do," he softly smiled. "and if you do, I'll change our soap."
    "Speaking of which, I need a shower. I am so sweaty."
     I dislodged myself from Rilos' arms and got out of bed. As soon as my feet touched the ground, my legs gave in and I fell down.
    "Are you alright, sweetheart?" he asked, picking me up.
    "I think you might have to help me get to the bathroom. It seems like my legs won't carry me there on their own."
    "Anything for you, Lyra," he murmured against my temple.
    He lowered me into the tub, gently smoothing my hair. He kissed me on the forehead and was about to leave when I caught his wrist.
    "Can you stay here a little longer?"
    He looked at my trembling hand and his eyes softened.
    "As I said: Anything for you."
    "What if I asked you to get in the tub with me?" I smiled, devilishly.
    "Careful red ridding hood, nothing good comes from tempting the big bad wolf."
    "Wouldn't be the first time I play with fire and it certainly won't be the last."