Chapter 72: Darkened Reflexion

Hey guys! I know it's been a while. College is intense when we get close to reading week and I don't have a lot of time to write. It should die down in less than two weeks. I also just saw that we had 22.2k views :) You are so awesome and make me so happy! Have fun reading this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment. Love you all <3

I stayed there, comforting him. I've had years to come to term with what I had done. I deeply regretted my actions, but that wouldn't change the past. His tears fell more and more sporadically, bringing his sadness to an end. I brought my palms to his cheeks and dried them with my thumbs.
"You'll never try again, right?" he asked, his voice raspy from emotions.
"I promise. After all," I kissed under his right eye, "I've found my reason to live."
"Oh. And what might it be?"
"He's this guy I met a few months ago. He's tall, has long blond hair and dreamy brown eyes. His wolf is pitch black and his powers defy the limits of imagination. What was his name? I don't remember. It began with an "R". Maybe Raspberry or Rice? I think it might be Rice. Rice sounds good. Do you know who I'm talking about?"
"I have an idea, but his name isn't Rice. It's Rilos and he is madly in love with you."
"Really? Maybe you could present him to me."
"Sure. Why not? Close your eyes."
I smiled and did as he told me.
"You can open them now."
I blinked and came face to face with myself. I laughed, touching the mirror that was floated in front of me.
"Rilos, that's not you at all."
"Good observation, Lyra. I'm showing you your reflection because I want you to be your own reason to live. You are a wonderful, strong and determined person. I believe you can overcome any obstacle that block your path and, for now, I can be your crutch. However, that's not what I'll be our whole life. I want you to use your strength to fly freely with your own wings. When that happens, I'll be beside you, bringing you up if you go down and expecting you to do the same for me. Love is not chaining the other to you, it's setting them free."
"Stupid man," I chuckled. "I've never seen you as a binding or a cane. You're my soul-mate and being tied to you is nowhere near bad. I've been chained up for months and I don't feel restrained at all when I'm with you. I couldn't believe that there was something outside my cage, Rilos, but you opened the door and showed me how to fly."
"You are amazing, did you know that?"
"You tell me every single day."
"You do know that I'm still here, right?" commented Vriany.
"What is it, Blondie? Is our love too much for you to take?"
"Yes. That and you still have one person to see. Serala has been waiting since the beginning. You should probably go talk to her. Cerc is her father after all."
"Are you coming along, sweetheart?"
"Serala is Delalie's lover, no? If that's the case, of course I'm coming. Even if she isn't, I'm coming with you. If things get out of control again, I'll go back."
"It should be fine. Her power allows her to call and talk to animals. She can't call them if she's not completely conscious of her actions."
"I would have hated to be swarmed by bees or tigers. Are you going to ask Delalie to be there?"
"I don't know. What do you think?"
"Maybe we should ask her if she wants to come or not."
Vriany's office became a blur and we appeared in front of a close door. By "we", I mean "I" because Rilos was nowhere in sight. I knocked and Delalie opened it. Her eyes widened and she bowed immediately.
"Hello your Majesty. I wasn't expecting you."
"You can get up. I should have tell you ahead but it was a last minute decision."
"Don't worry about it. Please come in. I wasn't doing anything special anyway."
I entered and she closed the door behind me. She dragged a chair near her bed and sat on the latter.
"Thank you," I said, taking place on it.
"We saw each other a few hours ago. What is the purpose of your visit?"
"Is the woman you love named Serala?"
"Yes. Have you met her?"
"Not yet. Rilos has things he wants to discuss with her and we wanted to know if you wanted to be there. I also need you to tell me how much we can tell her about what happened to you."
She thought about it for a moment, covering her eyes with her hands. She sighed and her black eyes met mine.
"I want to be there and I'll be the one telling her what he did to me."
"I'll be there for you."
"I know you will, your Majesty. I feel like you wouldn't abandon any of us even under death threats."
"Absolutely true. Oh, I have to inform you: the person who was there during those events, we caught her. She's in jail and will be judge alongside Cerc."
"That's great. I was scared that she would be able to walk freely despite what she had done. How did you get her?"
"Rilos forced the ones who knew about what Cerc was doing to you guys to identify themselves. Are you ready to go?"
"Yes."
I grabbed her hand and teleported us to Rilos' office. He was standing up, contemplating the gardens by the window. His nails were digging in his arms and a faint smell of blood invaded my nostrils. I walked to him and pried his fingers open, healing the wounds.
"Don't do that to yourself, Elun. I hate seeing you hurt."
He glanced at his nails and made the crimson fluid disappear. He hugged me, kissing my forehead.
"Sorry, sweetheart. I hadn't noticed. Hello Delalie. Nice to see you again."
"Your Highness," she replied, bowing.
"You can sit down. I want to inform Serala about what her father did to you. Do you have any objection on that matter?"
"Only one. I shall be the one telling her."
"Are you sure about this, Delalie? You don't have to."
"Someone once told me that I was an incredibly courageous wolf and I think it's time for me to show it."
"You have nothing to prove to me," I said.
"I know, but I think that it would be better for her to hear it from me. She'll only be angry at me and not at you."
"Serala is not like that. She won't be angry with you because you had no choice in this. She will be mad at me because it was my job to protect you and she will be even angrier at herself because she'll think that it's her fault it happened to you."
"It wasn't her fault! She had nothing to do with this."
"When we mess up, we, Alphas, feel incredibly guilty. It goes with the responsibilities we have. It doesn't matter if it really was our fault or not, we'll blame ourselves nonetheless. Ready to talk to her?"
She sighed deeply.
"Yes."
"Serala, please come in."
The door opened and the woman, upon seeing Delalie, threw herself in her arms.
"Are you alright, darling? Why are you here?"
"I'm... I'm not fine and I think you should sit down before I tell you about it."
"What's wrong? You're making me nervous," she asked, bringing her chair closer to Delalie.
"You know the King and the Queen arrested your father, right?"
She nodded.
"Do you know why?"
"He was beating up Betas and Omegas and forcing them to lie about it. He hurt children too."
"There was something else."
Serala looked at us, confusion marking her traits.
"What was the last thing I talked about, Serala?"
"Rape."
Her eyes widened, struck by realization, and she covered her mouth, turning her head towards Delalie.
"No. You? He did that to you?" She started crying. "Why? Why would he do this to you? You never did anything wrong."
"I am the one who destroyed his perfect plans by falling in love with you."
Serala got out of her chair and tightly hugged Delalie.
"I'm sorry, darling. I am so sorry."
"Not your fault, Serrie, not your fault."
"Can I kill him?" she sobbed.
"No, he's mine," I said. "But there was someone else with him when he did that. You can kill that person if you want, right Rilos?"
"She's all yours if you want to."
"There was someone else? Don't mind if I do kill her, your Majesties. Where is she?"
"In jail until her's and Cerc's trial. Don't go down to kill them. You'll be in so much trouble, I doubt I could get you out of them."
"Don't worry, your Highness. I won't throw away my opportunity to spend the rest of my life with Delalie only for the sake of revenge. It will be dealt with in due time."
"Alpha to the bone, aren't you?"
"I've had the best teacher after all."
"Two days. In two days you will be able to put out the fire that burns in your heart."
"Thank you. Come on, Dela, let's get going."
They went out, hand in hand, supporting each other. Rilos intertwined his fingers with mine and made us appear in our room. Food was already on the table. He smiled and guided me to it. I let him take a bite first. I wanted to make sure that he would not skip this meal. He needed to eat. He swallowed and I brought a fork full to my mouth.
"DON'T!" he yelled, slapping the utensil away from me. "It's been poisoned."
"What? How?"
"I don't know, but you need to get out of this room," he said moving away from me.
"I won't. I want to be there for you."
"This wasn't a request, Lyra. It was an order."
"Rilos..." I choked.
"GET OUT! IT'S DANGEROUS! Please, I can't protect you against what will happen," he murmured feebly.
"I can protect myself."
"Not from this."
"Don't shut me out," I pleaded.
I was teleported outside our room. It was locked and I had no way of going in either by magic or physically. I banged on the door desperately.
"Let me in! Please, Rilos!"
"Don't make this harder for me, Lyra. I need you to stay outside. Can you do that for me?"
"I'll do anything for you, Rilos. Anything," I sobbed in frustration. "Please don't die, Elun. Please. I can't live without you."